Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
01 Boxster S

Garage
New seat covers from LSeat.com. Love them

519AutoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done. Did you do the work? How long did it take?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
01 Boxster S

Garage
No, I thought about it but I didnt want that loose look so I let a trim shop do it. Here is the video (not trying to pump my channel but some may find it interesting)

https://youtu.be/ETgclSHpuTM

Last edited by 519AutoTech; 09-02-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #4

Garage
The covers are nice. Is the Porche emblem a patch or embossed?
Old 08-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
01 Boxster S

Garage
Thanks. I had a trim shop install them and the logo is embroidered. If you visit my channel @519AutoTech on youtube, I have a few videos on the seat covers. I guess I'm not allowed to post the links?

Last edited by 519AutoTech; 08-27-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519AutoTech View Post
... If you visit my channel @519AutoTech on youtube, I have a few videos on the seat covers. I guess I'm not allowed to post the links?
Testing video embed...

Link to other: https://youtu.be/ETgclSHpuTM

Old 08-28-2020, 03:51 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:

The seat covers look very nice, I like the textured leather, I have the same on the arm rest/storage covers on the doors of my car. I don`t know about the yellow embroiled logo, it looks like to much yellow to me, but it might look good in person, nice job
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #8
01 Boxster S

Garage
Thank you. It looks tamer in person
Old 08-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #9

I enjoyed your video.

I am glad you are offering your old seat covers for sale. There is probably someone who will consider them an upgrade. In case anyone is wondering, you can use a passenger seat cover on the driver’s seat. (You will probably want to use a professional to do the work unless you are handy with hog rings and experienced with upholstery.) You may find this thread helpful if you are interested: Seat Heater Install/Seat Leather Swap. The nearly perfect passenger cover from 519AutoTech would be great for this upgrade.

In comparing your OEM covers to your replacements, did the installer indicate which parts of the OEM covers were vinyl and which parts were leather? The parts that you said were smooth on the OEM covers may have been vinyl.

I think the workmanship on the embroidered crests is good and I agree with you that the all black interior could use some color. I might go for something a little more subtle on my car but with speed yellow it adds to the ambience. If you can remove the stick on wood parts without damage, I think you should do it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-30-2020 at 02:02 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:32 AM   #10
01 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I enjoyed your video.

I am glad you are offering your old seat covers for sale. There is probably someone who will consider them an upgrade. In case anyone is wondering, you can use a passenger seat cover on the driver’s seat. (You will probably want to use a professional to do the work unless you are handy with hog rings and experienced with upholstery.) You may find this thread helpful if you are interested: Seat Heater Install/Seat Leather Swap. The nearly perfect passenger cover from 519AutoTech would be great for this upgrade.

In comparing your OEM covers to your replacements, did the installer indicate which parts of the OEM covers were vinyl and which parts were leather? The parts that you said were smooth on the OEM covers may have been vinyl.

I think the workmanship on the embroidered crests is good and I agree with you that the all black interior could use some color. I might go for something a little more subtle on my car but with speed yellow it adds to the ambience. If you can remove the stick on wood parts without damage, I think you should do it.
Thanks Kevin. I'm not sure as to if any of the seat cover parts are vinyl. He didn't mention that sorry.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:19 AM   #11
01 Boxster S

Garage
Thanks Kevin. He didn't mention if there was any vinyl on the originals and I dont know materials well enough to know the difference. Sorry
Old 08-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #12

I've always thought that the part in the center was leather, but the sides and back were vinyl unless you had a car with "full leather" interior. If that is the case, your LSeat covers are actually an upgrade because the entire front of the seat appears to be leather.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #13

I was wondering about the vinyl portions also. I have a base that doesn't have full vinyl so I assumed the middles were the only leather portion. I have been looking at lseat.com for awhile, I think this video will push me to purchase.

Thank you for posting the video
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:07 AM   #14
01 Boxster S

Garage
You're welcome. My old seat covers were all leather as I have the full leather package. On the door cover flaps as well (which I removed). I'm very happy with the new covers and would highly recommend them. You cant beat the price for what you get. However, I highly recommend having them installed professionally to get that tight look. And you need to be very patient with Lseat as they go at their own pace lol. Took 8 weeks to get them in Canada from start to finish

Last edited by 519AutoTech; 09-02-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
You're welcome. My old seat covers were all leather as I have the full leather package. On the door cover flaps as well (which I removed). I'm very happy with the new covers and would highly recommend them. You cant beat the price for what you get. However, I highly recommend having them installed professionally to get that tight look. And you need to be very patient with Lseat as they go at their own pace lol. Took 8 weeks to get them in Canada from start to finish

You removed the leather from the arm rests/storage covers? So you bought new covers? The covers on your pictures don`t look like they had any leather on them, they would be all damaged if you had removed the leather, ask me how I know . The previous owner probably had to pay someone to install them as it`s not an option, and to me they feel so much better with the leather, it should`ve came like that from the factory.
Does your car have the steering wheel like these ones in pictures? This is the full leather package.
I`ll take a couple of pictures of mine when |I have a change and I`ll post them.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #16

Garage
These are what mine look like with leather.

[img]

Last edited by 986 Boxster; 09-04-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #17

Looks great. Did you install yourself? Was the cushion/foam still in good shape?
safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #18
01 Boxster S

Garage
safesaxbdd thanks and I had someone install the seat covers. The foam was a litlle worn and they added padding. 986boxster. I did have leather on the side door pocket covers. I removed them and after 2 days of carefully removing the glue and having numb fingers from the rubbing with glue remover, they came out as you see them. I have videos on youtube showing the car when I first got it and you can see the pocket leather was damaged over time from the seat belt hitting and scraping the leather.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #19
01 Boxster S

Garage
986boxster here is a link to the video. It shows the leather on the pockets about 2 minutes in
https://youtu.be/wg7crgBYRrY
Old 09-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
986boxster here is a link to the video. It shows the leather on the pockets about 2 minutes in
https://youtu.be/wg7crgBYRrY
Okay I see why you removed the leather, it was damaged. Like I said, the previous owner or someone else must`ve installed it on your car as it`s not an option on the 986. I sanded mine a bit to make sure that the glue sticks to them good, that`s why I thought you bought new ones because I don`t see any scuffs marks on yours. That was one of the first mods I did, I could not stand the feel of the plastic on my arm , .
My BMWs have full leather on the door handles and armrests, I don`t know why Porsche would put a piece of abs plastic on the door when almost the rest of the interior is leather

Tags
boxster 986 seats , leather skins , lseat , seat covers