Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Coachella Valley Mechanic

Good morning.

The one shop in the Valley receiving the best YELP reviews told me he found it hard to source parts for the early ZF transmissions. He declind the project.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic in the Coachella Valley? I need to get my transmission repaired... the inner shaft seal replaced.

Thank you.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:14 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
I believe that Mirage International just moved to the Joshua Tree area.
https://www.mirageintl.com/

Jae Lee has been one of the top Porsche mechanics in San Diego for years

Give him a call
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I believe that Mirage International just moved to the Joshua Tree area.
https://www.mirageintl.com/

Jae Lee has been one of the top Porsche mechanics in San Diego for years

Give him a call
Thank you! I'll give him a call this morning. JT line is 10 miles from me. That would be ideal. Thank you, again!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Thank you! I'll give him a call this morning. JT line is 10 miles from me. That would be ideal. Thank you, again!
Jae told me n longer does he do repairs instead building from home engines.

My search continues.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Stopped in a local shop this morning. They repair foreign and domestic autos. Their signage has Mercedes, BMW, etc. They've been there a while. nd, while I haven't read stellar reviews on them, I decided to see if they might be of help.

The fellow I spoke to said they first would diagnose the "leak" by introducing a dye to the transmission... insert a camera into the tranny/bell housing (?), start the car... and identify the leak. $105 for the diagnosis.

Does that sound right?

The shop I wanted to take it to, but declined because, "... what if we pull the trans and find that it's the pump to housing o-ring and gasket or even the pump guide bushing warn out. I've been through this before. Nobody's supplying service parts for them."

Does anyone have any thoughts about the dye/camera diagnosis?

Thank you.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Have you tried asking Woody for a used tranny? Or parts from one?
Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #7

Agree with above! Source a used unit, pay for r/r and get back on the road! Best of luck!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

What if it's just the seal? I'd rather keep my transmission.

If a tech identifies it's another problem... a pump seal or something for which parts are hard to or impossible to source... then a might consider a used tip from Woody.

Any thoughts on the dye/camera approach... see if it's going to be an impossible to source part before the transmission is removed? $105 plus a tow. Watcha think?

Thank you!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
What if it's just the seal? I'd rather keep my transmission.

If a tech identifies it's another problem... a pump seal or something for which parts are hard to or impossible to source... then a might consider a used tip from Woody.

Any thoughts on the dye/camera approach... see if it's going to be an impossible to source part before the transmission is removed? $105 plus a tow. Watcha think?

Thank you!

My guess is that if it's coming out between the bell housing and the engine block, without removing the tranny, I don't know how they could tell tell if it's the seal, the pump or the TC even with the dye test. So, if you have to take the tranny out anyway I can't see how the dye test would be of much help, because once the tranny is out you should be able to see where the leak is coming from anyway.

Having said that, I've only done dye tests on A/C units, not trannies so take my statement with a grain of salt.

Did you ask them specifically if they could tell whether the leak is coming from the front seal vs. the pump with the tranny still bolted to the engine? If they say yes, I'd ask them how.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:47 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
My guess is that if it's coming out between the bell housing and the engine block, without removing the tranny, I don't know how they could tell tell if it's the seal, the pump or the TC even with the dye test. So, if you have to take the tranny out anyway I can't see how the dye test would be of much help, because once the tranny is out you should be able to see where the leak is coming from anyway.

Having said that, I've only done dye tests on A/C units, not trannies so take my statement with a grain of salt.

Did you ask them specifically if they could tell whether the leak is coming from the front seal vs. the pump with the tranny still bolted to the engine? If they say yes, I'd ask them how.
The guy said they would introduce the dye... and insert a camera into the transmission. I asked if it was going to be one of the 'holes' under the transmission (one through which I can see the dry flywheel teeth). Yes. One of those holes. Start the engine... camera through hole reveals from where the dye is coming. Then I'll know which way to proceed: repair or replace.

Another question: I have the exhaust removed right up to the exhaust manifold. The manifolds remain attached to the engine... but nothing fron there on back. Should the car NOT be swtarted without the pipes on? If the car was started... might that cause some problems with valves... or anything else? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2020, 05:09 AM   #11

Quote:
The guy said they would introduce the dye... and insert a camera into the transmission. I asked if it was going to be one of the 'holes' under the transmission (one through which I can see the dry flywheel teeth). Yes. One of those holes. Start the engine... camera through hole reveals from where the dye is coming. Then I'll know which way to proceed: repair or replace.

Another question: I have the exhaust removed right up to the exhaust manifold. The manifolds remain attached to the engine... but nothing fron there on back. Should the car NOT be swtarted without the pipes on? If the car was started... might that cause some problems with valves... or anything else? Thanks!
The shop is giving you a good first step of a proper diagnosis for a reasonable price.
You have to start somewhere and the dye in an attempt to locate the leak is spot on in my opinion for a first step.
Starting the car with the exhaust pipes removed will not hurt anything except your ears
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:53 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The shop is giving you a good first step of a proper diagnosis for a reasonable price.
You have to start somewhere and the dye in an attempt to locate the leak is spot on in my opinion for a first step.
Starting the car with the exhaust pipes removed will not hurt anything except your ears
Thank you, Blue. A neighbor suggested that with the pipes off any cold air getting sucked into the exhaust manifold might damage the valves.

OK. Next step is getting the car to the shop.

Thank you!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Good morning.

The one shop in the Valley receiving the best YELP reviews told me he found it hard to source parts for the early ZF transmissions. He declind the project.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic in the Coachella Valley? I need to get my transmission repaired... the inner shaft seal replaced.

Thank you.
Starter, IMHO you are lucky because you are located fairly close to several qualified Porsche mechanics that are within an hour of towing time.

I would shop around and take the car to a specialized shop, I believe that this would save money and you will have a repair done properly the first time.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Starter, IMHO you are lucky because you are located fairly close to several qualified Porsche mechanics that are within an hour of towing time.

I would shop around and take the car to a specialized shop, I believe that this would save money and you will have a repair done properly the first time.

Good luck!
I found a shop in Colton... 65 miles away... $350 tow. That'd be on top of the $300 I paid to have it towed to my driveway.

Who wants to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning helping me remove this transmission? I simply don't have the confidence, and would hate to fack something up. Breakfast on me and all the mimosas you can handle.

Anyone?
Old 10-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
I found a shop in Colton... 65 miles away... $350 tow. That'd be on top of the $300 I paid to have it towed to my driveway.

Who wants to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning helping me remove this transmission? I simply don't have the confidence, and would hate to fack something up. Breakfast on me and all the mimosas you can handle.

Anyone?
get AAA premier you get 1 200 mile, 2 100 mile and a bunch of 6 mile tows

or rent a trailer and tow it yourself. Uhaul is around $70 for a day
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 10-29-2020 at 05:44 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:

Anyone?

I just took out my Tip earlier this year and have recently installed it. So I’m familiar with the process and have the necessary special Porsche tools that the Bentley manual calls for. Let me know if you need any pointers.

Last edited by traveno; 10-29-2020 at 06:15 PM.
traveno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Thank you, Blue. A neighbor suggested that with the pipes off any cold air getting sucked into the exhaust manifold might damage the valves.

OK. Next step is getting the car to the shop.

Thank you!
I first heard the cold air getting sucked into the exhaust and damaging the valves "wives tale" back in the sixties.
But it is just that an old wives tale
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
I just took out my Tip earlier this year and have recently installed it. So I’m familiar with the process and have the necessary special Porsche tools that the Bentley manual calls for. Let me know if you need any pointers.
Will PM you. Thank you.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
or rent a trailer and tow it yourself. Uhaul is around $70 for a day
Yes, something like this is what I had in mind, sorry that was not clear enough.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote