Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

boxster starting problem

Hi all I have a boxster 2001 2.7
Over the last couple of days I've had a little problem starting.
It normally turned over right away and fires up but last week i struggled for a couple minutes getting it to fire up. It turned over ok and and spluttered a little. But wouldn't fire up.
After a couple of minutes it eventually started and was fine for the rest of the week.

I've left it for 2 days and gone out today and same again turns over has the odd splutter and won't fire.
After about 5 minutes ive drained the battery so now need to charge.
Question what could the likely problem be?
I have noticed the last week or so before the issues with starting it would do the odd backfire when overtaking.

Thanks in advance all..

robstuartuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Watch the tach, as you try to start it. If it doesn't move, it could be the crank position sensor?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robstuartuk View Post
Hi all I have a boxster 2001 2.7
Over the last couple of days I've had a little problem starting.
It normally turned over right away and fires up but last week i struggled for a couple minutes getting it to fire up. It turned over ok and and spluttered a little. But wouldn't fire up.
After a couple of minutes it eventually started and was fine for the rest of the week.

I've left it for 2 days and gone out today and same again turns over has the odd splutter and won't fire.
After about 5 minutes ive drained the battery so now need to charge.
Question what could the likely problem be?
I have noticed the last week or so before the issues with starting it would do the odd backfire when overtaking.

Thanks in advance all..
Has you check engine light come on or flashed. Especially during the odd backfire when overtaking.??
How many km on the car.???
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
A Porsche Guy

Start by testing your car battery and your alternator. Make sure it's outputting the correct voltage during idle and stressful loads. You said after 5 minutes you drain your battery. I assume that's because you kept cranking it. This will wear out your alternator and lower your battery life. If your battery is older than 5 years old you should monitor the outputs and anything pass 7 years, in most cases, should be replaced.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-23-2020 at 06:17 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #5

Car has done 130k
The problems I think first started after I was driving home along the dual carageway going up a long steep hill that runs for about 3 miles was only doing 70 at the time but I'd say there would be a fair bit of turbo boost output due to the steepness of the hill. Its one of these hills that has about a 20-30% gradient for a long way.
I got a check engine light that came on about halfway up while overtaking.

When I got home I connected my carrista to the ob2 port and ran a test.
There were 2 fault codes. Stupid me didn't copy them down i just cleared them.
The following day was the first time I struggled for a few mins to get her started.

Then I noticed at idle when reving gently the car would backfire. This wasn't there before the CEL light
Also when overtaking and the car dropped to 3rd she would pop and then go. Car would never backfire prior to the day the CEL
I could be being paranoid but I think certainly overtaking there might be a bit of a loss of power in there now.

After i drained the battery cranking yesterday. left the car for 2 hrs I turned the key and she fired instantly.
This morning she started fine also but again tapping the accelerator at idle warm or cold she will pop a little. I know if I start the car daily she will and start fine apart from the issue with the backfire.
If I don't start the car for a few days it struggles to start.

I've connected the carrista back to the ob2 no fault codes are currently registered.
I'm no expert but my guess is the starting problems and the backfire seem related to perhaps a fuel problem?
Old 07-23-2020, 06:07 AM   #6

Car has done 130k
The problems I think first started after I was driving home along the dual carageway going up a long steep hill that runs for about 3 miles was only doing 70 at the time but I'd say there would be a fair bit of turbo boost output due to the steepness of the hill. Its one of these hills that has about a 20-30% gradient for a long way.
I got a check engine light that came on about halfway up while overtaking.

When I got home I connected my carrista to the ob2 port and ran a test.
There were 2 fault codes. Stupid me didn't copy them down i just cleared them.
The following day was the first time I struggled for a few mins to get her started.

Then I noticed at idle when reving gently the car would backfire. This wasn't there before the CEL light
Also when overtaking and the car dropped to 3rd she would pop and then go. Car would never backfire prior to the day the CEL
I could be being paranoid but I think certainly overtaking there might be a bit of a loss of power in there now.

After i drained the battery cranking yesterday. left the car for 2 hrs I turned the key and she fired instantly.
This morning she started fine also but again tapping the accelerator at idle warm or cold she will pop a little. I know if I start the car daily she will and start fine apart from the issue with the backfire.
If I don't start the car for a few days it struggles to start.

I've connected the carrista back to the ob2 no fault codes are currently registered.
I'm no expert but my guess is the starting problems and the backfire seem related to perhaps a fuel problem?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #7

Sounds like battery, grab a volt meter and test that battery. Watch this video, it might help you figure it out.

https://youtu.be/ZSmehtE8Ctk

Brian

Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote