Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Cruise Control add

I have a 2003 986S and need to add the cruise control (Pelican cruise control hack in their "How to" articles). At the same time, I am going to add the On Board Computer hack. So I am going from a two stalk switch assembly to a four stalk assy (turn signal, wipers, OBC and cruise control).
The Pelican project for the OBC hack has you building a wiring harness with the wires ending up about 23" long There are a number of steps to get the right wires with their pins into a connector that fits in the OBC connector on the switch assy and the other end of the wires into a connector on the back of the instrument panel.
I have built the wiring harness for the OBC and am now looking at the How To article for the cruise control harness. And this is where it gets confusing. For the 2003 - 2004 986s, it says "For 2003-04 cars it's much easier. The cruise control functions are integrated into the instrument cluster, and all you need to do is wire the cruise control stalk switch to the appropriate pins in the instrument cluster. This is nearly identical to how the on board computer is wired up (see Pelican Technical Article: On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade). Connect the cruise control connector to the gauge cluster using the following table:

Cruise Control Connector - Boxster 2003-04
Cruise Control Connector Pin #1 Plug C on the Gauge Cluster (Grey) - pin #17
Cruise Control Connector Pin #2 Fuse B7 (black)
Cruise Control Connector Pin #3 Plug C on the Gauge Cluster (Grey) - pin #4
Cruise Control Connector Pin #4 Plug C on the Gauge Cluster (Grey) - pin #1"

My question is that it says "it is nearly identical to how the on board computer is wired up..." Well, when I did that harness, I basically had to cut and splice in different sets of wires, ending up with the 24" harness. It is not clear to me for the cruise control if one has to do the same thing. For one, the cruise control How To article says "You will also need a connector that plugs into the stalk (PN: 999-652-972-40), a VW wire connector (000-979-010..." I have the connector and two of the VW wires. But my question is do you simply cut the wires in half and plug the four pins into the connector and then add the pins to the other end of those four wires (three of which will be inserted into the connector on the gauge cluster and one wire to the B7 fuse)? If so, that would end up being a cruise control harness which is only about 12" long and will that be long enough to reach from the switch assy cruise control connector all the way to the back of the instrument panel and to the B7 fuse or do I need to add that extra length of wire to each of the wires coming off of the cruise control connector in order for the harness to reach all of its destinations (and again, be about 24" like the OBC harness)?
Thanx in advance to anyone who has done this upgrade and can answer the question about the length of wires needed for the cruise control harness.

2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I tried to follow their instructions (2013)...and think there was a little part which was not 100% precisely described…But the OBC worked, created that harness which plugs into the switch and the other ends into the proper cluster harness.
I ended up with a different open question on the pelican Forums concerning the CC Option (2013):

BRAN: How would i wire the cruise control connector in case of a 2001 Boxster with a 996 2004 gauge - Motronic or Instrument Gauge?

P.S.: I was able to add the OBC stalk switch without removing the steering wheel and I am still convinced to be able to do that with the other switch as well.