Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
... Once again, we find that the extreme fringes of perspective don't help with anything but dividing us. It's not fake. It's not a hoax.

... {deleted for brevity, not content} ...

Quit trying to divide the country with political spin and talking points.
Quit pretending this pandemic is some sort of conspiracy.
Neither are helpful.
All in all, probably one of Maytag's best posts.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #22
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
All in all, probably one of Maytag's best posts.
+1
Old 03-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #23

At work. Essential service contracts to finish for the aluminum industry and transformer companies.
Paid leave when not needed.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #24

Once again, Maytag, I find myself very much in agreement with you.

I will add, the man's wife in AZ said that they took the Chloroquine BECAUSE they heard Rump talking it up. They chose to believe Rump over a doctor, who was putting the brakes on what he said during the same press conference. Whether he called the virus itself or the reaction to it a hoax, a lot of people have conflated the two. A lot of people, including some on here, believe the virus itself is an overblown hoax. This comes from the top down. This is what happens in a culture of anti-science. This is why a leader must be careful with their words.

Is it political to me? I guess so. It is by default, and someone who tells you differently is lying to you. Because it is our politicians who make things happen, or not make them happen. It all boils down to politics, from the taxes we pay to the stop sign that's at the street corner, to how crises are handled.

The reality is that there is no simple and no pleasant solution. The problem is that a lot of the tools in our economical toolbox had been already squandered before this crisis. The top end tax cuts that resulted in the biggest deficit in in our nation's history, and the arbitrary lowering of interest rates to near zero, all while we were already in good economic times. Now we don't have those tools and we're pretty much crippled during hard times when we really need them.

And it's a false dichotomy to say that we can either save lives or save the economy. The fact is, that if this virus is not controlled, you'll have no commerce, no matter how much you try to keep industries open. You'll still have people out of work, but then you'll have more sick people in addition.

I hope the ones you mentioned recover fully and quickly. And I hope you, and everyone on here stay safe.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-26-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #25
1998 Boxster Owner

1. Working from home

2. Kids started school from home this week (my poor wife)

3. Wife is a hairdresser so not working during lockdown

4. Semi-restoring a vintage RC Buggy when ever I get time (Kyosho Optima Mid) replaced all of the gears, cleaned/oiled bearings, now putting it all back together

5. Miss driving my Boxster :ah:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #26

Jeez you guys, knock it off - you all sound like a bunch of knuckleheads - on both sides.

I'm thinking about changing oil to a different brand and weight and getting some new tires. Anybody have some ideas for me?

Let's talk about that.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #27

Greetings from Ireland and not full lockdown but not far off.

Plan to torture myself with some nicely rusted manifold bolts. Somewhere in its previous life someone sheared one so I've put it off long enough. Place your bets not as to how many more are busted before this job is done. Will also do water pump and stat while I'm at it.

Shiny bits and not so shiny.

Older but not any wiser!
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Old 03-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #28
Certified Boxster Addict

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #30
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is some more news in my little corner of the world...

My oldest son is graduating from USC Keck Medical School in May and has accepted a position as a Resident in Emergency Medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospitals in Manhattan (there are two teaching hospitals, NYPH Columbia in Washington Heights and NYPH Weir Cornell in the Upper East Side). He starts June 16. ER residents spend most of their time treating patients under the supervision of Senior Residents and/or the Attending Physician.

Depending how the virus progresses in NY, he might be jumping straight into the fire!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-26-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
...When I walk away from the TV and out of my house into nature it’s a whole different world. Birds chirping, trees blooming, families walking together with no regard for the mandated social distancing. In fact, it is two different worlds - nature is real and true, the other is not
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Disregard the doctors and the scientists. Don't believe the experts, they're not real, nature is! Are you F-in kidding me??

Dude, I have news for you: Trees are not effected by COVID-19. Neither are dogs, for that matter.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
+1
Funny thing is - this supposed virus is on the television 24\7 with forecasts and pictures of death and doom. When I walk away from the TV and out of my house into nature it’s a whole different world. Birds chirping, trees blooming, families walking together with no regard for the mandated social distancing. In fact, it is two different worlds - nature is real and true, the other is not

Look outside your mainstream media IV feeds (aka - perception mgt.) and you might get a different perspective. Take responsibility and do some deep dive research into the testing procedures for this supposed virus. The hysteria is being driven off of false positives. If anything this is a mind virus as evidenced by the way people blindly believe that the so called experts have the public’s best interest at heart and willfully follow the so called experts edicts of social distancing and self quarantining.

We can see the programming of the masses has been successful in certain people when someone who offers up a dissenting opinion from the MSM meme is ridiculed and infection by the supposed virus is wished upon them. Sad indeed.

I encourage everyone to pay attention to the words that are used by so called leaders and experts. This supposed virus was originally called “novel”. Why use a word with a clear double entendre. “Novel” can mean something new or it can mean -
a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes. Why not use the word new or even the prefix “neo”.

Is there any common sense in killing a national economy for a supposed virus that has a death rate far lower than the annual flu? More lives will be destroyed by the purposeful shutting down of the economy than will ever be touched by this supposed virus.
The use of the word “novel” in this context is a term of art, used to convey the fact that a virus is one to which we, as a species, have no immunity. It—the word and the concept—weren’t just created in response to this particular virus which, btw, in point of fact is a respiratory virus, not a ‘mind virus.’ People testing positive, developing dire respiratory symptoms and, in some cases, dying in frighteningly large numbers kind of argues against the notion of “false positives.” You really think what’s happening in NY and Louisiana is made up?? And while I don’t know for sure, I think probably what particlewave was probably referring to was likely less profound than whether or not Covid-19 was truly serious (or “overblown”). I think he probably more had in mind the kinds of ridiculous behavior that, for example, makes it damn near impossible to buy a 9-pack of toilet paper these days. If I err in this interpretation I’m sure he’ll set me straight..
Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #33

Just finished the first mowe of the year. spent the last two weeks on the road moving medical equipment supplies from central Ohio down to Midway, Florida. Do I think this thing is way overblown, Yes. But I also do believe that it has to be taken serious and steps need to be taken to protect the health of the elderly and young. But tanking the economy is not the way. Not sure if having half the US locked up at home is the answer but with all the Internet experts, what really is the right things to do. I think PRESIDENT TRUMP is doing the best he can with the cards he's been delt. IF everyone of our representatives was more worried of dealing with this instead of what they can get ( money, prestige, poke the president in the eye, etc) we would be farther along than we are.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #34

Also, Maytag,
Very well said.

Shoe
Old 03-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK Shoe View Post
...I think PRESIDENT TRUMP is doing the best he can with the cards he's been delt...
Resident Rump disbanded the epidemic response team that was put together during the Ebola crisis even though he was warned by the outgoing administration specifically about potential pandemics and has spent the first two months of this crisis calling this whole thing hoax. Between calling it a hoax for 2 months and the brain drain we suffered for the team he disbanded, we are in far worse shape than we would have been.

What exactly has he done to make you think he's doing a good job?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #36

Piper, I would spend some time looking things up and linking them here, BUT you will disregard it, call the president names, and be rather insulting. So, I won't waste my time, and since I have no regard for your opinion or political hatchet job, I'll just save my energy responding to other forum member whose opinion I respect.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #37

I agree that Maytag's reply was one of his better ones. I also have to agree that both sides are way off base in their "opinions". As of March 25th there have been a total of 22,030 deaths world wide from the COVID-19 virus (1,046 in the US) compared to 291,000 deaths from the flu world wide (2019 data). I don't think COVID-19 has a chance of catching up to the influenza death rate or at least I certainly hope not. Now, that's not to say this thing is not nasty. It is and it's unpredictable as to the extent of damage it can cause in an individual. We still need to be very very careful.

Now, on to the important stuff. I cracked my window this winter so I've been driving around with the old duck tape (love that stuff) fix. As spring arrives I need to get it into a shop for a replacement. Not too shabby for a 20 year old piece of plastic though!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK Shoe View Post
Piper, I would spend some time looking things up and linking them here, BUT you will disregard it, call the president names, and be rather insulting. So, I won't waste my time, and since I have no regard for your opinion or political hatchet job, I'll just save my energy responding to other forum member whose opinion I respect.
I call Rump names because he calls people names every day. Worse, he lies every day and people are dying as a direct result. And I've shown examples of it.

I respect facts. Show me facts and I'll respond accordingly. I don't think you have anything to show, otherwise you wouldn't have wasted time typing your non-response reply. And if you have to take time to look up what he's done to mitigate this problem, that says a lot.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #39

Confined to quarters and installing the Stone Rally Sport Shifter handle of course!

Old 03-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
... As of March 25th there have been a total of 22,030 deaths world wide from the COVID-19 virus (1,046 in the US) compared to 291,000 deaths from the flu world wide (2019 data). ..
There were between 38,000,000 and 42,000,000 cases of the flu, and between 23,000 and 59,000 deaths in the US alone.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

That's a death rate between 0.06% and 0.14%

Conversely, there are currently 68,440 cases of COVID-19 and 994 deaths in the US. (this is already out of date, but it's good enough for this conversation and it doesn't change the death rate.)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

That's a death rate of 1.45% These are not estimates, these are real numbers. That's over 10 times the worst-case death rate estimate of the flu.

Imagine now if we allowed COVID-19 to infect the same amount of people that got the flu. At 1.45%, that would be between 551,000 to 609,000 dead people in the US alone.

This is why some of us take it seriously.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-27-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Closed Thread