View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
KevinH1990

I did a little more research last night and found this on the Pelican web site: Pelican Technical Article: Budget Boxster HID Headlamp Retrofit - 986 / 987

The author makes the following statement:

You can install an HID kit for your low beams, high beams, and even the fog lamps. I have seen cars with three kits installed, and their fog lamp switch modified so that all three are on at the same time. When you're finished with the installation, be sure to align your headlamps so that you're not pointing the beam into oncoming traffic. In most states, the use of non-factory HID kits are designated for “off-road use only.” Keep in mind that if you don't have a street-legal headlamp system, then you may invite tickets from law enforcement.

So, I guess I'm not the first person to think of this. However, the points you all make lead me to conclude that this is not the best approach. Also, living in Virginia, I find that the combination of State inspection laws and enforcement measures makes it unwise to "push the envelope" on modifications to safety features such as headlights.

I'm not sure I fully understand Particleweave's suggestion. I'll search on his terms and see what I can find out. Since I've already opened and resealed the headlights once, I'm not sure that I want to go through that again.

It sounds like I need to redouble my efforts to find the OEM harness and controller at a good price.

Regarding Nine8Six's comment, "I think people often buys Lit for the look - not necessarily/only for better lighting performance." This is definitely a secondary consideration, but I do think they add to the appearance of the car. Kind of like marrying a beautiful woman that loves you and discovering that she is rich.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-22-2014 at 06:29 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote