Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #1

Turn Signal Controls

First off, want to say hi to fellow Boxster owners as this is my first post here.

I've got an 02' Seal Grey Metallic Boxster and I love it! My turn signal started giving me problems. It would not stay locked in on right turns as it normally should. Talkedo one mechanic and he said the whole turn signal (plus OBC) controls have to be replaced.

Anyone else experienced this? Also does anyone know what the part number would be for this and where I can buy parts online?

Thanks.

victoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoreric
First off, want to say hi to fellow Boxster owners as this is my first post here.

I've got an 02' Seal Grey Metallic Boxster and I love it! My turn signal started giving me problems. It would not stay locked in on right turns as it normally should. Talkedo one mechanic and he said the whole turn signal (plus OBC) controls have to be replaced.

Anyone else experienced this? Also does anyone know what the part number would be for this and where I can buy parts online?

Thanks.
Hi,

The Turn Indicator, Wiper/Washer and Cruise Control are a single unit. The OBC stalk is separate (it screws into the rest of the Combo Switch), but not sold separately.

The PN # is 996.613.219.00 and lists for $185-$225USD. An alternative would be to get one from any of the dismantlers around such as LA Porsche Dismantlers or Oklahoma Foreign. Figure about $150 for these.

The switch is really just Plug&Play. If you have any mechanical accumen, there's no need to pay a Dealer or Mechanic to install. It can be done in about 30 min., but does involve removing the Airbag and Steering Wheel. This sounds much more complex than it really is. I've done this 4 times on Boxsters, never had a problem. I can send you step-by-step instructions if you want. PM me and give me your email addy. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #3

I assume you have cruise control.

See if you can find someone who has done the OBC retrofit and get their old 3 stalk switch assembly. Remove your OBC stalk and put it on the 3 stalk unit.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #4

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the great info. I've asked my mechanic about this and apparently fixing this requires the car to be plugged into a computer since it's resetting the car's computer (I think?) Is this true or can it be done on my own?

If so, I wouldn't mind if you sent me the instructions. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The Turn Indicator, Wiper/Washer and Cruise Control are a single unit. The OBC stalk is separate (it screws into the rest of the Combo Switch), but not sold separately.

The PN # is 996.613.219.00 and lists for $185-$225USD. An alternative would be to get one from any of the dismantlers around such as LA Porsche Dismantlers or Oklahoma Foreign. Figure about $150 for these.

The switch is really just Plug&Play. If you have any mechanical accumen, there's no need to pay a Dealer or Mechanic to install. It can be done in about 30 min., but does involve removing the Airbag and Steering Wheel. This sounds much more complex than it really is. I've done this 4 times on Boxsters, never had a problem. I can send you step-by-step instructions if you want. PM me and give me your email addy. Hope this helps...

Old 10-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #5

Anyone know of any good websites I can order these parts online?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoreric
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the great info. I've asked my mechanic about this and apparently fixing this requires the car to be plugged into a computer since it's resetting the car's computer (I think?) Is this true or can it be done on my own?

If so, I wouldn't mind if you sent me the instructions. Thanks again.
Hi,

Not true. If the OBC has already been activated, unplugging the switch won't change anything - no need to reprogram it. Easy DIY project, maybe a 2.5. PM me an email addy and I'll forward the R&R procedures.

If you want new try Sunset Porsche (dealer cost) -

http://www.****************************************************.com/porscheatcost.php

If you want a used part, try L.A. Porsche Dismantlers -

http://www.911pcar.com/ This is where I bought mine, but I only used the OBC Stalk, I resold the rest on eBay, it cost me $100 and the part was As New. There may be a cross-border advantage for you buying used parts over new so far as any Duty or Tax is concerned. Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-25-2006 at 08:51 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #7

I did the OBC/Cruise mod and as such have a two stalk unit left over, I'm not sure if you can attach your cruise/obc stalks to this and re-use it, of so shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

The full four stalk unit was about $160 from Sunset when I got mine.

Chris.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #8

thanks for the great info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Not true. If the OBC has already been activated, unplugging the switch won't change anything - no need to reprogram it. Easy DIY project, maybe a 2.5. PM me an email addy and I'll forward the R&R procedures.

If you want new try Sunset Porsche (dealer cost) -

http://www.****************************************************.com/porscheatcost.php

If you want a used part, try L.A. Porsche Dismantlers -

http://www.911pcar.com/ This is where I bought mine, but I only used the OBC Stalk, I resold the rest on eBay, it cost me $100 and the part was As New. There may be a cross-border advantage for you buying used parts over new so far as any Duty or Tax is concerned. Hope this helps...