Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #1

Exclamation Rear rim/tire clearance question

I received my aftermarket carrera lights and PS2's tonight.

Rears are 47mm offsets, btw.

Brought them home and installed them before dinner, all excited to take the boxster out for a drive tonight, then decided it would be prudent to crawl under the car and insure nothing was rubbing inside before the maiden launch.

Wow. It sure is a tight fit in the back. I took my flashlight and my best guess is that I have about 3 or 4 mm clearance between the rubber and the strut on the driver's side, and the same on the passenger side, but in addition, there's a rod on the passenger side that's probably the e-brake actuator and it is about the same, 3/16th's inch away from the rubber.

My question is if this is enough space... Does the rubber and or wheel move or shift a lot under hard cornering enough to rub?

[clarification: Yeah, I know 97's aren't supposed to have 18's on them, and I am not planning to track the car with these rims on it, just drive around twisty roads and have some moderate driving fun, so please answer the question based on this information. Thanks!]

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-17-2006 at 06:12 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #2

i had to tie my brake cables out of the way (they rubbed on one side only). the clearance to the strut is no problem. there is nothing between the strut and the wheel that can deflect (no rubber), so the clearance between the strut and the tire is essentially constant.

i think some company makes a clip specifically for the brake cables, but i can't remember who....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #3

Randall,

This may sound like a dumb question, but did you look at the car when it was in the air or on the ground? The reason I ask is that my rears touch the control arms when it's in the air, but clear nicely when it's on the ground.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #4

Randall,

I honestly don't know. Like Grizzly said (Happy B'day BTW), make sure you're looking at it fully loaded on the ground. Have you considered things like Driver/Passenger weight, Full Fuel Tank and their possible effect?

Some suspension systems may have that much motion in them while others do not. I never checked it on the Boxster, so I can only recommend that you take it for a test drive and see. To make it easier to determine, I'd apply some chalk or bright Crayon to any parts you suspect may rub. After the test drive, check to see if any of it was rubbed off. 3-4mm is a fairly healthy clearance and I suspect you'll be OK. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #5

I checked the clearance under "normal" load... no passengers, but I do have a half tank of gas and the car is on the ground (not on a lift). I guess I can get my buddies to sit in the car while I crawl back under to give myself some peace of mind before my road trip this weekend.
:dance:

Everyone, these rims are absolutely fabulous looking. I've dreamed of having them since day one of ownership... getting rid of the Camaro ROH's that were on the car when I bought it was one of my first goals, but then every single thing that could go wrong with a Boxster went wrong and I've never had the money to spend before now...

I will take your advice, Jim and put some crayon on the strut and drive it around a little and see if it rubs. If it does, I guess I will buy some 5mm hubcentric spacers for the back and call it a day.

I'll take pix and post them when my colored wheel caps come in. I knocked out the black painted ones before mounting the wheels on the car since they have no pin holes for easy removal when they are on the car, and I won't photograph it without centers because that's just wrong
Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Randall,

This may sound like a dumb question, but did you look at the car when it was in the air or on the ground? The reason I ask is that my rears touch the control arms when it's in the air, but clear nicely when it's on the ground.
really? i checked both in the air and on the ground. what size tires are you running? wheel width? i'm assuming a 10" rear width; am i wrong?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
II will take your advice, Jim and put some crayon on the strut and drive it around a little and see if it rubs. If it does, I guess I will buy some 5mm hubcentric spacers for the back and call it a day.
randall - FYI, i played with different offsets and it looks to me like anything less than 44mm will rub the fender. i have heard of some people using 42mm, but this did not work for me. to achieve 44mm, you'd need 3mm spacers. not sure if they're made? 47mm seems to be the de facto standard for 10" rears on a box, though, so i'd be suprised if you had problems with that.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
KronixSpeed

Hey Randall,

I had the same problem. I was so scared to even drive the car. I was pretty pissed and called the guy that I bought my rims from and he assured that this was okay. So just to make me happy he sent me 6mm or 7mm H&R spacers. I think that it's a good idea for you to also put a spacer. The 6mm spacer is not that big of a deal, you won't even really see the difference. But it made me feel safe driving.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #9

Insite, they are indeed 10 inch rims. I'm feeling more comfortable about taking it for a spin tomorrow to see if it rubs now.

Just new rim owner's jitters, I guess! I'll let you all know what I discover either way.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
KronixSpeed

Ohh sorry to clarify, that was the rear...7mm spacer.

The front i can just put a piece of cardboard upfront through the back of the wheel to the strut. I have no rubbing marks after 9000km on the inside rubber fenders. I know that if i try to take a turn in my drive way turning the wheel all the way it does rub. so i make sure not to turn it all the way. i take it easy and dont turn the wheel all the way to get out. this rarely happens that i have to turn the wheel all the way. I even drove up on a half ass curb to see if my wheel would touch the strut, and it didnt move a at all...meaning that the piece of cardboard still fit through the wheel to the strut. no need for front spacers, as long as you can get a piece of cardboard through.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
boggtown

Ha, I just put mine on and went like hell! I had a horrible ride though, lol, they forgot to send me the hub centric ring adapters so they were off center. But after that they were good.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #12

Kronix, thanks for your info as well. I have yet to inspect the fronts because they seemed so good right off the bat.

Boggtown, you crack me up, you wild man. Throwing caution to the wind with one's Boxster is not something I would do. So why did you need spacers anyway?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #13
KronixSpeed

They are very nice rims randall, I like how simple they look.

Congrats.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
really? i checked both in the air and on the ground. what size tires are you running? wheel width? i'm assuming a 10" rear width; am i wrong?
They're 9.5s with 275-30-19s. I don't have any great pictures of the rear showing the tire size and offset. This is about the best I can do.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 10-17-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
KronixSpeed

Randall boggtown has the same rims as me...we had the same issues...

ohh n the tire and rims shop down the street told me that all i needed was a piece of paper to fit through the gap. cardboard was a bit tight but good enough.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
boggtown

I am pretty sure we needed spacers because they wanted the lip as big as possible so they moved the hub back as far as possible, hence we needed a 7mm spacer to set it away far enough so it didnt hit. BTW if you ever want the feeling of the good old days on the farm, get the wheels I got, use the stock bolts plus extended ones for the rear, and dont put on the ring adapters, and its just like your driving a tractor. But ya, I wish I could afford some PS2's, enjoy those for both of us Randall.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Insite, they are indeed 10 inch rims. I'm feeling more comfortable about taking it for a spin tomorrow to see if it rubs now.

Just new rim owner's jitters, I guess! I'll let you all know what I discover either way.
what size tire? 265/35?

Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #18

yup, 265/35's
Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #19

Question Yikes!

I just got the same set of rims as Randallneighbor with cheaper Falken tires. The rims landed yesterday and like the numbnuts I can sometimes be, I took off my old 17" rims/tires and put on the new 18" rims/tires, torqued the bolts down to 97 ft/lbs, and away I rode....

I just caught up to this thread this morning and sure enough, I do have a cardboard-width clearance between the wheel and struts, but I am rubbing on the drivers-side brake cable housing, rubbed off some of the insulation. I will get a tie to pull back the cable housing a little.

I did have a question about centering the wheels, as the new wheels do not have the centering flange built into the wheel. Is there any trick to centering wheels that lack a flange? I just tried to line up the wheels on the bolt-holes as best I could, then slowly tightened them up.

Finally, because I have a modest clearance from the struts, I assume I do not need spacers, I perfer not to use them if I can avoid it, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Randall,

I honestly don't know. Like Grizzly said (Happy B'day BTW), make sure you're looking at it fully loaded on the ground. Have you considered things like Driver/Passenger weight, Full Fuel Tank and their possible effect?

Some suspension systems may have that much motion in them while others do not. I never checked it on the Boxster, so I can only recommend that you take it for a test drive and see. To make it easier to determine, I'd apply some chalk or bright Crayon to any parts you suspect may rub. After the test drive, check to see if any of it was rubbed off. 3-4mm is a fairly healthy clearance and I suspect you'll be OK. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim has a great idea here with checking for clearance. I am going to throw in my $0.02 and say that instead of using chalk or Crayon go buy some clay from somewhere and put it on the parts you're worried about rubbing. In one of my previous lives we used clay for various clearance issues particularly with fender wells when the car is in full jounce. After running the car at max handling we were able to measure actual clearance. If the clearance was less than 5mm (rule of thumb and not some magical calculation) we would make adjustments.

BTW - If you do go this route make sure you clean the surface first as the clay was a little tricky.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote