Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #1

IMS question!!

I am a young amature mechanic, i own a 2000 porsche boxster 2.7. I used the set screw method (i know, i know) to get to the point where i have my dual row ims bearing exposed with the center bolt knocked out.

We have attempted removing the ims to absolutely no success, having tried everything and begining to worry about damaging other things, would pulling the center bolt back through the bearing and putting the flange back on be a bad idea? I was going to pull it being this far but im realising now i shouldve never touched it after noticing it was the dual row.

Im thinking as long as we put some oil that was lost when removing the flange back in and also knowing nothing has been changed or damaged to the bearing it SHOULD be ok. on the other hand i know at this point there is a chance all ive done is increase the odds of a possible future failure.

rbayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

I have no idea what the "set screw method" is. But if you've pulled on the center of the bearing, then you've stressed the races, and yes, you've absolutely increased the chance of failure.
Change it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 02-15-2020 at 08:29 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

Maytag is correct; once you have stressed the bearing by trying to pull it, it has to come out and be replaced. Doing otherwise is courting disaster.

If you used the idiot set screw method, I would bet you do not have the engine at TDC with the cams locked, which means that the shaft is now off center in the flange opening, which puts you in a very bad situation because it is now very difficult to get the engine into the correct rotational position to remove the bearing.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 02-15-2020 at 09:08 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

no doubt ive put myself in a sticky situation. i had the engine in TDC but the top allen screw didn't line up and i had the choice of removing the pin and continuing the set screw method or something else. you can imagine i was dumb enough to continue. if i turn the engine with the flange off is this bad? the shaft is off center from the flange, as you can imagine the tensioners are still in effect.

Edit: I have NOT turned the engine as i have determined that would be bad. i tightened the center bolt back on and have put the flange back re-aligning it all without turning anything. I think im going to go back to TDC and lock the cams from there and pull the flange back off and do the ims change. From there im just curious how i would check the timing, would i just rotate the engine 360 degrees and make sure the exhaust cams are vertical and stright?

Last edited by rbayer; 02-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

I broke two of the pullers shown in the Burner video on my dual row IMS bearing, and ended up spending the $200 for the IMS tools. If you watch on e-bay, the tools show up. Where are you located?

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #6

Garage
You can use a blind hole bearing puller, worked well for me. It has to be perfectly centered and it should come out.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post
I broke two of the pullers shown in the Burner video on my dual row IMS bearing, and ended up spending the $200 for the IMS tools. If you watch on e-bay, the tools show up. Where are you located?

-Eric
I am in North Houston. weve broken a 3 tooth bearing puller the first time. got it to the point the IMS is ready to come out the right way. weve actually been watching that exact video line up. im going to try with said bearing puller bc weve already rented it but will also keep yalls suggestions in mind. thank yall for yalls feedback, was really worried for a bit i shot myself in the foot. did a full rotation when putting the car in TDC and the cams lined up, so i think timing is still o.k.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #8

so i went back and put the car in TDC, cams are locked, tensioners are off, took the flange off but the IMS is still stuck, have tried and broken a 3 tooth/arm bearing puller, and one from the burner cars video.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #9

Garage
So what happened to your center bolt?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #10

we knocked it into the shaft to try and use the bearing pullers to get the bearing out. the center bolt hasnt broken and we could try pulling it from there but weve put a LOT of force on this bearing and it hasnt come out. we dont see how that center bolt wont just snap.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #11

Garage
It`s easy to pull the center bolt back to its original position using a telescopic magnet. If you do that, then you can use the extractor that uses the center bolt, if it snaps, you still have the blind hole bearing puller option. If you pull it out using the center bolt, I wouldn`t reuse the center bolt afterwards. If you use a blind hole bearing puller, the center bolt is reusable. For the blind hole puller probably you will need a spacer that sits perfectly onto the shaft and fits into the hole on the crankcase, that ensures that the pulling force will be centered.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Ah yes... I remember when Burner was replacing his IMS bearing:
WTB IMS Center Bolt Dual Row

It can and has been done other ways and with cheap homemade tools, but the only reliable safe way to do it is with one of Jake Raby's tools. I was lucky to survive my first try with set-screws back when Jake was still taking time to post on the forum.

rbayer, there are some people on the forum that loan or rent the tools. Tom Stone did and may still have it available, or Post a "Want to Rent/Borrow" thread.
For Rent: IMS Installation Tool Set