Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Vza

Wheel Bearing Replacement Front

Hi All, Going to replace my front wheel bearings 99 Boxster Base. I planned on removing the wheel carrier and bringing off to a machine shop to get the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in...only 40.00 a side. Is there a chance I will trash the balljoints during removal? Should I replace the control arms while I'm in there? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks V

Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

Removing the carrier is not tough. If careful, you won't damage any ball joints. That being said, and not knowing your budget, think about how old these items are and plan accordingly.

I got over 100K on my suspension items on my 2000S. I don't track the car.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
Vza

I have over 135,ooo miles. Not sure how to check if they're going or gone(control arms). I do track the car....that's how I found a bad bearing. v
Old 10-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #4

The fronts are fairly easy to get off without destroying the ball joint. Hopefully you have a ball joint extractor and not just a ball joint fork. The rears - another story... I used this tool, and had no problem to get the front arms off without damage...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7TJ61S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 135,000 miles, and 22 years I would definitely replace the control arms if they are still the originals - the rubber is going to be hard / shot - or you could also remove the arms and replace the bushings in the arms with something stiffer given you track. If you choose to replace your control arms, I believe Meile is the OEM manufacturer... You can also tug on your tie rods once they are disconnected to see if they or your rack are wearing - there should be no wiggle. Note that if you replace your control arms you should also get an alignment... Also in the area you are disassembling are your shocks / springs - but you must have replaced those already if you are tracking the car. Only other advice - there is a clip and the bottom of the shock that holds the brake wear sensor. Don't be like me and forget to remove it before you pull the shock out of the hub.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Vza

OK...I trashed both Tie rod end boot and wishbone boot as well so I'm going to just replace them. Seemed the ball joints were very easy to move around so I think they were shot anyway(someone agree with me!!!) Is it necessary to replace the hub bolt? Should I consider replacing anything else while I'm in there? I'm just going to replace the wishbones and tie rod ends. I dropped the carriers off at a machine shop to get the old bearings pressed out and new ones pressed in along with the hubs. I've read that the printed side of bearings go to the inside and also the opposite....does it matter and will this shop guy know which way if it does matter as I do track the car.****Thanks V
Old 10-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

For fronts it doesnt matter. I would take the bearing apart and grease with redline cv2 though. The stock grease is light and they dont put much in there. Easy to do, about 15 min per bearing
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
Vza

Oh well ...there in. I noticed there was a creaking crunch sound when moving the wishbones so they had to be replaced. Decided to do the struts as well considering all the ball joints need to be pulled anyway. Do coils ever need replacing? V