Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #1

I bought a Honda S2000~

Hello ya'll..

I havn't posted in a while... but about 2 years ago, I was looking to buy a Boxster... but made the horrible mistake of trying to save up for a house in Southern California... Needless to say, that didn't happen seeing as how the median price is floating around $700K.... gah! not too easy for a single income guy :S...

Anywho... my company moved me to Seoul, Korea... and this time I'm on a expat package... which makes things a bit easier..

SO~ with that being said, I was looking to buy a roadster (plz no flames on driving a sports car in Korea~ especially if you havn't been to Seoul in the past 5 years)...

As many of you might know, Korea has a 100% duty on all foreign cars.. so a Boxster nears almost $100K.. and it sure as heck does not depreciate.. a 99 still goes for about 40K here... so I was looking for other options... and decided to try and buy a S2000 right hand drive (gray market from Japan)... they run about 20K... but luck had it, that I was able to buy a 2001 left hander for a VERY good price.. for some reason left handers are very rare here.. Honda does not officially import the S2000

Now... I wanted to buy the Boxster, but I had to take into consideration a few things..
1. obviously the price
2. reliability (not easy trying to repair your boxster in Korea)
3. availability (not too many used boxsters to choose from here)

So now to get to the point of this post... i must admit that I was a HUGE Boxster fan... loved the car.. and every other roadster seemed like a poser-mobile... I especially detested the S2000 because it looked bland, hated the 'ricer' image, and it wasn't a Porsche...

But having owned the car for a few months now, I must admit the S2000 is a GREAT car...
1. I think it has the best gear box I've ever driven.. hands down...
2. the 9000 rpm might be annoying, but its what makes the car so cool in my opinion.. when the vtec kicks in.. it just howls.. the new US 8000rpm versions are just not the same...
3. SO freakin reliable
4. parts are super cheap (even in Korea)
5. handles great
6. looks okay with some mods
7. ricer image doesn't apply to me in korea,, cause everyone here is Rice in some way

So in a year or 2 my company might either move me back to California or maybe Tokyo... and I must admit... I might go back to buying an S2000... especially in Tokyo... California... i'll buy the Boxster...

Just wanted to give my 2 cents~!~~~

PS ... my photo

Oh.. the carbon fiber hood was not my idea.. it came like that... been trying to look for another yellow hood.. but no luck...

Last edited by jonomo; 10-09-2006 at 08:03 PM.
jonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

I was stationed in Korea last year...I can't believe anyone would drive anything other than a tank in Seoul. I was in 3 accidents in Seoul in 6 months...and I was on a BUS! None of this will matter anyway since Kim Jung Il will be vaporizing it soon.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I was stationed in Korea last year...I can't believe anyone would drive anything other than a tank in Seoul. I was in 3 accidents in Seoul in 6 months...and I was on a BUS! None of this will matter anyway since Kim Jung Il will be vaporizing it soon.
surprisingly you get use to it... its like playing Grand Theft Auto...

Try driving in Shanghai or Manilla.. now that's a different story... its like being a victim in Grand Theft Auto....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #4

I was in a cab in Beijing...not too bad.

Cab in Bangkok was a nightmare...we used to get drunk, tell the cabby we were in a hurry and tell him we would give him double if he would get us there in a ridiculously short amount of time. What a hoot!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #5

I thought the fact that you blacked out your plate was hilarious.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
I thought the fact that you blacked out your plate was hilarious.
Everyone seems to do it.. so what the heck.. hehe

Luv your sig gif with the robber.. great stuff~!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #7

I have a new-found respect for the S2000. I was out exercising my Mustang GT this weekend. Lined up next to an S2000, and he walked away from me like I had missed a shift. Very humbling experience.

Nice car. Did you get the Nuke-Proof Package, I hope?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I have a new-found respect for the S2000. I was out exercising my Mustang GT this weekend. Lined up next to an S2000, and he walked away from me like I had missed a shift. Very humbling experience.

ha... that reminds me I should carry around my passport with me.. if Bush decides to attack yet another country.. i'll just jump in my car and head south with my passport in my pocket!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #9

I like S2000's. If I was looking to spend 30k on a new sports car the S2k is the hands down winner in my book.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #10

I think its a beautiful car too. I looked at a silver one prior to my Boxster the only thing that stopped me from buying it was te cockpit. I can hardly fit in it width wise, I felt kind of smashed. Im much larger than the average Asian population. Nice car, I bet it provides trouble free driving for years to come.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly

subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #12

I dig the S2000s. That is the car that eventually led me to my Boxster. I'll get one sometime..... they are probably the best bang for the buck roadster out there!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #13

just roadster?
S2000 is the best bang for the buck sports car period.

But going on six years now its due for an overhaul in exterior design.

I Would love to see something ground breaking for a japanese car
something more European-like but new in a way that would make the Euros
look outdated and the Japanese their usual run of the mill (begging for mods which gave birth to the whole import tuner phenom).

I think its safe to say that the Italian exotics are the most coveted sports cars and
something along the lines of a Lambo or Ferrari in exterior/interior design but with Japanese engineering/reliability would be sports car nirvana.
Really no one at the momment has achieved that. That's what I would be striving for if I were in a position to make such calls.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #14

"...something along the lines of a Lambo or Ferrari in exterior/interior design but with Japanese engineering/reliability would be sports car nirvana."

Seems to me Honda tried it with the NSX, a very Ferrari-esque piece. Turned out nobody cared, or at least not enough folks to make it anything but a curiosity.
You can take a Ferrari out of Italy, but you can't take Italy out of a Ferrari and transplant it into a ricer, or so it would seem.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #15

The 1st NSX is probably the best example of a well engineered car that looked like a $25,000 commuter car. and thanks to the v-tec cruised around like one too. That car was one of the last projects of the late Ayrton Senna, so technically speaking its a piece of history. I think there is a youtube of him talking about it after a testing session.
Now the new NSX is an improvement in both departments but who the heck in sports car world (luxury sedan world seems to be a dif. story) is going to pony up that kind of dough for a Honda when they can buy a Porsche or other German make?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
"...something along the lines of a Lambo or Ferrari in exterior/interior design but with Japanese engineering/reliability would be sports car nirvana."

Seems to me Honda tried it with the NSX, a very Ferrari-esque piece. Turned out nobody cared, or at least not enough folks to make it anything but a curiosity.
You can take a Ferrari out of Italy, but you can't take Italy out of a Ferrari and transplant it into a ricer, or so it would seem.

Hi,

Well Honda was ill-advised to make the car resemble a Civic from the 'B' Pillar forward, for a supposed Supercar, I think that killed them. Another thing, I have a friend with a '96 which I've driven and frankly they're a little boring to drive...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #17

Found it. This would have taken forever before YouTube.
This gives me the chills.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ehe92vPt2qU&mode=related&search=

edit: better video quality here^

p.s.
I'm sure allot of the 1st gen NSX went into the S2000.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-20-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #18

I like the S2000. I think the only complaint is the high rpm's. Ironically it is also the high rpm's that are what's so cool about it and make it a fun track car. It looks great and is bulletproof. No RMS issues either. But the Porsche is a better daily driver for me.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #19

There are a number of sports cars that, had they been built by one of the boutique manufacturers (Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, etc.) instead of a major manufacturer, would be more highly thought-of by the enthusiast public. The NSX is one, the Corvette is probably another.
Makes you wonder what the fate of Porsche will be in the future, now that they have apparently decided they must have an entry in practically every product class. Of course, even at 100,000 or so cars a year, Porsche is a long way from the production levels of the majors.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
There are a number of sports cars that, had they been built by one of the boutique manufacturers (Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, etc.) instead of a major manufacturer, would be more highly thought-of by the enthusiast public. The NSX is one, the Corvette is probably another.
Makes you wonder what the fate of Porsche will be in the future, now that they have apparently decided they must have an entry in practically every product class. Of course, even at 100,000 or so cars a year, Porsche is a long way from the production levels of the majors.
Hi,

I agree with you so far as styling is concerned on the NSX, but it's just not a particularly good Driving Experience, much more like a Super Civic than a Performance Car.

The Foley Artist for Pulp Fiction did an excellent job on the soundtrack of Winston Wolf's NSX, cause you're never gonna hear one in real life sound like that. Oh, another thing about the movie, when Mr. Wolf offers to give Jules and Vincent a lift in his NSX (until he finds out they're going to Tarzana) from "Monster Joe's Truck and Tow", where was he going to put them... Strap them across the Hood?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote