Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

What are you doing during quarantine?

What are you doing during social distancing/quarantine?

Still working?
Working from home?
Laid off?
School?
School from home?
Robbing gas stations?
Working on the Boxster?
Or maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about?

Let us know what you're up to...

I have run my current company from home for over 3 years so its mostly business as usual for me, except all of my in-person meetings are now calls or video. We're a biotech company and everyone is in different cities (and across the country) so the distributed geographic model was the best way to go.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-25-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Aside from watching people act like hysterical idiots, business as usual (there is no “quarantine”).

That, and wondering how the moronic masses are going to handle next winter’s flu season.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-26-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Mig

Garage
Not working these days. I’m taking the opportunity to get things done around the house and making the best of it.

Finally got around to replacing both leaking radiators. So nice to have it done.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig View Post
Not working these days. I’m taking the opportunity to get things done around the house and making the best of it.

Finally got around to replacing both leaking radiators. So nice to have it done.
Putting the car on the roof seems to be a very nice trick to do that in an easy way.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #5
MYRX

Working harder than ever. I work for an essential company that makes the fiber in the wipes, masks, etc . that everyone is buying these days. We can't produce enough.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 AM   #6
Wannabe Racer

Quarantine makeover

I picked up a Spec Boxster in January, already had a logbook for PCA, but I wasn’t a fan of the Flying Squirrel livery. I just finished stripping off old vinyl and am 90% done with remaining residue from the old vinyl. New vinyl starts tomorrow. I did the numbers and some knifeless tape graphics on my last track car, but I haven’t wrapped a panel (yet).
1999 Spec Boxster (incoming)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:52 AM   #7

I provide TV service mostly for hotels and nursing homes, so I'm pretty much shut down. Unless there's a nursing home that loses TV service. Then I go in, because those poor people have nothing else.

The wife is a teacher and they pushed up their Spring Break to coincide with the shutdown. Next week she'll start teaching remotely.

For those that think this is overblown and people are acting "idiotic", I've never heard of doctors and nurses dying because they caught the flu off a patient. Have you? This is many times more contagious than the flu and at least 10 times deadlier, if not more. The scary part is how contagious this is and how it's spreading so rapidly that the hospitals can't handle all the influx. The flu is spreads slower and the hospitals can handle the number. Yes, the flu claims more lives by the numbers. But only because nobody takes the flu as seriously and millions in the US get the flu annually. If the same number of people got COVID as they do the flu, the deaths in the US would be over 300,000 instead of the 30,000 we have from the flu. That's why people are "acting like hysterical idiots". To suppress the numbers, and spread out the timeframe so the hospitals don't get inundated like what's happening in Italy. They literally have to choose who is left to die and who gets medical attention because they can't handle everyone at the same time.

The most disturbing part is the lack of leadership on the Federal level and how far behind the curve we are because the president first dismantled the epidemic response team that was formed during the Ebola scare and now claims he inherited "a mess". He had been calling it a hoax for 2 months, now we have to play catch-up. He calls Governor Cuomo out for declining respirators 5 years ago, yet after dismantling the epidemic response team 2 years ago, Trump now claims the office he inherited 3 years ago is "a mess." Phhftt!

Last edited by piper6909; 03-26-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Aside from watching people act like hysterical idiots, business as usual (there is no “quarantine”).

That, and wondering how the moronic masses are going to handle next winter’s flu season.

Hope you're the next case so you can give us your expert advise about it.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
The most disturbing part is the lack of leadership on the Federal level and how far behind the curve we are because the president called it a hoax for the first 2 months. Now we have to play catch-up.
Agreed, we're finding out they were told in early January that it was going to be bad.
Where's FDR when you need him (or any other competent person).
Old 03-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #10

Garage
Very well said piper 6909.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:26 AM   #11

Since I was "retired" by my company almost 4 yrs ago, my daily routine hasn't been upset too much. I work in my garage or learn stuff on the computer - mostly 928 info lately. I do miss the social interaction with our Porsche club. I've become my mom's grocery getter, as she's a healthy 87 and we want to keep her that way. Trying to figure out what exact product she lists and shopping in a different grocery store has been my biggest challenge, so I'm rather fortunate.

RPM, our local race track (and made famous by the video "Nemesis!!!") has been hanging on by a thread because of all the flooding last yr. We were certain it would flood again this yr because of mismanagement of the Missouri River flood control, but luckily RPM has remained dry. They were getting ready to implement a huge paving project where they would repave the paddock (it was a total mess from the floods) and putting a NASCAR sealer on the track. That came to a halt as the paving company can't work during the quarantine. We had to postpone our May 2-3 DE to late June. Poor RPM was flooded twice last yr and now that it's dry, still can't catch a break. Would be a shame to lose them.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:34 AM   #12
Racer Boy

I am still working, since my job is deemed "essential". I fix laboratory equipment, although it's in pathology labs so it isn't related to Covid 19. That said, people still have cancer. Normally I fly and travel a lot (at least one overnight trip with flights a week), but I've been staying local the past two weeks.

My wife works in a school, so she is kind of working at home (hard for a middle-school counselor to work remotely), as is her 21-year old son. He works for a video production company editing travel videos. Her 18-year old son is home from school, and since he is a senior, is getting depressed because it's likely that all the cool things for seniors (prom, graduation, being s senior on the varsity soccer team) aren't going to happen.

And our 7-year old cat is pretty happy, as he gets let in and out of the house 20 times a day now, and has the chance to sit on someone's lap all day.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
In my off time, mostly staying at home other than some short grocery trips and a trip to Lowes for some stuff to do around the house and yard. Still only a few cases of COVID19 in my area, so many people seem unconcerned and most businesses are open with some minor adjustments and cautions. A local park was full of kids yesterday, sharing their family's germs on the playground equipment with everyone else in the community.

I tried to put a new-to-me bra on the '04 SE this morning, but the fit seems too tight across the bottom. I think it's made for the 1997 - 2002 bumpers.

My job is transporting sick and injured people. Still pretty normal other than wearing at least a surgical mask around all patients. We have always worn N95 masks around infectious patients.
I avoid going into hospitals except as needed. No going to the cafeteria for lunch, or hitting the nurse's station for a cup of coffee.

My son closes on a house today. All of that seems to be going normally except I think that the sellers are going to do their part from another location. His wife is due to have my 7th grandchild in about 2 weeks. The hospital says only one visitor (my son) and once he leaves the hospital, he can't come back. He's planning to stay overnight.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-27-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

+1
Funny thing is - this supposed virus is on the television 24\7 with forecasts and pictures of death and doom. When I walk away from the TV and out of my house into nature it’s a whole different world. Birds chirping, trees blooming, families walking together with no regard for the mandated social distancing. In fact, it is two different worlds - nature is real and true, the other is not

Look outside your mainstream media IV feeds (aka - perception mgt.) and you might get a different perspective. Take responsibility and do some deep dive research into the testing procedures for this supposed virus. The hysteria is being driven off of false positives. If anything this is a mind virus as evidenced by the way people blindly believe that the so called experts have the public’s best interest at heart and willfully follow the so called experts edicts of social distancing and self quarantining.

We can see the programming of the masses has been successful in certain people when someone who offers up a dissenting opinion from the MSM meme is ridiculed and infection by the supposed virus is wished upon them. Sad indeed.

I encourage everyone to pay attention to the words that are used by so called leaders and experts. This supposed virus was originally called “novel”. Why use a word with a clear double entendre. “Novel” can mean something new or it can mean -
a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes. Why not use the word new or even the prefix “neo”.

Is there any common sense in killing a national economy for a supposed virus that has a death rate far lower than the annual flu? More lives will be destroyed by the purposeful shutting down of the economy than will ever be touched by this supposed virus.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #15

Garage
Business as usual here. Selling parts & maintaining my car

Old 03-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #16

Garage
I have been working from home(WFH) 2 days a week for years so now, my company has us all WFH. I love it since my move in Jan makes my commute 2 hrs each way. I work more now because I'm not driving 12 hrs/week for the 3 days I was in the office.
About ready to put a big order into Home improvement store so I can work on some home projects

Interesting that the Adventure Motorcycle forum I'm on, many riders are self quarantining them selves from deep wild woods riding so as not to possibly create and use up unnecessary medical attention and possibly any recovery resources that might be needed.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
Is there any common sense in killing a national economy for a supposed virus that has a death rate far lower than the annual flu?
What are you smoking? COVID's death rate is 10 times that of the regular flu.

What's dangerous is people pushing lies and disinformation. When a guy in AZ dies because he took this drug that Rump called a miracle cure. When a kid in KY contracted COVID at a "COVID Party" because he, like you, thinks it's all fake news. That's what's dangerous. I don't wish it upon anybody, but I'll call stupid is for what stupid does.

Pay attention, man! You're being lied to by Rump and his Rumpeteers.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I'm so glad that babbling Joe is not President and that Bernie has not destroyed the national healthcare system already. Politics should probably stay in the OT section.
Oh yeah, because " the virus is a hoax" Rump is doing such a great job! HAHA!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
+1
Funny thing is - this supposed virus is on the television 24\7 with forecasts and pictures of death and doom. When I walk away from the TV and out of my house into nature it’s a whole different world. Birds chirping, trees blooming, families walking together with no regard for the mandated social distancing. In fact, it is two different worlds - nature is real and true, the other is not

Look outside your mainstream media IV feeds (aka - perception mgt.) and you might get a different perspective. Take responsibility and do some deep dive research into the testing procedures for this supposed virus. The hysteria is being driven off of false positives. If anything this is a mind virus as evidenced by the way people blindly believe that the so called experts have the public’s best interest at heart and willfully follow the so called experts edicts of social distancing and self quarantining.

We can see the programming of the masses has been successful in certain people when someone who offers up a dissenting opinion from the MSM meme is ridiculed and infection by the supposed virus is wished upon them. Sad indeed.

I encourage everyone to pay attention to the words that are used by so called leaders and experts. This supposed virus was originally called “novel”. Why use a word with a clear double entendre. “Novel” can mean something new or it can mean -
a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes. Why not use the word new or even the prefix “neo”.

Is there any common sense in killing a national economy for a supposed virus that has a death rate far lower than the annual flu? More lives will be destroyed by the purposeful shutting down of the economy than will ever be touched by this supposed virus.
I find your narrative quite refreshing and aligning with sensibility.

What am I doing? Same thing for 14 years... working from a home office. Thus, I've the self isolation thing down. 4 dogs keep me company while my wife manages the office of the local orthopedic surgeon (which has seen many cancellations). My business has narrowed... but I expect it to BOOM! once we emerge from this fandemic.

Today will find me reinstalling the starter... weather permitting. Although not a cloud in the sky, It'll be a freezing 53 here. I don't do cold.

Wishing all of you safety and well being.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #20
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
What are you smoking? COVID's death rate is 10 times that of the regular flu.

What's dangerous is people pushing lies and disinformation. When a guy in AZ dies because he took this drug that Rump called a miracle cure. When a kid in KY contracted COVID at a "COVID Party" because he, like you, thinks it's all fake news. That's what's dangerous. I don't wish it upon anybody, but I'll call stupid is for what stupid does.

Pay attention, man! You're being lied to by Rump and his Rumpeteers.

Piper, you're spreading some misinformation too, here. You know the guy in AZ died because he self-medicated with a form of Chloroquine phosphate intended for Fish Tank cleaning... not a pharmaceutical-grade, and not monitored by a healthcare professional.

And Trump never called the virus a Hoax, he likened the media's linking of the virus to his administration, to their impeachment-efforts over Russia, and referred to it as "their new hoax". Even the lefts favorite fact-checker (Snopes) will confirm that Trump didn't call the virus a hoax.

Once again, we find that the extreme fringes of perspective don't help with anything but dividing us.

It's not fake. It's not a hoax. I know two people personally who have contracted the virus. One of them, the symptoms are extreme and we're quite concerned for
her survival. She was already unhealthy, with underlying chronic illness. The other is a virile, healthy male in his mid '20's. He wishes he didn't have it... it's miserable, but he'll be just fine when it passes. He contracted it from someone who kept saying it was all fake, and came to work with the sniffles.

Covidiots are real. Those who insist on pretending this isn't serious are setting-at-naught all of the sacrifice the rest of us are making, including all of our investments and many people's jobs. It's pretty arrogant and narcissistic to think that your own belief that none of this is real is somehow more valid than the Millions we've all lost in our investments.

In the same breath; those of you who WANT TO CONTINUE with the economic freeze should ask yourselves what your real interests are? IS this political to you? I think for most of you it is. Because the truth is that there will be many more suicides, heart-attacks, homicides, strokes, etc, if we continue plunging our economy into unknown depths. In the county I live in, domestic violence calls to the P.D. have increased by 35% in the last 7 days.

Choosing between lives and the economy is a false-narrative; a strawman. That is not the choice..... As with EVERYTHING in life: the facts must be weighed against the risk of the unknown. We can extrapolate (and extemporate) until we're blue in the face, but we MUST get the economy moving again as quickly as we can, or the loss of life will be much more extreme than you will admit from your politically-motivated frame of reference.
When will that be? I don't know. the best words of wisdom I've heard so far is "we don't choose the timeline, the virus does". We'll need to see where we're at in a week. In Utah, we appear to be seeing the back-side of the infection bell-curve already. In other places, not so much.

What I DO know? Trump's Damned-if-he-do and Damned-if-he-don't. This morning I heard a pundit rolling trump under the bus for wanting to get the economy back on track quickly, and in the same breath, backing the bus over him because of the number of unemployment claims. BOTH are his fault? c'mon people. I don't like the guy.... but let's be reasonable here.
Quit trying to divide the country with political spin and talking points.
Quit pretending this pandemic is some sort of conspiracy.
Neither are helpful.

Last edited by maytag; 03-26-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Closed Thread