Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #1

Boxter VS 911

So I have read (almost) everything that I should know about the boxster's before I started to test drive them,

I found a 2004 that seems good (car was serviced at the same shop where I want to maintain the car I will buy,
and owner also did a ppi to the car there before he started selling the car.

While looking for boxsters I also came across a 2002 911 Carrera 4s convertible (996.2) which seems in good condition, owner kept all maintenance invoices.

haven't done a ppi to that one yet.

the 2004 Boxster has 60K miles and the 2002 911 has 110K miles.

I can get them in a very similar price, so am a little confused and would like to ask folks here
who might have owned both to share some of their experience or life wisdom about these.

Thanks !!!

Last edited by ordude; 03-10-2020 at 06:46 PM.
ordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

You haven't read that the car is a BoxSter, not boxter!

The two cars you are looking at are quite different to drive. I'd check out each and then decide which you'd like to consider.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #3

You should check out the Porsche Portmanteau (boxer + roadster).

RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
RobT987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Although I have not owned an all wheel drive Porsche (2018 Macan notwithstanding), it is my understanding that the 4S system can be pricey/difficult to repair if it starts acting up. The standard mantra is buy the newest/best maintained/lowest mileage vehicle you can after a proper PPI. Bring the maintenance up to date and go enjoy a twisty road.

I think the 50K extra mileage on the 911, makes this a 'no brainer'. Given that this is a Boxster forum, buy the Boxster. Safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I have not owned both but have spent significant seat time in both. Different tools for different tasks. The Boxster is nimble, tossable, giggles to drive in the canyons and curves. The C4S has a bigger motor, is heavier, and more comfortable for long drives and highway use. If you live in winter ice and snow, the C4S will be a pleasure after mounting snow tires.

All weather, grand touring rather than canyon carving, want a rear seat for small kids? Get the C4S

All around fun, great in the canyons, joyride for grins? Get the Boxster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordude View Post
So I have read (almost) everything that I should know about the boxster's before I started to test drive them,

I found a 2004 that seems good (car was serviced at the same shop where I want to maintain the car I will buy,

While looking for boxsters I also came across a 2002 911 Carrera 4s convertible (996.2) which seems in good condition, owner kept all maintenance invoices.

I can get them in a very similar price, so am a little confused and would like to ask folks here
who might have owned both to share some of their experience or life wisdom about these.

Thanks !!!
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:

Thanks !!!
I've driven both, and I think there are two possible reasons you might want the 911 over the boxster.

1) you've always wanted a 911. I can't relate to this, but I presume it's a real thing, because I've heard people say this. But if this were you, I'm not sure why you've been looking for a boxster?

2) you care what other people think about which car you buy. You'll undoubtedly hear from the 911 crowd that the boxster is a hairdresser's car (oddly they still say this after a boxster goes aground them at the racetrack). You'll hear people say, with disappointment in their voice "oh, just a boxster". These are people more interested in the "status" of a car, than how it drives.

If, however, what interests you is the thrill of a mid-engined boxer-motor'ed cabrio at full honk through a corner.... well.... then there's no real consideration any longer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:38 AM   #7

Thank you for your comments guys.

I am actually more interested in the Boxster’s driving experience,
And no, I don’t care what other people are going to say
I like the smaller size of the Boxster.

The reason I’m considering the 911 is because its automatic, and the Boxster is manual.
I will use the car to daily commute, and in a busy highway stick shift
Is not a treat, I am worried that this will spoil my enjoyment from the Boxster.

I particularly tested the Boxster in both busy and non busy hours,
Enjoyed every minute of it shifting gears in non busy, but was cursing in the busy hours

Oh, and yes, the guy who owned the 911 has some pretty scary bills, fixing the roof more than 4K
Old 03-11-2020, 04:44 AM   #8

Driving a manual in Austin traffic sucks but driving a manual through the hill country is wonderful.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #9

I've owned some air-cooled 911's, and currently own a '98 Boxster. I can attest to the fact that it's a fun car to drive, very well balanced, and certainly "quick" enough to put a smile on your face. Mine is the ultimate hair-dresser's car, as it's Ocean Jade Metallic, but I've had other Porsche owners track me down just to see it close-up, as it's pretty uncommon. My wife was actually pulled over by a police officer so he could give it a closer look (not sure if it was my wife, the car, or both)!

I did look at an '03 Carrera that a friend recommended, as it was a rare color, original owner, and low miles. I don't recall the exact color (some hue of blue), but it's definitely a different car. Noticeably quicker than my Boxster by a wide margin, but I don't know that it was as fun to drive overall. I guess the underlying theme is that I still have the Boxster.

Now, given the opportunity to buy a 996 Turbo, I might be in a tough situation!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Driving a manual in Austin traffic sucks but driving a manual through the hill country is wonderful.
Which is one of the reasons the PDK is so popular.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #11

itsnotanova - you're spot on, I deliberately drove on 183 and mopac in traffic
and did not enjoy it.

I'm leaning towards a boxster, only its hard to find an automatic one here (so far)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #12

I would get a Boxster S to compensate for the Auto,Depending on budget a 09' PDK would be sweet,..even a 04' Tip Iam sure is nice,..after I payoff my currant 02 5 spd my next one will be a auto..for when Iam 80...LOL
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
itsnotanova - you're spot on, I deliberately drove on 183 and mopac in traffic
and did not enjoy it.

I'm leaning towards a boxster, only its hard to find an automatic one here (so far)
You are on the right track, I have driven every 2000-2003 Porsche & I would not buy anything AWD unless I needed the extra traction & weight.

FYI the Tiptronic lowers H.P. & MPG about 10% but they are very reliable.
You will be glad you bought a Boxster S with the Tiptronic
Old 03-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #14

Thats the first

I've ever seen of the claim of the TIP impacting HP. Performance, yes. A little bit.

I owned a 2.5 '00 and an 3.2 '01S both TIPs. I prefer the later TIP just because you can immediately paddle/button shift manually without touching the shift lever. But the 201 HP '00 was the more fun because you could drive it harder before you got into legal trouble.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #15
1999 base

Garage
As owner of both, it is hard to say which is “better”.
I personally prefer the 911 as a daily driver, as i can move back the seat, and it has the extra 60-70 hp.
The Boxster on the other hand is more fun to drive.
Don’t know about the all wheel drive issue, as my 911 is a C2.
Both cars are stick.
As for maintenance, I did almost everything the same on both cars, even though the Boxster is at 100k and the 911 at 50. They ate both around 20 years old, and some components just go bad with age.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

I have owned both 986 and 996 (and drive an air cooled 911 as my daily driver).

The Boxster is a true sports car. Its quick, nimble, and super fun to drive. I loved taking the Boxster to the mountains and the track.

The 996 911 is bigger, faster, and quieter. I loved commuting in my 996 (comfort) and going for long fast drives.

Drive both. Only you can decide which model speaks to you more.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Ordude, you may want to enlarge your search to Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston as these are larger cities than Austin and only about 3-4hr drive..
Good luck on your search!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #18

Garage
As another guy who owns both I'll echo the above comments. Both great cars, but different. Only a decent amount of seat time will tell you which one is better for you.
1971 BMW R75/5
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #19

appreciate all the help guys, I decided to stay with the boxster,
unfortunately the one I was interested in requires almost $6K of repairs
and the owner won't budge, so I keep looking.

Actually found one in fair condition and wanted to ask
a couple questions about it, prefer answers from owners and not just from
mechanics, but I'll do it in a different thread.

Thank you again for the great help !!!
Old 03-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I've ever seen of the claim of the TIP impacting HP. Performance, yes. A little bit.

I owned a 2.5 '00 and an 3.2 '01S both TIPs. I prefer the later TIP just because you can immediately paddle/button shift manually without touching the shift lever. But the 201 HP '00 was the more fun because you could drive it harder before you got into legal trouble.
That's the 1st I've ever seen of a '00 with 2.5.