986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New ride? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7703-new-ride.html)

ohioboxster 10-10-2006 01:34 PM

New ride?

I was at my friends place today and he offered to give me a deal on this 911 Targa. It has 25k miles, fabspeed exhaust, lowered and new wheels with freash rubber.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17.../911targa2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...6/911targa.jpg

Will let you know tomorrow, I didnt want to impulse buy it today. I know I can get better money for the Box outright selling it myself. He has to make money on it which I understand.

bmussatti 10-10-2006 01:39 PM

But you just did the Supercharger! I bet all of your cuts & bruises have not healed 100% yet! :)

I think the Targa is pretty cool! Look at the new ones on www.porsche.com.

ohioboxster 10-10-2006 01:42 PM

I know but isnt it just beautiful?

boggtown 10-10-2006 01:43 PM

Whats the deal though?

blkboxster 10-10-2006 01:46 PM

Very nice ride. if the price is right do it :) :)

bmussatti 10-10-2006 01:53 PM

The Targa Top is very cool:

bmussatti 10-10-2006 01:54 PM

From the back:

Perfectlap 10-10-2006 01:58 PM

I never understood why they still call this a targa top. It's a just a big sun roof.
The top would have to actually come off to be a true targa.
If you are going to go the coupe route for a Pcar in Ohio, get the C4.
C4S Cab would be my choice, great resale on those.

blue2000s 10-10-2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I never understood why they still call this a targa top. It's a just a big sun roof.
The top would have to actually come off to be a true targa.
If you are going to go the coupe route for a Pcar in Ohio, get the C4.
C4S Cab would be my choice, great resale on those.

Porsche invented the use of the name so I suppose they can use it however they want.

from answers.com: "The word targa first came into use from the 1966 Porsche 911 Targa, though the first production car with this system as an option was actually released five years before, namely the 1961 Triumph TR4. The name was first adopted by Porsche after the Targa Florio road race in which they entered, used type of body style to allow a quicker entry and exit to the car by drivers in 1962 and many race cars adopted it especially Ford and its bitter rival at the time, Ferrari in the '60s and early 70's for twistier road courses."

CJ_Boxster 10-10-2006 02:23 PM

I LOVE the targa, i also like how it appears the car was originally a convertible a hard top was installed...Looks Great!...more edginess from the sides.

ohioboxster 10-10-2006 02:46 PM

Plus "Targa" sounds better than Porsche "Big Sun Roof Car"

AUDIOGUY 10-10-2006 03:57 PM

I always loved the Targa. If the price is right, then you have to get her!
The dealership I work for traded in a 2001 Carrera with 40k miles , one owner, 6 speed, full leather, psm, sport pack with 18 inch wheels and rocker moldings, xenon
and sunroof.... I can get her for about 37k... I was thinking about it!

keep us posted!

RandallNeighbour 10-10-2006 04:28 PM

Ohioboxster, now look here. I bought an airline ticket and a rent car and have planned an extra day to come up and see and ride in your SC'd Boxster!

Please don't haul off and get rid of it before I get a chance to ride in it with you!

But if you do, I completely understand and a ride in the Targa will be fine. But I will not smile as big as I would in a SC'd Boxster because that's within my grasp and a Targa isn't! :cheers:

Grizzly 10-10-2006 04:50 PM

Wow Ohio, that is really gorgeous. I'd probably have to do it...

racer_troy 10-10-2006 07:11 PM

mmm...going to the dark side???

Ohio,

don't know you from dirt...but just going to weigh in here where it's likely not my business...but from what the word is...
1. boxster = porsche's driver's car
2. targa's get loud and have lower resale
3. it is beautiful...especially the rims and i imagine the sound

just do this...make sure you drive it...i've a 986 with M030 suspension and it is absolutely wonderful...very well balanced and although on turn in you can induce understeer if you are abrupt, it's nothing that you can't immediately correct with throttle inputs...the targa is a different animal...will handle a bit back heavy...more of a hand full...but not necessarily less fun...maybe more? it's all about what you want...i just love to drive...so i love the drivers car...

in the end...if the deal's a deal...then you've only one choice....

good luck...

Cheers,

--troy

z12358 10-11-2006 04:06 AM

Don't let the shiny paint, nice wheels, lowered susp, and the exhaust lure you into it. Just try to look past those (they can be added onto any other car) and think with your head. And then, after you drive it, it passes PPI, the deal is really good, and you know for a fact that you indeed want a butt-heavy 911 instead of your Box then just buy it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Just my $.02

Z.

BuffaloBoxster 10-11-2006 06:44 AM

Actually the last time I was looking it seemed to me that the targas held their value pretty well.

If I was going to buy a 911 I'd probably get one of those. I love the new-style targas.

MikenOH 10-11-2006 06:54 AM

OH Box

pretty car; have you had a chance to drive the car on the road? wondered how the fabspeed would sound after listening to it on the highway for 30 minutes.

I'd suggest a PPI (prepurchase inspection) done by Freddy Bakers or Kempthorn's just as way of making sure you're getting. Since it's a friend, I'd guess he could give you the car history to ensure it hasn't been in an accident or flood.

ohioboxster 10-11-2006 07:56 AM

This car in paticular I know he bought from an auction because I was with him when he paid for it. There are several factors that I still have to consider and it really would come down to how much the Boxster will bring. I've decided not to rush into anything at this point. Im going to wait till my new MAF gets here, admit defeat and drop it off at a repair shop. I can install the MAF but as soon as its plugged in I want the car on a scanner to find out what the sensors are doing. Is there a leak, 02s are working proper, fuel issue etc etc. My whole therory is to never pay anyone to do anything you can do yourself. Either the MAF was faulty or the SC is causing them to die.

Boxter 10-11-2006 12:20 PM

If you are able to get what you need for the Box and you can swing the Targa go for it...even though you won't be able to live life with the top down you still will be able to live life with the top open! :D