Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

licence plate lights

Have a 2000 Boxster S.
No licence plate lights.
Changed the bulbs, still no lights.
Where do I go to start tracing the wiring, trunk or underneath the car?

Last edited by pirate473; 07-22-2020 at 01:30 PM.
pirate473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
A Porsche Guy

Does your instrument cluster lights work? If no then check the fuse A5. It is 15A. You can check A8 if your car is from Canada. The license plate lights share the same fuse to the instrument lights and locating lights.

If that isn't the issue then check for continuity in your license plates wiring. You might have a short. This is assuming you have the correct bulb size and the bulb works.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

Instrument lights work fine. Installed correct bulbs. Fuse is fine.
Brought the car about 6 months ago and the maintence records show dealer ship did a repair on the trunk switch about a year ago.
Trunk warning light stays on until you put it in gear and start driving?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Have been noticing when you turn the car off, the digital odometer,speed,and clock on instrument panel stays lite on for about 1 or 2 minutes after key is out of car.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
A Porsche Guy

Are you sure the trunk light is on? If you start driving and the light turns off it is most likely the spoiler warning light. Check to see if your spoiler is all the way down and the fuse.

As for your license plate lights, I would check to see if the wires are working by using a multimeter. If there's no power it is possible that the light connector is detached. The cable is behind the bumper.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
Are you sure the trunk light is on? If you start driving and the light turns off it is most likely the spoiler warning light. Check to see if your spoiler is all the way down and the fuse.

As for your license plate lights, I would check to see if the wires are working by using a multimeter. If there's no power it is possible that the light connector is detached. The cable is behind the bumper.

Yep...might be disconnected from the dealership work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #7

Can I access the wires under the car or does the bumper have to come off. I'm 3 hours from a dealership. 6 Hours from the dealership that did the last repairs on the car. I normally maintain all my vehicles myself. Just a little scare on a porsche because replacement part cost.

Last edited by pirate473; 07-22-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
A Porsche Guy

You can try but anybody who has worked on these cars know that tiny hands help a lot and even then it might not work. It isn't hard to remove the bumper but there are steps and it shouldn't require you to replace any parts unless you're missing some tabs/screws.

You can watch TTGator video 18 mins in to see where that harness is. You can watch the full video to see how to remove it. Give him a thumbs up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ99bDEesu4&t=760s

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-22-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate473 View Post
Can I access the wires under the car or does the bumper have to come off. I'm 3 hours from a dealership. 6 Hours from the dealership that did the last repairs on the car. I normally maintain all my vehicles myself. Just a little scare on a porsche because replacement part cost.

Your pulling the bumper cover...it is very easy tho. There aren’t any clips that break, all screws with Phillips and torx. Takes about 1/2 hour off and on. A second person is helpful lining it back up. YouTube is your friend for the process and to make sure you miss anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote