Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #41

Well, my point about the H3 was not necessarily about contributing to global warming but simply contributing to excessive consumption and abusive usage of natural resources...We are all responsible for our share and if everybody thinks twice before acting (buy a smaller car, consolidating trips while running errands, etc...nothing excessive, simply takes a few thoughts) a little surely can go a long way...We have destroyed SO much in the past 80 years that had been respected and maintain for 1000s of years before us...Wonder how we ended up at the top of the food chain!!!
You can force people to do their share the most you can do is be accountable for yourself...That;s at least how I try to lead my life.

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg

Last edited by vouvoune; 10-15-2006 at 07:04 PM.
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #42

I'm not sure preaching about conservation will go too far on this forum. I could be wrong...which is 95% of the time.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #43

Smile

"Well, my point about the H3 was not necessarily about contributing to global warming but simply contributing to excessive consumption and abusive usage of natural resources"

This suggests that there is an appropriate level of "consumption" and a "non-abusive" usage of natural resources.

I am wondering how you define them? To some, the ownership of a car is sufficient to signal an inappropriate useage of "natural resources" IE oil I presume. These folks would have you fiding the bus, taking the train, riding your bicycle.

To others, the H3 is perfectly fine and it is the jet airliner that is to blame.

Where is the line drawn? Where is the gold standard? When will we run out of oil?

Hint, not in our lifetime or your kid's either. Or their kid's either.

Good topic though.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Well, my point about the H3 was not necessarily about contributing to global warming but simply contributing to excessive consumption and abusive usage of natural resources"

This suggests that there is an appropriate level of "consumption" and a "non-abusive" usage of natural resources.

I am wondering how you define them? To some, the ownership of a car is sufficient to signal an inappropriate useage of "natural resources" IE oil I presume. These folks would have you fiding the bus, taking the train, riding your bicycle.

To others, the H3 is perfectly fine and it is the jet airliner that is to blame.

Good topic though.

How about the school of thought that owning a sporty, expensive, mediocre-fuel efficient porsche is as bad as owning a H3. Top that off with, GOD FORBID, owning a SECOND car. A BMW, maybe, or toyota. Do you really need two cars unless they're Prius'?

That line you pegged, Brucelee, is one continuing shifting SOB.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire

How about the school of thought that owning a sporty, expensive, mediocre-fuel efficient porsche is as bad as owning a H3. Top that off with, GOD FORBID, owning a SECOND car. A BMW, maybe, or toyota. Do you really need two cars unless they're Prius'?

That line you pegged, Brucelee, is one continuing shifting SOB.
How dare you - a hybrid? And what do you suggest we should do with all of those batteries once they need to be swapped out?

Dog sleds made from trees that were naturally killed by lightning strikes. That is the only environmentally responsible form of travel.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #46

I'm glad so many here are having fun and chuckles about the environment. I guess, as long as the trees, springs, lakes, and beaches in MY neighborhood are OK (or at least appear to be upon cursory inspection) as I enjoy them while riding in MY Box, all is good with the world.

It's a shame but looks like this old planet is eventually going to find a way to get rid of us humans for the ultimate pests that we are -- our existance but a blink in it's multi-billion year history. We'd deserve it if we don't wake up soon.

It's amazing how many wouldn't think twice on spending $$ on oil changes, wheel upgrades, gas stabilizers, car covers, and wax for preserving their Box but the concept of preserving the ultimate vehicle (Earth) that flies us through cold dark space eludes them. That one can take care of itself, no matter how hard we "ride" it, I guess.

Z.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #47

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
I'm glad so many here are having fun and chuckles about the environment. I guess, as long as the trees, springs, lakes, and beaches in MY neighborhood are OK (or at least appear to be upon cursory inspection) as I enjoy them while riding in MY Box, all is good with the world.

It's a shame but looks like this old planet is eventually going to find a way to get rid of us humans for the ultimate pests that we are -- our existance but a blink in it's multi-billion year history. We'd deserve it if we don't wake up soon.

It's amazing how many wouldn't think twice on spending $$ on oil changes, wheel upgrades, gas stabilizers, car covers, and wax for preserving their Box but the concept of preserving the ultimate vehicle (Earth) that flies us through cold dark space eludes them. That one can take care of itself, no matter how hard we "ride" it, I guess.

Z.
Thanks for the lecture. It is great that your "wisdom" is the light in an otherwise foolhardy forum we call 986!

Now, put your money where your mouth is. Sell your Boxster and buy a bike. Then, start eliminating every creature comfort in your life and you will be spiritually pure and superior to us mere greedy mortals.

Me, I have to go change my oil (which I will take to the recycling center like a good little boy!)

Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #48

Smile

Let me be clear.

I ride a motorcycle that gets 55 MPG. I also drive a 4 cylinder Subaru.

I recycle.

I just don't feel all that superior about it and I don't rain on those Hummer guys parade.

Hey, I am sure there is something that I am doing that annoys them.

Freedom, try some!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #49

"Freedom, try some!"

Just did. Hopefully no one had a problem with that.

Z.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #50

it out for your fix. I personally am going to blow some 91 octane out the pipe and mix a 10w30 protein shake for dinner. Being at the top of the food chain is nice and screwing mother earth isn't defined as driving a sports car. I'd do mother earth after a few beers.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown

Last edited by Rail26; 10-16-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #51

but wait

The sun is going to extinguish in the next few billiion years. It will burn out. It will be depleted of all the fuel necessary for it to provide life here. When it goes we go. Unless we go someplace else. The human race will cease to exist.

Unless we get hit by a meteor again which kills most everythign on the planet.

Or maybe the Ebola virus mutates into a form which manifests symptom free until after 7 days, where it's communicable during that period, then everybdoy dies.

Or maybe they'll be another Krakatoa.

Or maybe there will be another multicentury warm period exceeding ours.

Or maybe there will be another mini ice age, the likes of which ended almost two centuries ago.

Or maybe think about this. If there really is global warming, will we really need oil/natural gas/coal/wood to heat, fuel and run homes in temperate areas which would otherwise need heat and fuel for people to stay warm, cook, log on to their computers, watch TV, grow organic foods, power machinery to build bicycles and drive their SUV in snow?

The comments and suggestions here regarding skepticism of the "enviromental" issue are actually pure genious.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #52

That being said, I still, as always, respect the opions of others. :dance:
Old 10-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
Or maybe think about this. If there really is global warming, will we really need oil/natural gas/coal/wood to heat, fuel and run homes in temperate areas which would otherwise need heat and fuel for people to stay warm, cook, log on to their computers, watch TV, grow organic foods, power machinery to build bicycles and drive their SUV in snow?
Sheer genius. I am trading in my wife’s Toyota for an H1. Think of how my NJ property value will increase when we get Florida weather!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #54

As Hummers go, this H2 would probably contribute to something global:

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/geigercars-gulf-livery-hummer-gt/
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Sheer genius. I am trading in my wife’s Toyota for an H1. Think of how my NJ property value will increase when we get Florida weather!
The only problem is that once the icecaps melt, Hershey PA will become a coastal town. Jersey will be nothing more than a fable, like the lost city of Atlantis. See, maybe global warming isn't all bad afterall.

Kidding!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
The only problem is that once the icecaps melt, Hershey PA will become a coastal town. Jersey will be nothing more than a fable, like the lost city of Atlantis. See, maybe global warming isn't all bad afterall.

Kidding!
Most of Jersey, but I am up in the mountainous area so we should be fine. I will need to look for a new job though…

Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill

Forget H3s. Forget H2s and H1s. I'm trading in my my sneakers (oops, they've got rubber and plastic), I mean my bike (oops got vulcanized rubber and plastic too), I mean my straw slippers for one of these.

I'm going complete Nuclear. I'm goin WMD. I'm teaming up with Business America and the miltary and buying one of these.

6,000 horsepower. 12 thousand pound/feet torque. 0-60 in 40 seconds but can tear up some serious swamps ( I mean wetlands) in the meantime, 32 rounds of HPAT, HEAT or Tungsten Rounds depending on purpose, 7.62 coax and .50 cal just in case.

Oh yeah, it gets 2 gallons to the mile. However it will run on just about any fuel.

SUUUUWWWWEEET
Smoke em if you got em. ET phone home. Have a burger. e.e..
Old 10-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #58

Silly hippies stop letting Al Gore tell you what to do. The world goes in cycles, the propaganda BS that he is pushing is exactly that BS.

Oh how I hate this part of Seattle…

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote