Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #21
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Wait. Did someone say oil and tires?
You know what this forum needs? More discussion on oil and tires....... and alternate IMS bearings. And coolant colour. And whether to oil or not oil a K&N filter.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #22

OOPS......typo....it's a 1998 not an 89....LOL
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
To speak in terms Piper would understand: Raby is sorta like Trump, in that to his followers, he can do no wrong. Raby could walk out and literally put a bullet in your motor and still convince you it was caused by the LWFW.
HAha! I love it!

But what does LWFW mean? Left Wing ______ ______ ?

Quote:
But I agree with the general statement that there isn't one RIGHT way, with all the others being wrong.

I see no reason to suggest that the EPS isn't as good a solution as any other.... and it is most CERTAINLY "good enough".

There are WAAAY too many other things that can take the motor out, for me to start worrying about something with such a statistically-low failure rate.
EDIT: And BTW, we actually agree on something!! :dance:

Last edited by piper6909; 10-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #24
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
But what does LWFW mean? Left Wing ______ ______ ?
Light Weight Fly Wheel. hahaha
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Light Weight Fly Wheel. hahaha
HAHA!! Too funny!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #26
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Maytag....

...Why must you disparage folks who have purchased parts from Jake Raby with great success and bring a political analogy into this discussion?

How does that help the collective?
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...Why must you disparage folks who have purchased parts from Jake Raby with great success and bring a political analogy into this discussion?

Maytag can speak for himself, but the gist of his argument is that Jake Raby isn't the end-all be-all on Porsche motors. He's out to sell a product. And he has every right to do so. But there are other products as well. Don't blindly follow one guy, have an open mind.

Regarding the political analogy, I was the butt of the joke, but I found it funny and a rather good analogy and funny. So I wasn't offended in any way, so lighten up a bit.

Last edited by piper6909; 10-10-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #28
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

Im not disparaging people for buying their products. Hell, I'VE bought some of their products.
Rather, I'm disparaging those who close their minds to any other knowledge, experience or solution. Your own post: "... use the Google..." is already condescending, and you go on to actually say that there's only one solution.

So I'll ask your question of YOU: how does that help the collective?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #29
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Easy.....

.....He asked which solution to buy. I told him which solution to buy.

I told him to "use the Google" because there is a wealth of information out there on this subject.

Simple.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Maytag can speak for himself, but the gist of his argument is that Jake Raby isn't the end-all be-all on Porsche motors. He's out to sell a product.
Jake does not sell products, only complete engines.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You don't think he gets anything from pushing LN Engineering stuff? You think he worked with LN Engineering pro bono to develop the IMS Solution?

"LN Engineering and Flat 6 Innovations have secretly been working on a solution (pre-dating the introduction of the single row bearing IMS Retrofit kit) to the bearing failures experienced in model year 2000 through 2005 intermediate shafts using the single row ball-bearing, dubbed the IMS Solution."

Source:
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Whats-s-New-At-Flat-6-Innovations.html?soid=1107025842595&aid=DM3W5Z9OmAk
Old 10-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #32
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Riiiiiggghhht...... ;-)
So he has zero interest in L/N with Charles.... and has zero interest in THE IMS SOLUTION ?

if that's true, then we're not talking about raby anyway, because we've been talking about the purveyor of that product.

And 10; piper already set ya straight, below. I don't know why you'd want to continue being offended?

Old 10-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Riiiiiggghhht...... ;-)
So he has zero interest in L/N with Charles.... and has zero interest in THE IMS SOLUTION ?

if that's true, then we're not talking about raby anyway, because we've been talking about the purveyor of that product.

And 10; piper already set ya straight, below. I don't know why you'd want to continue being offended?

Who's offended?

And yes, he has no interest in LN, that is Charles Navarro's business.

And Piper had not "set me straight" about anything; he is entitled to his opinions, and I am equally entitled to disagree with them. But if anything, with years in this business, I have learned to stop talking when someone does not want to hear a dissenting opinion, regardless of how much experience it is based upon.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-10-2019 at 02:49 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Who's offended?

Again:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Whats-s-New-At-Flat-6-Innovations.html?soid=1107025842595&aid=DM3W5Z9OmAk

He wrote it himself that he worked with LN Engineering to develop the IMS Solution.
Its not opinion, JFP.

My only opinion is that I don't think he did it so LN gets all the profits, do you?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #35
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Who's offended?

10/10ths said he's offended.

And yes, I know LN is Charles' enterprise, but it sure seems they blur the lines regularly. I don't believe for a moment that Raby has no vested interest in the IMS SOLUTION. And likely some other products as well. But that's not a problem.

Everyone seems to misunderstand my comments about JR/CN/LN.
I think they're awesome, frankly. I think they develop great stuff for us all. I think their knowledge is HUGE. and I've heard they're also really nice guys.
Where I get less enthusiastic is with the zealots. The people who quote raby like scripture. The ones who think that if raby said it then it's above question. The ones who like to name-drop to try to win an argument. And yes, the ones who think raby has no agenda. He most clearly DOES have an agenda, since he makes his living off of people believing his way is best (if not "only" way).

Old 10-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #36

And let me set the record straight, I think the IMS Solution is a fine product. I'm just making the argument that it's not the ONLY permanent solution.

Most likely I will not replace my IMS bearing since I have a Tip. But if I had a manual and I had to change the clutch, I'd probably do it and use the EPS solution.

It has fewer parts that could fail, like the external flex hose, and it costs less than 1/3 of the IMS Solution.

The lower cost makes it a much better insurance policy. <-- And that's my opinion.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #37
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Maytag...

....I never posted that I was offended.

Go back and read.

Before this gets outta hand, I am leaving this thread.

For folks who want to know my opinion on this subject, please just search all of my posts. I have written extremely detailed posts on my wonderful experience with Jake Raby and Flat 6 Innovations and how wonderful the entire experience has been working with him and his folks.

Am I a Jake Raby fanboy? Absolutely. He has been awesome to deal with. He has always answered all of my questions immediately and has been there to back up everything he has done.

I really do not understand why anyone would be less than enthusiastic discussing Jake Raby and company. My personal experience has been spectacular.

Again, I never said I was offended.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Again:

He wrote it himself that he worked with LN Engineering to develop the IMS Solution.
Its not opinion, JFP.

My only opinion is that I don't think he did it so LN gets all the profits, do you?
Charles runs an extensive machine shop, so he has no ability to test concepts in engines. Jake has an equally extensive engine prep and testing facility, and can evaluate and test ideas and components to destruction. Charles has used Jake's abilities and facility for many years to evaluate products of all types, some of which never saw daylight.

As for the Solution, if memory serves, Jake and either developed or was in the process of developing the Solution when Charles approached him about the idea for an open ceramic hybrid bearing, which after substantial testing at Jake's facility become the LN retrofit product(s). Jake completed his development of the Solution, and then patented it before LN began production of it and released it to the public. As the patent holder, I'm sure Jake gets a residual off the Solution kits that LN produce; which is exactly why patents exist.

As for my comment about your "opinion", that was directed at the EPS product, not Jake or Charles relationship. They are both business men, and as other have commented, very nice guys as well. But as astute business men, I would hardly expect them to act otherwise.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #39
Who's askin'?

If nobody's offended, and everybody agrees so splendidly, then why are you leaving the thread?

I just shake my head sometimes at people who talk in circles.

I'm sure your experience has been great. Many other's (including my own) has been "spotty" at best. That's fine..... every business has its struggles, and issues, and even its outliers / anomalies.

Again: if nobody is offended then I don't know why you'd have to leave the thread.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #40

Quote:
It has fewer parts that could fail, like the external flex hose, and it costs less than 1/3 of the IMS Solution.
I have never heard or seen one of these braided stainless lines fail, and installed properly, they are tucked way up out of harms way with several other parts of the engine hanging below them.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote