Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Rear speak connector help: Connector type and pin wiring layout?

I picked up a well-used 99 a few weeks ago and I finally got to figuring out why the rear speakers don't function. It turns out that at some point the connector was crushed and pulled loose from the wiring leading up to the package tray, certainly by the top mechanism. The connector for the speakers is fine, the other is completely separated from the wires. So, I have four wires and no idea how they should go into the connector.

I have two options at this point: I can retrofit the missing stock connector on the sending side, or I can splice in a complete 4-pin MOLEX on both the speaker and sending side.

Two questions: What is the designation of the stock connector? I've used plenty of 4-pin MOLEX connectors, but I haven't seen one like this. It's bigger, has a slight curve to it, and the two outer pin channels are 'U' shaped while the inner two are round. What is this called so that I can buy one?

Failing that, what is the layout of the wiring coming out of the speaker side of the connector? All the wires leading into the speakers are black, while those on the sending side have the normal color coding. I would need to know this in order to wire in a new MOLEX on both sides.

I've poked around here and on the internets, and looked at the Pelican DIY and haven't been able to find this information.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Speakers

I hooked up a rear deck not too long ago. Sit took me awhile but I found a stock sending connector on eBay. I'm not at home right now but when I get back next week, I'll look up the site and give you a copy of the invoice. I think it was about $15 and hooked right into he stock receiving connector. Easy as pie.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

I had a similar issue where I screwed up the (female) end of the connector (coming from the stereo) with the wires pulled out and the piece itself beyond repair. Not sure if it's the same, but mine was a BMW part, #1378134. Can you see any part number on yours?

I'm pretty sure I found out that the connector (both ends) was no longer produced, but I could be wrong. I managed to find a used end with 4 or 5 inches of the wires attached on Ebay, that came from Latvia of all places, for 10 bucks or so.

Looking from the end, the cross section is round on one edge and squared off on the other, so there is only one orientation by which it connects. Does that sound like your set up? With that in mind I would be able to tell you the proper scheme on the wire color order, starting from either one edge or the other. What color are the wires coming from your stereo (source)? I'll check my car later today or tomorrow.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

The harness coming from the radio should terminate in a connector that slides into and locks to a square white nylon part that locks into a square hole in the roll bar on the passenger side of the car. The speaker harness then plugs into it there. This allows the rear speakers to be disconnected/reconnected quickly when removing the rear shelf.

The parts are all (speaker side connector/radio side connector and the white nylon part) BMW parts. The radio side harness was supplied by the guys who made the radio (Becker AutoSound LLC). You should still be able to order a replacement radio harness from them, but it's not cheap ($79 including shipping!) and I don't recommend doing that.

Instead, I would bring your broken connector (which should have a BMW part number molded into it) to any BMW dealer and they should be able to match it up and give you another as well as the pins you'll need to reattach the ripped out wires. BWM used those connectors and the white nylon part for wiring harnesses that ran down the center consoles of many different BMW models. The connectors and the white part are cheap, just a few $ each. If you don't already have one on your rollbar, make sure you get the white nylon part to attach the radio side harness to the rollbar. It will keep it out of the way from being ripped again by your convertible top. The BMW part number for the nylon part is: 61-13-1-378-997 (2035HBRACKET) and cost (when I last bought one) $3.67.

As far as which wire goes into which slot in the connector, I'll try to dig that up for you.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 AM   #5

If it's more convenient, a picture of the connector in the car will do. I need to see which wires go into which pins. I found a smallish pic which showed colored wires on the outside and black on the inside, but I couldn't see the orientation of the connector.

However, I think I might have another problem. I repinned the wires (actually, I pinned several short pieces and crushed them onto the existing stubs) and decided to figure out right/left by putting my stero to right/left and plugging the pins individually into the shelf speaker connector. However, I didn't get any sound at all, which tells me that there is another issue, either with the wiring harness to the rear, or with the amplifier.

Are the package shelf speakers on the same amp as the door and dash speakers?
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
2004 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyed7711 View Post
I had a similar issue where I screwed up the (female) end of the connector (coming from the stereo) with the wires pulled out and the piece itself beyond repair. Not sure if it's the same, but mine was a BMW part, #1378134. Can you see any part number on yours?

I'm pretty sure I found out that the connector (both ends) was no longer produced, but I could be wrong. I managed to find a used end with 4 or 5 inches of the wires attached on Ebay, that came from Latvia of all places, for 10 bucks or so.

Looking from the end, the cross section is round on one edge and squared off on the other, so there is only one orientation by which it connects. Does that sound like your set up? With that in mind I would be able to tell you the proper scheme on the wire color order, starting from either one edge or the other. What color are the wires coming from your stereo (source)? I'll check my car later today or tomorrow.
I have found a used rear deck without speakers. I will add some soon. I'd like to make my own stereo harness that would look OEM. BMW sells the female connector, part number 61131378134 and the bracket 61131378997.

I cannot find the male connector that will come out of the rear deck. Would someone have a part number or a picture of their own on which I could extract a part number ?
Thanks !