Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Garage
Are 986 Litronics plug-in-play?

Hello Everyone!

I'm hoping the many minds of 986forum.com can confirm for me that Bosch Litronic headlights are plug-in-play and require no re-wiring unless you want the low beams to be able to move up and down.

Thanks everyone,

Bennett

DIY work so far:
- Row Kit, Tie Rods, Drop Links, Elephant Racing Control Arm Bushings, Water Pump replacement, IMS guardian, 968 Sport Seats, and Axle Shaft rebuilds.
grimesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #2

I can confirm it, my boxster came with halogens and I replaced them with litronics I got off ebay, it was a plug and play swap. As you say, I don't have the low beams that rotate up when high beams are engaged. A big improvement. When I first got them I wasn't as impressed but it was because the bulbs were old and "worn out", getting 2 new bulbs solved it for me and they are way better/brighter than the halos and in my opinion look way better too.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, they are plug-and-play. I have a set here that I'm installing a set of Freds projectors into. The self leveling feature is completely separate and the headlights work as stand-alone units without the self leveling feature.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

If you can find a set for a decent price, it's one of the nicest mods you can do on your boxster. I love the way they look and how bright they are at night compared to the halogens. Day and night difference.

Bought mine 7 years ago for $1250 for the pair. Sadly, they're a lot more now.

If you can buy the wiring box that rotates them upward for high beams you should do it. Excellent for dark mountain road driving.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
If you can find a set for a decent price, it's one of the nicest mods you can do on your boxster. I love the way they look and how bright they are at night compared to the halogens. Day and night difference.

Bought mine 7 years ago for $1250 for the pair. Sadly, they're a lot more now.

If you can buy the wiring box that rotates them upward for high beams you should do it. Excellent for dark mountain road driving.
I think grimesb may actually have a set to sell:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/55106-headlights-m-trans-2nd-cats-f-s.html

I just finished a "budget" litronic upgrade http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html without the wiring harness and control unit. They work fine, but I'd prefer to have the high-beam rotation function if the extra parts aren't too expensive. If anyone is selling just the harness and control unit, please send me a PM.

I think the nicest upgrade I've done is replacing my plastic rear window/no headliner top with an 04 top and frame. But, the litronics are very nice especially around this time of year when I'm driving home after dark. I'd love to see the high beam rotation in action. I guess I'll have to wait until I can buy the parts off the right "part out".

By the way according to this video, (at around the 17 minute 40 second point) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELiDIIbmH4k&feature=youtu.be the word "litronic" is pronounced "Lie tronic". I had been saying it with a short "i" sound like in lithium. Also "Tequipment" is pronounced "Tay quipment." I guess that is what happens when you buy everything second hand. There is no salesperson to correct your pronunciation. Oh well, at least I pronounce Porsche with two syllables.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-17-2014 at 12:08 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #6

LOL @ 7:49 "Integrated dry sump lubrication ensures a reliable supply of oil to all cylinders even under extreme conditions such as long high speed corners."
Old 12-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I got these from Pedro a few years ago and very happy with them and the price is definitely right!

TechnoLite HID
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1 View Post
I got these from Pedro a few years ago and very happy with them and the price is definitely right!

TechnoLite HID
That triggers an interesting thought.

As I noted above, I recently bought a set of used OEM litronic headlights which I was able to refurbish and install on my car. Because they were out of a wreck, I didn't receive a controller or wiring harness with them that would permit the xenon bulbs to swivel up and reinforce the high beams when they are switched on. I have been searching for the components I need to install that feature, but I thought that a better option might be to install the TechnoLite_HD kit in place of the current H7 Halogen bulb used for the high beam. This would essentially create a Bi-Xenon headlight.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this. The main drawback to doing this appears to be that there would be two ballasts on the back of the headlight. The OEM ballast is quite large and takes up a lot of territory. So, while the TechnoLite_HD ballast is small, there may not be enough real estate to accommodate it on the back of the headlight.

I also want to verify that having two xenon bulbs running simultaneously in each headlight wouldn't draw too much current or otherwise harm the electrical system. According to the Porsche literature, the OEM Litronics use 30% less power than the halogens. But, there could be a momentary surge when they turn on that exceeds some limit in the system. Heat does not appear to be problem because the xenon bulbs are said to run at a lower temperature than the halogens.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 12-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The system can handle a separate 35 watt ballast on the high beam circuit, but HIDS take about 5-10 seconds to warm up. They wouldn't be much use for daytime flashing and the constant on/off may be hard on the ballasts.
Looking at the Lits I have here, I would recommend installing solenoid activated bi-xenon cutoffs in place of the OEM fixed cutoff.

Most HID kits are CANBUS ready these days and cost around $30-50.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #10

Hi,

i live in germany and my Litronic Bi-Xenon headlights are stock. The Xenon beams move up when you turn on high beam and move down if you turn on low beam. So high beam doesn't work if the light element doesn't move up.

The electronic adjustment of the beams are also very important because they level the beams correctly so you do not blend oncoming traffic.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

i live in germany and my Litronic Bi-Xenon headlights are stock. The Xenon beams move up when you turn on high beam and move down if you turn on low beam. So high beam doesn't work if the light element doesn't move up.

The electronic adjustment of the beams are also very important because they level the beams correctly so you do not blend oncoming traffic.

Regards
Markus

Lits, without the leveling sensors, are perfectly fine if they are meant for the low beam alone (e.g. city cars). If you are able to manually adjust them to the recommended height/aim they shouldn't blind incoming traffic. The high beam won't work indeed but still it gives the driver the impression that it does. Intensity doubles... and that seems to work for some.

I think people often buys Lit for the look - not necessarily/only for better lighting performance. Not a cheap cosmetic upgrade for sure... one guy here recently imported a set (total $2,150). He knew well what you said but wanted the "modern look in day time"... to each his own!

A retrofit of the halogen with "bi-xenon ready" projectors is the way to go. If lighting system performance is looked after anyway. Nearly 50~75% cheaper than Lits as well.... go figure
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #12

I did a little more research last night and found this on the Pelican web site: Pelican Technical Article: Budget Boxster HID Headlamp Retrofit - 986 / 987

The author makes the following statement:

You can install an HID kit for your low beams, high beams, and even the fog lamps. I have seen cars with three kits installed, and their fog lamp switch modified so that all three are on at the same time. When you're finished with the installation, be sure to align your headlamps so that you're not pointing the beam into oncoming traffic. In most states, the use of non-factory HID kits are designated for “off-road use only.” Keep in mind that if you don't have a street-legal headlamp system, then you may invite tickets from law enforcement.

So, I guess I'm not the first person to think of this. However, the points you all make lead me to conclude that this is not the best approach. Also, living in Virginia, I find that the combination of State inspection laws and enforcement measures makes it unwise to "push the envelope" on modifications to safety features such as headlights.

I'm not sure I fully understand Particleweave's suggestion. I'll search on his terms and see what I can find out. Since I've already opened and resealed the headlights once, I'm not sure that I want to go through that again.

It sounds like I need to redouble my efforts to find the OEM harness and controller at a good price.

Regarding Nine8Six's comment, "I think people often buys Lit for the look - not necessarily/only for better lighting performance." This is definitely a secondary consideration, but I do think they add to the appearance of the car. Kind of like marrying a beautiful woman that loves you and discovering that she is rich.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-22-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #13

The Litronics have Halogen high beams which work fine in that capacity. If you have the harness and module, then the low beam tilts up 1.5 degrees to assist the existing halogen high beam. While I have never seen it, I bet it is awesome

There is a Porsche TSB that shows how to add the high beam module/wiring for cars that have had Litronics added, that would be the one I would follow (although it is kind of complex). There are also some write-ups on the web, and also the pelican parts guide.

I can't find the TSB anywhere right now but it is on renntech.org (can't access from work computer) but I think you have to be a contributor.

Set up a search on eBay for the wiring harness and the module; they popup from time to time and sometimes deals can be found...
Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

A retrofit of the halogen with "bi-xenon ready" projectors is the way to go. If lighting system performance is looked after anyway. Nearly 50~75% cheaper than Lits as well.... go figure
If/when I get a clear set of halos my lits are going back on eBay from whence they came and I am getting a set of these. Or... a friend has a 996 with clear halos with a burnt inner lense... I am working on a trade...
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Also, living in Virginia, I find that the combination of State inspection laws and enforcement measures makes it unwise to "push the envelope" on modifications to safety features such as headlights.
When you say headlight mods... if you are referring to the plastic kits/shrouds commonly avail on ebay then yes... believe me your inspector is all aware of those and will often tell you off. Same happening in China!

Have a look in the DYI section of this site. Pretty slick kits avail exclusive to Porsche cars only. Now those are NOT the common $35 plastic looking kits that, like you said, some states are trying to crack down onto

AND nor they are called a "modification". They are a major "IMPROVEMENT" to the headlight and, imo, much safer than fading/burnt halogens

and they are so much better than your Litetronnik (my headlights better than yours na-na-na-na-na!!!)

There... said it LOL

Last edited by Nine8Six; 12-22-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If/when I get a clear set of halos my lits are going back on eBay from whence they came and I am getting a set of these. Or... a friend has a 996 with clear halos with a burnt inner lense... I am working on a trade...
Not a bad move, others who've got them fitted would agree with you I'm sure.

When you are ready shoot me a quick PM, I'll make it easy for you
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Lits, without the leveling sensors, are perfectly fine if they are meant for the low beam alone (e.g. city cars). If you are able to manually adjust them to the recommended height/aim they shouldn't blind incoming traffic. The high beam won't work indeed but still it gives the driver the impression that it does. Intensity doubles... and that seems to work for some.
Hi,

well maybe that works for some. But the Litronic auto levels the xenon beams when turned on.

So you run an optimal level at low beam and high beam. Without the automatic leveling system the benefit of the Litronic will be very low. This system really works very good and makes a real good light. But it needs the leveling system to work good.

I'll try to make a video.

Regards
Markus
Old 12-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

Well that's the thing with Lits... they are so good (talking about the HB reflector design) that even with the projector in the way they glow like daytime. Never heard anyone complaining about the high beam so "my guess" is they're still worth of a good mod to those who doesn't want to bother installing the leveling kit and harness. From what I understood the level/kit/harness can be a pretty demoralizing job

But I completely understand what you are trying to say there

and yes, it's cosmetic more than anything else. They DO change the appearance of the front-end completely. Fact
Old 12-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Markus,

I'd love to see a video if you get the chance. Maybe with both the high beam operation and load leveling (by bouncing the front end up and down a little)?
That would be great!

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

well maybe that works for some. But the Litronic auto levels the xenon beams when turned on.

So you run an optimal level at low beam and high beam. Without the automatic leveling system the benefit of the Litronic will be very low. This system really works very good and makes a real good light. But it needs the leveling system to work good.

I'll try to make a video.

Regards
Markus
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #20

Hi,

so i did a little video. Hope you can see how the complete light unit is moving up and down. At the moment i have a connection problem with my left front light. When i put on high beam the left blinker light turns on. Will fix that later on - drive the car only from april to october.

Porsche Boxster 986 Litronic - YouTube

Regards
Markus