Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 04:03 AM   #1

Coolant fill & Fan Issue

Hey all, I’m new to the forum but happy to be apart of it. I recently did water pump & thermostat replacement on my 99. I went through the bleed procedure a bunch of times with the rear in the air. Now I’m noticing with my durametric that my temps are getting pretty hot but no sign of the fans kicking in at temp. My temp has gotten up to 96 degrees C. I’ve tested fans by running Ac as well as test with durametric, just replaced my coolant cap with the updated 04 as mine was 00 but still nothing. Btw also checked relays and two fuses, just scratching my head at this point. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks

986guy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #2

You have an air pocket.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Yup. Air pocket.

When I replaced my WP and therm in addition to raising the rear I left open the coolant tank bleeder valve open for a couple of driving days. Worked for me.

Also, just after completing the procedure I drove up a steep incline hill.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Entering 10 words to make my ridiculous comment go away

Last edited by paulofto; 04-10-2020 at 09:28 AM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #5

For starters, I'm no mechanic. That said, I read a lot and have done a number of repairs on the Box I have owned for ~14 years now, much of the info derived from this forum.

When it comes to refilling coolant, seems to me that using a vacuum filling system is far away the best approach. That said, if you want to go the other route, read insite's recommendation in this thread. (He's a member who, unfortunately, doesn't frequent this site much at all anymore. I say "unfortunately" because it seemed to me he did a lot of his own work and had a pretty good idea what he was talking about in his comments/recommendations.)

cooling system woes
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Uview Airlift 550000. I have had one for several years and used it multiple times without issue. It works just as easy as the attached video demonstrates. One and done. No need to drive around with the bleeder open, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnfUe6P5VI&t=3s
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Uview Airlift 550000. I have had one for several years and used it multiple times without issue. It works just as easy as the attached video demonstrates. One and done. No need to drive around with the bleeder open, etc.

Thanks for all the info guys. Been trying to locate an airlift locally, cause of the pandemic. I’m going to put it back on the ramps tomorrow and try getting the air out again. Any recommendations? Leaving reservoir cap off ect?
986guy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986guy1 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. Been trying to locate an airlift locally, cause of the pandemic. I’m going to put it back on the ramps tomorrow and try getting the air out again. Any recommendations? Leaving reservoir cap off ect?
Umm...you check the link I posted? Here, I'll save you the trouble. Here's his post:
a lot of people over-think this. open the bleeder & reservoir cap. fill it up w/ coolant. start the car & let it warm up. once the thermostat opens, the coolant level will drop. shut the motor & fill it back up with coolant. now go for a 20min drive with the bleeder OPEN. go home, shut the bleeder, park the car, and DO NOT OPEN THE RESERVOIR CAP. let the car cool off on its own. once it's cool, top it off again & you're good.

important note: once the big bubbles are out, the system is self-bleeding!!!
Like I said, if I was doing this without the airlift, this is what I'd probably do.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I have never used a vacuum bleeder for the coolant and my experience has been hit and miss. Sometimes the manual procedure works fine and other times it doesn't.

When it doesn't, I end up with the temp gauge going to nearly full hot after just a few minutes of driving. I never worry about what the fans are doing because my car doesn't have radiator fans - both have been removed to reduce weight.

Then I let it cool down, refill/top up as needed, and rebleed to the best that I can and then drive it again with the cap on but the bleeder valve open. Usually I get it working normally by the 2nd or 3rd try.

If I still couldn't get the coolant temp to act normally after 3 trys, I'd drain the system and start all over from scratch. Or buy a power bleeder.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-12-2020 at 09:13 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:59 AM   #10

whats wrong with 96C? Thats very normal as far as I'm concerned. Low speed fans dont kick on until 100c as i recall it and highspeeds is like 110C or so.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:41 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post

That's a pretty darn cool tool. I'm putting that on my list of things to add to my tool chest.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:24 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I'd just do it old-school. The Airlift is a great tool... gadget... but, what? You changing out your coolant every three-months?
Old 04-14-2020, 04:41 AM   #13

Garage
What FRODO said. I have a 99 have done this three times works flawless. Twice I have replaced water pump once I added an S center radiator. I had a UVIEW sold it personally thought it unnecessary. Open the bleeder on the coolant NOT the cap drove around my neighborhood for 20 minutes close the bleeder. Never had a problem. Just my experience.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #14
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'd just do it old-school. The Airlift is a great tool... gadget... but, what? You changing out your coolant every three-months?
I got my airlift for under $60CDN and I have 3 vehicles of my own I’ve used it on. Along with friends and relatives using it I more than got my money’s worth. The only downside is you need a compressor to work it. Luckily my brother in law owns one.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote