Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2024, 12:02 PM   #1

Using Durametric software to diagnose random false car alarms

2000 Boxster S, 6 speed

The alarm in my 986 Boxster is sounding randomly in the drive. I thought it would be quick to find the reason using my Durametric software. However, I cannot find a list of the last 10 alarm trigger reasons that other users have reported seeing. What am i doing wrong?

I can see two alarm modules in the module tree. Under fault codes there was nothing obvious, but years of stored glitches. I reset the faults and armed the alarm. It went off on its own few hours later. However, there are still no faults showing for either alarm module. Not much help so far. Can you see the trigger reason list on a 986 with that software?

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to start diagnosis. It appears from other posts that the common culprits are the center storage cover microswitch not reliably latching and the interior IR motion detector module near the roof release.

I armed the alarm with two rapid key fob presses that I think turns off the interior motion detector but leaves everything else in use. I am now at 24 hours without a false alarm. I can try single press arming the module tomorrow and seeing if the alarm false triggers again in 6-12 hours. That would cast firm suspicion on the motion detector module.

Other suggestions appreciated. I could disconnect the horn to spare the neighbors, but I cannot directly see the car from inside the house and so it unlikely I would see the light flashes to ever realize the alarm was going off without the sound.

Morph_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:22 PM   #2

Garage
Look under your driver’s seat to see if your immobilizer is soaking wet
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:08 PM   #3

I got a car with all sorts of microswitch issues. Once I resolved them, the car wouldn't beep twice when I locked the car but the alarm would randomly go off. No issues detected in Durametric. I decided to replace the ignition switch as it can cause weird things to happen - this solved the alarm issue for me. The ignition switch is a cheap part so might be worth replacing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph_82 View Post
2000 Boxster S, 6 speed

The alarm in my 986 Boxster is sounding randomly in the drive. I thought it would be quick to find the reason using my Durametric software. However, I cannot find a list of the last 10 alarm trigger reasons that other users have reported seeing. What am i doing wrong?

I can see two alarm modules in the module tree. Under fault codes there was nothing obvious, but years of stored glitches. I reset the faults and armed the alarm. It went off on its own few hours later. However, there are still no faults showing for either alarm module. Not much help so far. Can you see the trigger reason list on a 986 with that software?

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to start diagnosis. It appears from other posts that the common culprits are the center storage cover microswitch not reliably latching and the interior IR motion detector module near the roof release.

I armed the alarm with two rapid key fob presses that I think turns off the interior motion detector but leaves everything else in use. I am now at 24 hours without a false alarm. I can try single press arming the module tomorrow and seeing if the alarm false triggers again in 6-12 hours. That would cast firm suspicion on the motion detector module.

Other suggestions appreciated. I could disconnect the horn to spare the neighbors, but I cannot directly see the car from inside the house and so it unlikely I would see the light flashes to ever realize the alarm was going off without the sound.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:57 AM   #4

I checked, under seat is dry, plus it is 23 degrees outside at the moment. I replaced the ignition switch about a year ago. Switch is stiff at these temperatures because the old grease in the steering lock mechanism gets viscous, but that is common.

The car went 24 hours with no alarms in double key fob press mode. That seemed like progress, but to be sure, it has now also gone 24 hours with no alarms in single key fob press modes. Grrr. It appears this is going to be a truly random and hard to trace fault.

I will call a local independent today and see if the genuine Porsche software tells them more about the alarm system.

It is highly antisocial to have an alarm that goes off randomly, particularly in the middle of the night.

I believe later Porches were given a triple key fob press mode that locks the car, but does not enable the alarm to solve complaints from customers with alarm faults that they could either have the alarm go off randomly until fixed OR not lock their car at all.. I checked and on my 986, a triple push unlocks the car and leaves the alarm off. Not much progress there!

Thanks

Morph_986 is offline   Reply With Quote