Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
2003 Boxster

Adding speakers to CDR23 MOST

Ive seen a few old posts about this but trying to get the answer that suits my scenario.

CDR23 MOST (amp in front NON Bose 4x40). I have the door subs.

If i add rear speakers to the mix, are the traditional head unit connections redundant because of the front amp?

I tried connecting to the rear speaker points in the head unit but nothing.

I have read that i need to go direct into the amp.... but as im already 4 speakers up, i need to change amp to the 6 x40....... if thats the case, is it an easy swap over ? Ie it uses the existing plug and optic inputs? I just need to add the new speaker wires?

Thanks for any assistance.

Leo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:39 AM   #2
2004 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Ive seen a few old posts about this but trying to get the answer that suits my scenario.

CDR23 MOST (amp in front NON Bose 4x40). I have the door subs.

If i add rear speakers to the mix, are the traditional head unit connections redundant because of the front amp?

I tried connecting to the rear speaker points in the head unit but nothing.

I have read that i need to go direct into the amp.... but as im already 4 speakers up, i need to change amp to the 6 x40....... if thats the case, is it an easy swap over ? Ie it uses the existing plug and optic inputs? I just need to add the new speaker wires?

Thanks for any assistance.
As far as I know, the rear speakers connect to the B plug (brown) behind the radio, pins 1-2 and 7-8. I pulled one at a scrapyard from an Audi A4...same plug, also found on VW cars. See more info here : Need a little help making sense of Hi-Fi factory stereo wiring (2004 non-Bose)
Old 09-09-2020, 03:19 AM   #3
2003 Boxster

Yeah... the 4x40 amp in the front takes the 2 dash and 2 door.
I’m adding 2 rears. But ive added them to the back of the CDR directly. However i feel these dont work due to having the front amp.

So if i change the front amp to the 6x40w... is it the same wiring loom/plug that will now plug into the 6x40 amp?? And i just need to wire the New rears Into the back of the plug .
Old 09-09-2020, 04:46 AM   #4

Not sure if the CDR220 is the same, but my car came with the amp and dash/door speakers. The original owner had the rear speakers installed and the wires when straight to the CDR.

Does the radio have a Fader? Could it be set to full forward so you are not hearing the rears?

My current setup, the Alpine uses the same RCA output to the amp. The amp still powers the front/door speakers. The rear speakers are direct to the Alpine. Works like the CDR220 did.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
2003 Boxster

The door subs are wired to the amp ‘rear’ outputs as i have the head unit faded slightly to the rear (doors) to get some more bass.

The more i hear from other avenues, is that the MOST amp cancels out the head unit inputs.

@europadrive. Thanks for that link. That is a head unit ive been looking at (but without an amp). Think its quite traditional looking and would suit the dash.
I would just need to re-route the speaker wires to the head unit and omit the front amp completely. Maybe pair the door subs in with the rears.

Unless of course... if the 6x40w amp change would work. (If anyone knows!)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Yeah... the 4x40 amp in the front takes the 2 dash and 2 door.
I’m adding 2 rears. But ive added them to the back of the CDR directly. However i feel these dont work due to having the front amp.

So if i change the front amp to the 6x40w... is it the same wiring loom/plug that will now plug into the 6x40 amp?? And i just need to wire the New rears Into the back of the plug .
I swapped out my 4x40 for a 6 channel from a 996 cabrio I bought on
ebay you have to trim off a tab on the connector and it connects. I think it was on rennlist there was a post said which amp and picture of the tab to cut.

I never installed rear speakers went another direction. 6.5 mid subs doors, 3” mids dash, and 1.5” tweeters, 8” sub mounted in a cabriolet bose sub housing.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
2003 Boxster

Thanks for the reply. Ive noticed that the 6x40w doesn’t seem to have the Fibre optic connection, which is what i need. So i think this option for me is now dead.

It could be a visit to a car audio installer for a full refurb.
Or
I could totally fudge what i have here, by splicing into my front dash speakers with the rears. (The cheap and nasty option).
Old 09-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

I have a 2003 Boxster with the CDR 23 radio and it is a MOST car. It came with only the speakers in the dashboard. I bought the Porsche rear speaker kit a long time ago and installed it following this Pelican Parts Technical Article. The kit came with 2 different plugs- 1 for cars that had an amp and door speakers and 1 for cars that didn't have them. I believe the fiber optic MOST bus is just between the radio and the amp, my speakers all just have regular wire because I have no amp. I don't know if the rear speaker kit is available any longer but maybe the information in the article can help you figure out what you can do.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Ive noticed that the 6x40w doesn’t seem to have the Fibre optic connection, which is what i need. So i think this option for me is now dead.

It could be a visit to a car audio installer for a full refurb.
Or
I could totally fudge what i have here, by splicing into my front dash speakers with the rears. (The cheap and nasty option).
I realized you were talking most after I posted and then I couldn't find the post to update. My car has the m490 option i think it was. Sorry about the confusion.