Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

CLU and Windows

Can anyone confirm if power window function is dependent on a functioning CLU please?

I'm troubleshooting as my drivers window rolled down 1/2 way after 3 years of ownership. The Windows have always dropped 1/2" when touching door handles (inside and out), but the console switches have never worked. I know my CLU is messed up, so I assumed that window function was related to CLU. But when it rolled down unexpectedly (and for no reason) I got faint hope that maybe it's something else?

Anyways. Before I tear everything apart and track it down, someone must know the answer to my question above.

Thanks in advance folks.

Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

Windows are indeed tied to the CLU (Immobilizer). I had the same problem with mine and replacing the Immobilizer solved it. And, IRRC, there were one or two times when at least one of the windows dropped 1/2 way for some inexplicable reason.

Sorry if it's not what you were hoping to hear.

On a lighter note, there is a member of this forum who can repair these at a fraction of the cost of ECU Doctors.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks piper for confirming. It is what I suspected. CLU is on my list. I suppose this is my motivation to address it.........

I know the guy you refer to. Qumulus (or something like that). Have reached out to him to tell him I was gonna send him my CLU, but got distracted by my suspension rebuild and just having fun driving it (and deferring spend of course). I'm pretty sure he has given up on me!

Last edited by Zzorro; 09-27-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Is there any way to get the window to roll up so that I can drive it in the rain for a few more wet Pacific northwest coast days?

Thinking with 12v applied to the right pins I can get rolled back up.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Is there any way to get the window to roll up so that I can drive it in the rain for a few more wet Pacific northwest coast days?

Thinking with 12v applied to the right pins I can get rolled back up.
Try opening and closing the roof. Hopefully the immobilizer will still roll up the windows when you latch the roof.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #6

Opening and closing the roof didn't work. But I opened and closed to door about 30 times and that did the trick..........

Even with the window 1/2 way down the "drop" function would work. So every time I opened and closed the door the window would raise up a few mm. So I did that till it was closed. At least now I can keep the window up. It's going to be monsoon season soon here in the Pacific Northwest so that's important..........

But I'm going to pull the car off the road soon. I'll get the clu fixed then.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Opening and closing the roof didn't work. But I opened and closed to door about 30 times and that did the trick..........

Even with the window 1/2 way down the "drop" function would work. So every time I opened and closed the door the window would raise up a few mm. So I did that till it was closed. At least now I can keep the window up. It's going to be monsoon season soon here in the Pacific Northwest so that's important..........

But I'm going to pull the car off the road soon. I'll get the clu fixed then.
I suppose it would be very welcome rain.