Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
window symptoms

OK...maybe two problems, but here are the symptoms:

When I pull the center convertible latch, my windows don't drop, if I lower windows, when I close center top latch, windows close

Passenger side, lifting the handle on the outside or pulling the handle on the inside the window doesn't drop 1/4 inch, no noise, no slack to push the window down

this leads me to believe the center latch microswitch is working, but why no window drop on open?

Lack of noise and slack leads me to believe this isnt the window regulator, or handle microswitch as both would need to be bad?

drivers side window works fine with handle to drop windows 1/4
love to hear thoughts and experience

@particlewave? Can you save me and anyone else with this?

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #2

Garage
My problem was that the window drop was intermittent. The solution was to resolder the connections on the door latch PCB.
Have a look at post #13 or this thread.
Door window not dropping properly – a troubleshooting check list.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Why doesn’t the center top latch drop the windows on either side when I pull, but if I have windows open, it closes them when I close the center top latch.
Micro switch must work there.

Passenger door might be the classic door latch issue, because it isn’t regulator, or related to my other issue.

Thing is, it worked a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Why doesn’t the center top latch drop the windows on either side when I pull, but if I have windows open, it closes them when I close the center top latch.
Micro switch must work there...
The windows are supposed to close when you close the latch for the top? Mine has never done that, I always have to raise the windows with the switches.
For your other problems... I have done a lot of reading to try and understand my window drop problem and still don't really get how all the pieces work together, but I did get the impression that electronic problems in the latch can cause weird things to happen. The resoldering of contacts in the latch is a cheap (free) repair if you have the door apart - who knows it may help.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
The windows are supposed to close when you close the latch for the top? Mine has never done that, I always have to raise the windows with the switches.
Likewise
Old 09-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Yep. Mine could be part-way down or all the way down. Once I latch the top, they automatically go up.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Yep. Mine could be part-way down or all the way down. Once I latch the top, they automatically go up.
yes, this is normal operation and that is working again...I think it was the position of the top (i converted to manual after one of the cables broke) and when I touched the switch, they went up, and starting action normal.
I am converting back to power and pretty sure I have that issue figured out. The window drop is likely the door latch issue common to others since the internal and external handle doesn't do anything and the regulator is tight.
once fixed, Ill share what I found.

:+)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #8

I had a similar problem when the cable for my top was broken. There is a micro-switch in the convertible top transmission. If your cable broke without it being able to trip the micro-switch the windows won't drop. Once I got the cable installed and synchronized the windows worked normally.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookoo3 View Post
I had a similar problem when the cable for my top was broken. There is a micro-switch in the convertible top transmission. If your cable broke without it being able to trip the micro-switch the windows won't drop. Once I got the cable installed and synchronized the windows worked normally.

Fascinating, if this is related to the top transmission, I’m set.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #10
Will there be cake?

Garage
Confirmed the door latch micro switch, it was “disintegrated” no question it failed, visible and metered it. Wide open.
Sigh, looks like a new latch mechanism instead for replacing a 1 dollar micro switch, unless someone has a better idea?

Old 09-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #11

Garage
Look through this thread I did... in the attached troubleshooting document there is information on alternative latches for VWs... if you don't have the M535 alarm option.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #12
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Look through this thread I did... in the attached troubleshooting document there is information on alternative latches for VWs... if you don't have the M535 alarm option.
yep, read through that several days ago when I discovered the issue. Good stuff and thanks from all of us for the efforts. Ill share my experience and thoughts to further the cause.
the microswitch is definitely bad on the door latch, when I inspected it, it fell apart. What was interesting is when I touched the 9 pin connector as I was removing latch, it would actuate windows, back and forth. It must be loose or something, but it looks fine. I think my issue is the connector, but the microswitch was on the way out

at this point, Im replacing the latch, hopeful that I can clean and revive the 9 pin connector. Dont want to replace that as well because I will be waiting for part. Also considering the the PCB board connections could be the "connector issue"

the M535 option isnt something I looked into, If I source another porsche door latch, are they all the same, or is there a non-M535 door latch out there? I could still swap parts with my orignal, but if this is the case, how do I tell the difference.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookoo3 View Post
Yes, as I discovered, the left transmission has a microswitch inside of it. If you are manual top, you have to keep the boomerang (lever from the transmission that the push arms attach to) in position to make the switch and get normal window operation, as well as turn off dash light telling you the top is ajar.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
... What was interesting is when I touched the 9 pin connector as I was removing latch, it would actuate windows, back and forth. It must be loose or something, but it looks fine. I think my issue is the connector, but the microswitch was on the way out

at this point, Im replacing the latch, hopeful that I can clean and revive the 9 pin connector. Dont want to replace that as well because I will be waiting for part. Also considering the the PCB board connections could be the "connector issue"

the M535 option isnt something I looked into, If I source another porsche door latch, are they all the same, or is there a non-M535 door latch out there? I could still swap parts with my orignal, but if this is the case, how do I tell the difference.
I had exactly the same symptom, touching or wiggling the connector made the window go up, down, up. Changed the connector... same thing. Took the latch electronics apart and resoldered the 9 pin (or rather the sockets for the pins) contacts on the PCB and solved the problem. I got the impression that only Porsche supplies the latch for the M525 option (which my car has) and that 9 pin Audi or VW latches work otherwise. But there seem to be many part numbers and I never did really get it clear in my head. If it is the mechanical part that is broken it is easy to switch the plastic case the holds the electronics to another latch's mechanics.