Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

Garage
Boxster won't start...

Left my '99 boxster on a trickle charge. Then when I went to start it, after it had been sitting for 5 days, nothing. It had been super cold. I Went through the usual checks. Battery is almost new. No blown fuses. Thought it might be the clutch switch, but alas no.

Then I checked the starter relay switch in the trunk. I did that little trick with wire and two male connectors after removing the starter relay. Good news is the car turned over. But she wouldn't fire up. Thought maybe it WAS the starter relay switch so I purchased one from the local dealership. Popped it in today and NOTHING. Car wouldn't even turn over.

I'm not sure what to check next? Any suggestions?

NUFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

Try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and reconnect it.
Check for water under your driver's seat. It could be that your immobilizer got wet. (I hope not)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:16 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds and reconnect it.
Check for water under your driver's seat. It could be that your immobilizer got wet. (I hope not)
Thanks. I think it might be the immobilizer. Fuse E1 was popped. Put another 7.5 fuse in and it popped right away. Took out the drivers seat and removed the immobilizer unit. It wasn't wet under the seat, but it did feel damp. No sitting water though. I have the unit in the house. Hoping it will be okay. Ordered some new fuses. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUFC3 View Post
Thanks. I think it might be the immobilizer. Fuse E1 was popped. Put another 7.5 fuse in and it popped right away. Took out the drivers seat and removed the immobilizer unit. It wasn't wet under the seat, but it did feel damp. No sitting water though. I have the unit in the house. Hoping it will be okay. Ordered some new fuses. Fingers crossed.
With the immobilizer removed, try putting a fuse in. If it blows, you'll know the short is somewhere else, not the immobilizer. There are several other items on that circuit that could cause the short.

DO NOT Turn the ignition on without the seat plugged in. It will trip the seat belt light and you can't reset it without an advanced scan tool like Durametric.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:44 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
With the immobilizer removed, try putting a fuse in. If it blows, you'll know the short is somewhere else, not the immobilizer. There are several other items on that circuit that could cause the short.

DO NOT Turn the ignition on without the seat plugged in. It will trip the seat belt light and you can't reset it without an advanced scan tool like Durametric.
Thanks. I have new fuses arriving today. I'll put the seat back in and see if the fuse pops without the immobilizer.

I did take the immobilizer unit apart and it looks fine. No sign of damage at all.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks. I have new fuses arriving today. I'll put the seat back in and see if the fuse pops without the immobilizer.

I did take the immobilizer unit apart and it looks fine. No sign of damage at all.
Well, that's a relief! Good luck.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Well, that's a relief! Good luck.
Replaced fuse WITHOUT the immobilizer being connected and it popped. So that's good news. But I still don't know what my issue is? Why does the E1 fuse keep breaking?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Replaced fuse WITHOUT the immobilizer being connected and it popped. So that's good news. But I still don't know what my issue is? Why does the E1 fuse keep breaking?
That's very good news! That fuse also powers the radio and the instrument cluster. I imagine the radio would be easier to unplug and see if the fuse blows. Or you could have a pinched wire somewhere in the harness that's shorting. But I'd try pulling the radio next.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
That's very good news! That fuse also powers the radio and the instrument cluster. I imagine the radio would be easier to unplug and see if the fuse blows. Or you could have a pinched wire somewhere in the harness that's shorting. But I'd try pulling the radio next.
It was the radio. I couldn't be happier! Took the Boxster out for a spin to celebrate. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
It was the radio. I couldn't be happier! Took the Boxster out for a spin to celebrate. Thanks.
AWESOME! Glad to help!

Thanks for posting the solution!

Last edited by piper6909; 01-13-2021 at 03:15 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote