Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
My advice is do not follow Pelican's Tech article. Use LNE's method. There are several threads where Pelican's method has caused a lot of grief.
Good to know. I've been studying sources from Pelican, YouTube and this forum, but will do a review of their method. I'm surprised there would be issues with the Tech Forum approach. I've seen folks talk about parts being in the wrong bags for Single/Dual row installs, but there is good enough photographic example in the 100+ pics to sort that out. I suspect the complexity of instructions and the amount of disparate sources of truth have been a detractor for some taking on this challenge. It certainly is a daunting amount of information. The process may take 12 hours end to end, but the research is taking just as long...

agfours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Single row.
Interesting. Two of the bearings I had a chance to open up were both dual rows, and were filled up with engine oil, at lower mileage than yours. Perhaps the vacuum/pressure that builds up inside the IMS at every warm up cycle can better escape at the single row bearing? Just wondering..
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfours View Post
Good to know. I've been studying sources from Pelican, YouTube and this forum, but will do a review of their method. I'm surprised there would be issues with the Tech Forum approach. I've seen folks talk about parts being in the wrong bags for Single/Dual row installs, but there is good enough photographic example in the 100+ pics to sort that out. I suspect the complexity of instructions and the amount of disparate sources of truth have been a detractor for some taking on this challenge. It certainly is a daunting amount of information. The process may take 12 hours end to end, but the research is taking just as long...
Pelican's IMS retrofit methodology has led to more heartaches than I can count. LN's procedure, on the other hand works perfectly if it is followed to the letter.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agfours View Post
... Going to do an inspection and if a double row is in there I may choose to leave it alone if the seal looks good and the bearing freewheels nicely. ...
If you decide to leave it, an alternative is to remove the seals so the bearing will be oil lubricated. This is what I did on my blue Boxster while doing a clutch job. My reasoning is in post #9 of this thread.
My Blue Boxster refurb.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:01 AM   #25

My 2000 Boxster is back from getting the IMS Retrofit done. It had a dual row IMS bearing and aside from a bit of grease coming from one seal, the old bearing still feels "as new".

When I got the car it only had 37,500 miles on it (now at 40,000 after my 3 months of ownership). The prior owner had only done 2,000 miles in the last 4 years.

pritchet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #26

Quote:
How much is a peace of mind worth? I spend $73 a year on synthetic oil changes (Mobile-1) after driving about 2K miles during the summer before winterizing. Going on 5 years of ownership, but have no plans to change/upgrade IMS.
I'm with Ciao........(and my Porsche shop experts)
I summer drive my 98' and yearly have Mobil One oil changes done. My car is 20+ years old and has 89,000 summer only miles on it and runs (and looks) perfect. But, IF I become one of the 1% that have a failure I'll say "it was tons of fun while it lasted" and then go shopping!

Last edited by Rob175; 11-20-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
My 2000 Boxster is back from getting the IMS Retrofit done. It had a dual row IMS bearing and aside from a bit of grease coming from one seal, the old bearing still feels "as new".

When I got the car it only had 37,500 miles on it (now at 40,000 after my 3 months of ownership). The prior owner had only done 2,000 miles in the last 4 years.

Was the IMS filled with oil? Just curious.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote