View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Shawn Stanford

Rear speak connector help: Connector type and pin wiring layout?

I picked up a well-used 99 a few weeks ago and I finally got to figuring out why the rear speakers don't function. It turns out that at some point the connector was crushed and pulled loose from the wiring leading up to the package tray, certainly by the top mechanism. The connector for the speakers is fine, the other is completely separated from the wires. So, I have four wires and no idea how they should go into the connector.

I have two options at this point: I can retrofit the missing stock connector on the sending side, or I can splice in a complete 4-pin MOLEX on both the speaker and sending side.

Two questions: What is the designation of the stock connector? I've used plenty of 4-pin MOLEX connectors, but I haven't seen one like this. It's bigger, has a slight curve to it, and the two outer pin channels are 'U' shaped while the inner two are round. What is this called so that I can buy one?

Failing that, what is the layout of the wiring coming out of the speaker side of the connector? All the wires leading into the speakers are black, while those on the sending side have the normal color coding. I would need to know this in order to wire in a new MOLEX on both sides.

I've poked around here and on the internets, and looked at the Pelican DIY and haven't been able to find this information.

Thanks in advance.
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote