Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #1

Garage
Transmission Sump *Help*

I bought a 2001 S two month ago and started on my 2nd project after converting to a spin on oil filter. I wanted to check and probably replace the transmission oil.
Armed with the 101 Project book I followed the instructions and started to remove the rear transmission pan and the aluminum support bars.
All went well until I got to the nut on the aluminum support, located towards the front of the car. I thought I was loosening the nut but sheared the bolt off instead. Is this nut to come off in order to detach the aluminum bar? I want to ask before I proceed on the other side with the same bolt. This seems to be a rather cumbersome process just to check/replace transmission fluid. Am I missing something?

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I bought a 2001 S two month ago and started on my 2nd project after converting to a spin on oil filter. I wanted to check and probably replace the transmission oil.
Armed with the 101 Project book I followed the instructions and started to remove the rear transmission pan and the aluminum support bars.
All went well until I got to the nut on the aluminum support, located towards the front of the car. I thought I was loosening the nut but sheared the bolt off instead. Is this nut to come off in order to detach the aluminum bar? I want to ask before I proceed on the other side with the same bolt. This seems to be a rather cumbersome process just to check/replace transmission fluid. Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. You've got a temperature gun, yes?

When I replaced my transmission fluid and filter I removed all the bolts from those bars the rear forward... just loosening the last one on each bar... then swining it out of the way.

That bolt you may be able to drive up and out... and replace it with the stock bolt. You'll be OK. Before I remove near any bolt that's been torqued and, likely, not loosened in a while... I spray some penetrant on it.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
You're not missing anything. You've got a temperature gun, yes?

When I replaced my transmission fluid and filter I removed all the bolts from those bars the rear forward... just loosening the last one on each bar... then swining it out of the way.

That bolt you may be able to drive up and out... and replace it with the stock bolt. You'll be OK. Before I remove near any bolt that's been torqued and, likely, not loosened in a while... I spray some penetrant on it.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll try to swing the bar on the other side instead of removing it entirely (good advise). I thought I'll clean the bolts and all nuts and put some anti seize on it, so I have an easier time in the future.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, I'll try to swing the bar on the other side instead of removing it entirely (good advise). I thought I'll clean the bolts and all nuts and put some anti seize on it, so I have an easier time in the future.
Success! Just removed the other side's bolts and was able to easily swing it out of the way. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

Garage
I am stuck once again, is the oil filler plug on the driver or passenger side of the transmission? The pelican 101 project book appears to show it on the passenger side, but the 10 mm hex socket does not seem to fit. This is for a 2001 S with manual 6 speed.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #6

Garage
The attached thread has the info you need. Your fill plug on 6 speed will be #11 in post #18, circled in blue post #9.

Transmission gear oil change made easy.

Last edited by 911monty; 09-25-2020 at 02:39 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
The attached thread has the info you need. Your fill plug on 6 speed will be #11 in post #18, circled in blue post #9.

Lots of help on this forum! That is a great thread.

My 2001 Base Tip is going to hit 40k miles soon. I am mulling over when I should do this trans service. Maybe 50k miles? So far everything seems smooth.

For grins, I called Arlington, VA Porsche and asked how much they would charge for this service. First he asked if this was a PDK. I said, no, its uh Tiptronic from days of yore.

$1400 is what he quoted me to change transmission fluid. I think that is the "We don't want to work on your old azz Boxster and this guy won't pay anyways" price. Sheesh!

If I get lazy, I might reach out to our resident mechanic JFP in PA and see what his rates would be. That would be a monster road trip for me, but maybe worth it to have him tackle about 3 or 4 things (Upgrade to an S oil cooler, 160f Thermostat, Water Pump, AOS, and trans fluid).
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

Garage
6 Speed Manual Transmission oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post

Thank you so much. This answered all my questions. Great to see pictures match my car. Transmission fluid is out, now I have to decide whether I should use Swepco 201 or go with the Sunset formula.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Thank you so much. This answered all my questions. Great to see pictures match my car. Transmission fluid is out, now I have to decide whether I should use Swepco 201 or go with the Sunset formula.
Get the real stuff from Porsche. It is expensive but it will be worth it in the long run.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
Lots of help on this forum! That is a great thread.

My 2001 Base Tip is going to hit 40k miles soon. I am mulling over when I should do this trans service. Maybe 50k miles? So far everything seems smooth.

$1400 is what he quoted me to change transmission fluid. I think that is the "We don't want to work on your old azz Boxster and this guy won't pay anyways" price. Sheesh!

After 20 years I would for sure replace both your transmission fluid and filter and also your differential oil.

It's really not that hard to do yourself. The fluids and filter and new gasket and fill plug seal cost less than $200 - and it's about a 90 minute job if you've done it before and perhaps 2 to 3 hours if you have not. Using Pentosin ATF-1 fluid will save you a ton of money vs solid gold Porsche fluid and it's good stuff.

You may need a few special tools if you haven't done this before, but you will save yourself more than $1000... Infrared Thermometer, giant allen wrench socket for the transmission fill plug, fluid pump, low range torque wrench. Perhaps $100 in all in tools from Amazon.

New differential oil is about $20 and takes 15 minutes to suck out the old / flush / fill. You need a fluid sucker and a fluid pump. I used liqui moly 75W90 gear oil; you need to make sure to NOT get gear oil for limited slip transmissions.

The 100 Boxster projects section of Pelican's website, and the printed book, both have good instructions...

ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote