Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 16
2003 Boxster S Aftermarket Nav?Sat Upgrade

I have a, new to me, 2003 Boxster S with the Bose system. Given that it is a 2003 MY car, it also has the MOST wiring system. I am looking to replace the single DIN unit in the car with a Double Din unit that has SAT, NAV, and Apple Car Play. I have done searches on here, Crutchfield and CAI and can't seem to find something that would work in my car. I am willing to replace the amp if necessary. Anyone else have experience in doing this upgrade?

Also, for those of you who may have installed a SAT radio antenna under the plastic cowling forward of the windshield, have you had problems in SAT radio reception with that location?

__________________
Harry
1970 911T Hot Rod R Gruppe 781
2003 Boxster S
2007 997.1 GT3
2018 Macan S
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Registered User
 
KevinH1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonmeister View Post
Also, for those of you who may have installed a SAT radio antenna under the plastic cowling forward of the windshield, have you had problems in SAT radio reception with that location?
I cannot help with the MOST compatibility issue. I have a 2000 and that is from the "pre-most" era.

I expect a satellite radio antenna would work fine in the location you are considering. Check out this thread: XM Satellite Radio in Boxster - Pelican Parts Forums for another option.
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver/Black, Hard Top, On Board Computer
PNP Rear Speakers, HAES 6-Channel Amp, Avic Z140BH,
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 04-07-2020 at 02:35 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LB, Germany
Posts: 1,357
Don't know if this will be also available on the US market. It's espcially for 986 and 996 cars from 1999 - 2005 and seems to support MOST bus, Apple Car Play, Android Car and so on.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/Classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerProductDetail?ReadForm&country=germany&se=996&mo=&my=&ca=&sw=&pr=CEDC8FD21252AE9BC12584B90052B538
Attached Images
 
__________________
https://986fans.de

Last edited by Smallblock454; 04-08-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,377
Is Crutchfields still around? Yep. https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Poolesville, MD
Posts: 2
I picked up a roller 2003 Boxster S and just got it back after an engine rebuild. I recently replaced the OEM radio with a single DIN as I prefer to use iPhone map for navigation. I went with Kenwood Excelon KDC-X704, Kenwood Excelon XR401-4, Infinity Reference REF-5032cfx, Infinity Reference REF-4032cfx, Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter, Metra 70-1784 Receiver Wiring Harness, Metra 71-017C Speaker Wiring Harnesses and Crutchfield CK4. The receiver wiring harness supplied positive and ground but not auxiliary power so needed a fuse tap with pigtail to fuse A6 (heat seating). I also ran a wire directly from stereo to the amps power control terminal. The OEM dash speaker brackets were modified for the new speaker and I used the OEM amp bracket and positioned it to the passenger side of the frunk because the new amp was larger than the OEM one and couldn't fit in the original location. I tried salvaging the OEM speaker harness that connects to the OEM amp but it was too much trouble so I just cut it out.




JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Don't know if this will be also available on the US market. It's espcially for 986 and 996 cars from 1999 - 2005 and seems to support MOST bus, Apple Car Play, Android Car and so on.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/Classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerProductDetail?ReadForm&country=germany&se=996&mo=&my=&ca=&sw=&pr=CEDC8FD21252AE9BC12584B90052B538

Interesting. Looks like it is Europe only at this time, but I’m sure that will change given a bit more time.

Here’s Google’s attempt at translating the description:



Do you sometimes talk to your classic? He with you now.

Available soon from your Porsche partner: The Porsche Classic Communication Management Plus (PCCM Plus) for vehicles with a 2-DIN slot.

Your PCCM Plus combines timeless driving pleasure with pioneering technology. Even if you like to travel in the classic way and sometimes skip the time: it is definitely important to you to get to your destination easily, comfortably and without traffic jams. The new Porsche Classic Communication Management Plus supports you in this.

With its unique, original Porsche look including Porsche lettering, the PCCM Plus fits seamlessly into the interior. In addition to operation via a high-resolution 7-inch touch display with optimized display, modern functions such as DAB + (Europe), Apple CarPlay and GOOGLE Android Auto are now embedded in the PCCM Plus. In addition, the PCCM Plus has additional onboard navigation with Porsche-specific points of interest (POI). The route is guided in 2D or 3D. The associated map material is provided via an external SD card, which can be ordered from your Porsche Classic Partner or the Porsche Center.

Media can be played back via an SD card, USB, AUX and Bluetooth. With the PCCM Plus, Apple CarPlay and GOOGLE Android Auto can also be used for media playback, navigation and telephony.

Note: Porsche Classic recommends having the installation done professionally by your Porsche partner.

Further information
For Europe only.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spyder_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LB, Germany
Posts: 1,357
Some more infos in the technical specs.

Also it seems that this unit definitely does support MOST-bus, which is a big plus for me.

__________________
https://986fans.de
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LB, Germany
Posts: 1,357
Bigger photo.
Attached Images
 
__________________
https://986fans.de
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonmeister View Post
I have a, new to me, 2003 Boxster S with the Bose system. Given that it is a 2003 MY car, it also has the MOST wiring system. I am looking to replace the single DIN unit in the car with a Double Din unit that has SAT, NAV, and Apple Car Play. I have done searches on here, Crutchfield and CAI and can't seem to find something that would work in my car. I am willing to replace the amp if necessary. Anyone else have experience in doing this upgrade?

Also, for those of you who may have installed a SAT radio antenna under the plastic cowling forward of the windshield, have you had problems in SAT radio reception with that location?
I recently upgraded my '04 S with a double din unit that has all the things you want. It actually doesn't have built-in Nav, but it gets the feed from the phone via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I happen to think that's better than built-in Nav anyway -- no updates, better software. I got a Pioneer 2500 head unit and a Soundstream 5 ch amp. Yes, you have to change the amp. There's also a model 4500 that has a couple of more bells and whistles, but it's nearly double the price and wasn't worth it to me. There are also better amps than the Soundstream, but the Soundstream does a fine job. I didn't want to spend $4k on the audio for a $12k car.

As to your Q about the mounting of the Sat radio antenna, yes, I've experienced some reception issues with the cowl mounting where it cuts out in certain situations that my DD, which has Sat, never cuts out. I spoke to my audio guy and he's going to relocate it to the top of the windshield. Don't have results yet to report.

Here's a picture of my install:

__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's

Last edited by BoxMann; 04-09-2020 at 08:17 PM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I recently upgraded my '04 S with a double din unit that has all the things you want. It actually doesn't have built-in Nav, but it gets the feed from the phone via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I happen to think that's better than built-in Nav anyway -- no updates, better software. I got a Pioneer 2500 head unit and a Soundstream 5 ch amp. Yes, you have to change the amp. There's also a model 4500 that has a couple of more bells and whistles, but it's nearly double the price and wasn't worth it to me. There are also better amps than the Soundstream, but the Soundstream does a fine job. I didn't want to spend $4k on the audio for a $12k car.

As to your Q about the mounting of the Sat radio antenna, yes, I've experienced some reception issues with the cowl mounting where it cuts out in certain situations that my DD, which has Sat, never cuts out. I spoke to my audio guy and he's going to relocate it to the top of the windshield. Don't have results yet to report.

Here's a picture of my install:

BoxMann: I bought a Kenwood DDX6906 and all of the other parts from CAI. Like you, I am going to rely on my iPhone for Nav. However, being in the SW, I have had occasional problems with the iPhone losing reception (Verizon) and wished I had actual satellite capability. But I find that if I lay out my route within cell coverage and then eventually lose it that the Apple map will continue to plot my progress with the turns though the route 'grays' out from its usual blue color. I got lost once coming back from the Hill Country Rallye in Kerrville, TX and wished I had had the Garmin with me.

BTW, what is located just above the head unit? I have one of those pull out double cup holders in that space and was hoping that I could retain that with the new head unit installation.

__________________
Harry
1970 911T Hot Rod R Gruppe 781
2003 Boxster S
2007 997.1 GT3
2018 Macan S
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page