View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
BoxMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonmeister View Post
I have a, new to me, 2003 Boxster S with the Bose system. Given that it is a 2003 MY car, it also has the MOST wiring system. I am looking to replace the single DIN unit in the car with a Double Din unit that has SAT, NAV, and Apple Car Play. I have done searches on here, Crutchfield and CAI and can't seem to find something that would work in my car. I am willing to replace the amp if necessary. Anyone else have experience in doing this upgrade?

Also, for those of you who may have installed a SAT radio antenna under the plastic cowling forward of the windshield, have you had problems in SAT radio reception with that location?
I recently upgraded my '04 S with a double din unit that has all the things you want. It actually doesn't have built-in Nav, but it gets the feed from the phone via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I happen to think that's better than built-in Nav anyway -- no updates, better software. I got a Pioneer 2500 head unit and a Soundstream 5 ch amp. Yes, you have to change the amp. There's also a model 4500 that has a couple of more bells and whistles, but it's nearly double the price and wasn't worth it to me. There are also better amps than the Soundstream, but the Soundstream does a fine job. I didn't want to spend $4k on the audio for a $12k car.

As to your Q about the mounting of the Sat radio antenna, yes, I've experienced some reception issues with the cowl mounting where it cuts out in certain situations that my DD, which has Sat, never cuts out. I spoke to my audio guy and he's going to relocate it to the top of the windshield. Don't have results yet to report.

Here's a picture of my install:

Last edited by BoxMann; 04-09-2020 at 08:17 PM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote