Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
Side Porsche

Motor Mount

I am going to replace the front motor mount while I am in there doing the water pump, thermostat, and belt. Something that I have seen come up a few times is that the engine mount support stop is recommended to replace at the same time. I noticed the shapes don't line up and there are post that say it doesn't fit as well as reviews on Pelican Parts. I know those childrens blocks are awfully difficult to work with.
Why?

I will be pressing a new mount in and I want to find what would be best for me. No track driving. Maybe an eventual autocross but most likely just canyon carving. Are the solid or semi solid mounts worth it? If I just wanted a stock style mount to press in are the inexpensive ones on Pelican Parts a good choice?

I believe I read somewhere that the 987 mounts fit and there is an upgraded 987 mount that fits somewhere between racing and stock that is supposed to be better. I also read that it's the same mount as stock and it's just a placebo.

What did you go with? Why?

It's early, I've got a headache, and thanks for reading my, possibly, incoherent ramblings.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:00 AM   #2

mipstein,

I went through this debacle myself (First World Problems!) and ended up using the Function First engine mount insert, specifically the Orange version. They sell three versions, with Orange being the closest to the OEM insert, but a bit more stiffer than OEM, and possibly similar to the 987 insert (I did consider the 987 insert, truth be told.) I wanted something not TOO bone jarring because my car is 90% used on the street and I still wanted some level of comfort. A few guys I know went the 987 way, and we all agreed that there was no huge difference after driving each others cars. In fact, like yourself, I did mine when doing the water pump, thermostat, and belt last summer in 2019.

There are some other folks out there who used the Sport version (yellow) and complained it was unbearable, and finally the track version, for guys who pretty much use their car for near-dedicated track duty, and this one being the worst on the street. I would say that the orange version was the best compromise of them all, and I am quite happy with it, but others will say it was the worst thing since the plague, and have taken them off, defaulting to OEM. I suspect their vehicles have other issues that need to be sorted out, or their tolerance for extra vibration is low. I would go as far to say that even going to the OEM replacement will make a difference because these cars are not 3 years old anymore, so one should, and will notice a difference.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-15-2020 at 09:09 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I used the 987 mount, bush and side rubbers and kept my old mount as a bookend 👍
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The solid and semi-solid (Wevo) engine mounts are generally not unacceptable for street use. The car will transmit so much vibration that the side mirrors will be blurry at idle. Ask me how I know.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

I used a 987 mount with the orange FF inserts, and I found it to be a good compromise, but my car is mostly track, with minimal street driving. On the street though, its not offensive
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #6

Garage
I Went for the updated parts:

98737502305 + 9A137525701 (The black rubber side to be mounted inwards according to my local PC)

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

Went with the Lemfoerder engine mount for my 98 2.5l. Works great. And plenty better than the crumbling one I had in there.

Good call on doing the water pump, t-stat and belt while you are in there. I separated the tasks and while not impossible, I can see how doing it at the same time would be way easier.

Good luck.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:20 AM   #8

Garage
I've been running the Powerflex yellow street bushing in the front mount for about 15k. No issues or complaints. Maybe a tiny increase in vibration over the torn oem mount that was on there. But nothing real noticeable like the mirrors vibrating or anything like that. The harder race compound they offer is probably a different story.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 02:59 AM   #9
Side Porsche

I think the two that really caught my attention are the: PowerFlex yellow street bushing, which appears to be an everything in the package. <-This is my choice so far. It has a lifetime warranty on it which makes it rather appealing and its a mostly solid mount and not just an insert.
Function First engine mount inserts w/stock bushing

Is there anything to know about either of these? I want to weight the negatives of each if anyone has anything scathing to say.

Last edited by mipstien; 04-16-2020 at 03:07 AM.
mipstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #10

eh, the insert turns the oem mount into basically a solid piece. Its not a huge difference I don't think, so whichever one appeals more should be fine.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #11
Side Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
eh, the insert turns the oem mount into basically a solid piece. Its not a huge difference I don't think, so whichever one appeals more should be fine.
Sounds good. Ordered the Powerflex bushing. Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated. I have a terrible time making decisions on this stuff.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #12
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Do the gearbox mounts whole you are at it. You can turn your hydraulic fluid ones into poly ones.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipstien View Post
Sounds good. Ordered the Powerflex bushing. Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated. I have a terrible time making decisions on this stuff.
Let us know how it goes. I hadn't seen the Powerflex option when I was searching for this.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #14

Looking forward to hearing more about this. I'm going to replace my engine mount and the powerflex option mentioned here looks interesting. Pls report back!
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #15

FWIW I recently replaced a brand new OEM stock rubber motor mount with a Wevo semi-solid mount in hopes of more accurate shifting. Still have the stock transmission mounts.

IMHO it was a drastic increase in NVH that I think most drivers would not enjoy. Doesn't bother me much, in fact I like the "racy" urgency in the car now, but just want other people to be aware of the expectations
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #16

Garage
I have a mount with very high density foam that works great I'll sell.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
FWIW I recently replaced a brand new OEM stock rubber motor mount with a Wevo semi-solid mount in hopes of more accurate shifting. Still have the stock transmission mounts.

IMHO it was a drastic increase in NVH that I think most drivers would not enjoy. Doesn't bother me much, in fact I like the "racy" urgency in the car now, but just want other people to be aware of the expectations
Hello Jmitro,

If you want to compliment the 'racy urgency', I have a set of the Rennline transmission mounts (with three different hardness inserts) that will sell you for $200 shipped.
I believe that Rennline sells these for $375.

https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tunable-Semi-Solid-Engine-Mount-Pair/productinfo/M18/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07TH1cvA6QIVUy2tBh1i2A6aEAEYASA BEgKgJvD_BwE

These were installed on my 987CS for about a year (with the softest rubber) and they do not fit on the 981CS.

Last edited by Gilles; 05-19-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #18

I/ve got the 987 motor mount with the Funciton-First sport-yellow insert and their Performance Transmission Mounts. It is fine on the street, not harsh at all.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #19

For the front I went with a stock 987. I did some time a Cayman R with a solid. It was unbearable on the grid. I will admit up at 7/10ths or 7/10ths for me all was fine and smooth probably because I was too busy or scared to notice.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:19 AM   #20

How did it go???

I considered that option but went with the std 987 mount. My old mount was original and cracked but the new 987 rubber actually seems softer.
Perhaps this is because the old one was dried out. I ended up buying a powerflex insert. Thought it would protect the new mount and wasn't considerably more costly than a new set of side spacers -- which were also needed. My original side spacers were in remarkably good condition and I tried modifying the holes to accommodate the newer mount's "egg shaped" bolt locations but decided the spacers were too thin and generally didn't fit well enough. This is the street insert I chose: https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pfr57-521-porsche-boxster-986-987-cayman-987-front-engine-mount-bushing-insert-3775

Will hopefully arrive soon. I've had my Boxster on jack stands for nearly six weeks for what was originally an IMS, RMS, and clutch job but ended up also replacing the AOS, water pump, coolant tank, transmission input/output seals, exhaust bolt hardware, etc. Well over half of that time was degreasing and and waiting for parts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mipstien View Post

geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote