Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Smile Fault code 4216 and 4460

Hello everyone,

My 2002 base boxter is having problems with the ABS and PSM system. When I interrogated it with my scanner I got two error codes: 4460 and 4216. The latter indicates that the sensor of the left rear tire is failing. Do any of you know what the code 4460 means and is there any way to determine the part number for the speed sensor compatible with my vehicle?

I had problems with the part number of the oxygen sensor, my car is 2002 but has early oxygen sensors, could I have the same problem with the speed sensor?

One more thing the oxygen sensor located in the same side is falling is it related?

I would appreciate any assistance and thanks in advance

Regards,

Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
From the section on PSM version 5.7

Fault code 4460: "Pressure sensor actual value is elevated and displays an implausible value."
Possible causes of fault:
  • Adjustment of stop light switch is not OK.
  • Brake light switch is faulty.
  • Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in control unit circuit.
  • Booster pump faulty.
  • Pressure sensor faulty (hydraulic unit).
Old 11-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

Thanks 78F350

Could the sensor failure precipitate the code 4460? or
Could the Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in control unit circuit explain the oxygen and velocity sensors failure in the same side of the car?

🤔

Regards
Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
Thanks 78F350

Could the sensor failure precipitate the code 4460? or
Could the Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in control unit circuit explain the oxygen and velocity sensors failure in the same side of the car?

🤔

Regards
The info I posted regarding 4460 was from the 986 factory service manual. The manual does not show or imply and connection between the faults.

My 2004 Boxster had a similar issue to what you have been reporting with 4460 and 4216 (mine didn't have the bad O2 sensor) with an intermittent ABS and PSM fault. I tried a number of things to fix it over the course of a few months. In my case, when I replaced the switch on the brake pedal the problem never came back - 4460 or 4216.
Did the brake switch effect the speed sensor? I don't know. Neither fault has come back since it was replaced.

I found a diagnostic manual for the 996TT online. The info is very similar to what is in my 986 manual, but not quite as up to date. You may want to download it and follow-up on your fault codes. There is detailed troubleshooting:
http://rennkit.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/996TT-DIAGNOSTIC-MANUAL-2.pdf

Tags
4216 , 4469 , abs , psm , speed sensor