Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

986 ends up on second floor

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.
It's supposed to be a 986.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/porsche-launches-into-second-story-of-new-jersey-building-killing-2/ar-BBWyjM9?ocid=spartandhp

Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

Wow!! They must have been flying ... literally and figuratively. Some smarter with math than me should be able to calculate the speed they were going.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #3

Nope. It was reported as a 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Something about this story grabbed me. I spent some time with Google Earth to look at the area. Fast right hand sweeper. They blew through the apex. The curbs are rolled and the median is grass/dirt. They missed the telephone pole and trees and the ditch launched them through the parking lot. I suspect the car caught the nose and cartwheeled up through the air. Two grade school friends gone.

Why are two guys in their early 20's, in a 2010 Boxster, at 6:30 in the morning, dead? We, as parents and friends of younger drivers, need to turn this tragedy into a teaching moment. This just sucks.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

I know it's a Porsche Boxster and all, but whatever car it might have been, this is a very sad story. Two young kids, their entire lives in front of them, get killed instantly as a result of a few seconds of very poor judgment. Sad.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #6

Must have been a Launch Vehicle. Check the VIN for option code 762.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-11-2019 at 10:19 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #7

Sad story. Who among us didn't survive some stupid things we did as kids? Here is a picture from one of the local articles showing the road and skidmarks.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Hahaha!!!! We might end up in hell, but that’s some funny ********************!
Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:48 AM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Around these parts....

.....it’s called, “Death by ‘Hold my beer, watch this’ syndrome.”

Natural selection at work.

Ain’t no cure for stupid.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
irreverent humor at its best.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #11

Deaths are not funny no matter how you spin them. And...we were all stupid in our 20's. Care to open up your life story to the world?????
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Deaths are not funny no matter how you spin them. And...we were all stupid in our 20's. Care to open up your life story to the world?????
And these were two kids, just getting their lives started.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-13-2019 at 01:21 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
.....it’s called, “Death by ‘Hold my beer, watch this’ syndrome.”

Natural selection at work.

Ain’t no cure for stupid.
I bow to you, mister perfect. I dare you to say that to their parents. What an ass_hole comment.

As a Dad of 4 great young men, I prayed every night of their teens and 20’s to get them one day closer to sound judgement. We were all 10ft tall and bullet proof once.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
Who's askin'?

I'm a little shocked at the cavalier attitude some of you have about two young men whose lives are over. How callous you can be about at least two sets of parents grieving (you ever watch a parent lose a child? ). About a community which will feel a loss of two bright young men missing from work, from happy hour, from wherever they volunteered, from their church services, from school classes.

I'm saddened at the story. And saddened further at the lack of empathy shown here, with my online friends.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'm a little shocked at the cavalier attitude some of you have about two young men whose lives are over. How callous you can be about at least two sets of parents grieving (you ever watch a parent lose a child? ). About a community which will feel a loss of two bright young men missing from work, from happy hour, from wherever they volunteered, from their church services, from school classes.

I'm saddened at the story. And saddened further at the lack of empathy shown here, with my online friends.
Well put, Maytag.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #16

It's the "Darwin Theory" at work. Where can I order a "flying Boxster"? It sure would make my commute a heck of a lot easier.

Sorry but I have little sympathy for supreme such stupidity..... "high rate of speed"?!?!......I can't imagine how fast they had to be traveling to launch a 3,000 pound object 20 feet in the air..........think about all of the other people who could of been killed by these idiots......innocent men, women and children could have been killed.......sorry no sympathy here for the occupants....for their families YES but not for them.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #17

My apologies and condolences to the parents and families. May you find comfort in your loss.

I would have a different emotion towards these young men if the situation would have had them enjoying a nice drive and were T-boned by someone who ran a red light or a drunk driver crossed the median and ran head-on into them. That would be senseless and random and very hard to understand. But that’s not the situation. Details are sketchy but we do know their vehicle flew a substantial distance through the air and landed in the 2nd floor of a building. No matter what the circumstances were to cause this, ultimately the driver was responsible and made this happen. He was the reason for this crash. Sure, you can blame it on youth or hubris or being indestructible or video games or anything else, but at some point prior to the accident survival instincts should have kicked in and they should have determined it was too dangerous and shut it down. Unless the throttle was stuck wide open, this tragedy did not have to happen. It wasn’t random. It was because of someone’s carelessness.

My parents instilled a belief in me about personal responsibility that I firmly am committed to today (I’m 60). You make decisions and are responsible for the outcomes of those decisions. There were decisions made by these young men and they paid the ultimate price. Better decisions would have gotten these two to breakfast that morning. Did their choice warrant my comment? No, but I made it and can’t take it back. Not a good decision on my part. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and 5 seconds to tear it down.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #18

I've stayed away from commenting on this tragic event, but I'll have to throw my 2 cents in. First of all, the loss of ANY young life is sad and nothing to joke about.

I don't know if these kids were bright, volunteers, church-goes or school students. What I do know is that it took more than a few seconds of poor judgement to get the car to a speed where it could be launched to the second floor. If 0-60 is about 5 seconds, imagine how long it would take to get to that speed. I suspect it wasn't the first time they drove like that. No one just goes out and does over 100 MPH on a secondary road on their first drive. And yes, they could have killed innocent bystanders. It's not my position to judge and I have no knowledge of whether these good young men were victims of a culture of privilege who've never had to suffer any consequences for their actions. (Until the accident, unfortunately)

As I said earlier, ANY loss of a young live is a tragedy. So we should show some empathy, and let's also show empathy for the kids that have sent back to the place they fled only to die at the hands of gangs or terrorists. I hope we show the same empathy when a child with a toy gun gets shot by a cop who couldn't possibly have assessed the situation before pulling the trigger because video shows the kid getting shot down within a fraction of a second of the cop car pulling up to the scene. Or the same empathy when a young school lunch worker gets shot after telling the cop that he has a permit to carry a firearm. Or all the children that got killed by indiscriminate bombings after the Stable Genius, after a phone call that no one knows what was promised, decided to relocate our troops from defending our Kurdish allies to protecting oil rigs. And, of course, those who have died due to some reckless driver. I could go on....

My point is this: There are lots and lots of kids who have died and continue to die because of no fault or no action of their own. I'd like to see empathy for them, too.

P.S. As I finish writing this, I see on the news about another school shooting in Santa Clarita, CA.....

Last edited by piper6909; 11-14-2019 at 07:22 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #19
Who's askin'?

Quote:
It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and 5 seconds to tear it down.
Ain't THAT the truth.

I'm not saying that I knew these kids. Nor that I don't think what they were doing was stupid. Certainly it was.

But here's what I try to remember when I see this sort of thing: I'm only one bad decision away from that being me. Same with my kids. As someone else mentioned here; we all survived some real stupidity in our youth. Some of it I probably SHOULDN'T have survived, but through the grace of God..... and there it is. Through the Grace of God I've avoided being the brunt of this same ill-thought-out humor and poorly-chosen words of judgement. How would any of YOU like to be judged, labeled, or otherwise defined by the single-worst thing you've ever done?

I expect more than that from myself. And I HOPE for more than that from those I interact with.

None of y'all are cold and heartless people (I assume), and so I expect that this is more about these young men being faceless to you. If these were your nephews, or your sons best friends, I suspect you'd be feeling it a little more closely.

As the resident Mormon of the group (haha) I'd challenge each of us to try to find empathy for all mankind..... not merely those who seem to never do anything wrong.

Now who's saying the closing prayer?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
As a Dad of 4 great young men, I prayed every night of their teens and 20’s to get them one day closer to sound judgement. We were all 10ft tall and bullet proof once.
+ 1

We are praying everyday that our kids don't do the same stupid mistakes that we did when we were young and managed to survive.

Unfortunately not all my friends that I grew up with did..

Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote