Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless1 View Post
how to install a key bypass in a 986/996.
You don’t. Moving on...

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #22

And why is that? Because you don’t know how and you therefore decided???

Last edited by clueless1; 09-10-2019 at 05:41 PM.
clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #23

In the meantime, thanks for trying to be helpful elgyqc. While the post wasn’t directly on topic the poster was a pro in the 12V industry, exactly the kind of guy who would understand what I’m talking about and might know the answer. So I PMd him and hope that he is still around these parts.

In case anybody pops by this thread and does NOT want to talk about having a summer car, living in Texas, car theft histrionics, or the inappropriateness of remote starters in manual transmission vehicles, my technical questions remain.

Specifically:

1) Does anybody know how to install DEI 556U in 2001 Boxster? Eg, is the wiring Euro style, non-euro, or some other way (there’s a VAG tech bulletin from DEI)? Which transponder wire is cut?

2) Can the factory transponder ring be directly powered during crank (and ACC) to read the required key (if inserted in the ignition cylinder).

Last edited by clueless1; 09-10-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #24
Who's askin'?

Quote:
In the meantime, thanks for trying to be helpful elgyqc. While the post wasn’t directly on topic the poster was a pro in the 12V industry, exactly the kind of guy who would understand what I’m talking about and might know the answer. So I PMd him and hope that he is still around these parts.

In case anybody pops by this thread and does NOT want to talk about having a summer car, living in Texas, car theft histrionics, or the inappropriateness of remote starters in manual transmission vehicles, my technical questions remain.

Specifically:

1) Does anybody know how to install DEI 556U in 2001 Boxster? Eg, is the wiring Euro style, non-euro, or some other way (there’s a VAG tech bulletin from DEI)? Which transponder wire is cut?

2) Can the factory transponder ring be directly powered during crank (and ACC) to read the required key (if inserted in the ignition cylinder).
Wow. You must really be a ton of fun at parties.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
And why is that? Because you don’t know how and you therefore decided???
I was going to offer to help until I saw how rude you were being to JFP. He’s a valuable member and I think you could have approached it better.

Good luck!

Last edited by particlewave; 09-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #26

The transmitter antenna in the 986 is a passive component.

I think that should answer your initial "hacking the immobilizer system" question.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #27

Yes, that info may help. If it’s just a passive antenna does that = there’s no reason I can’t just directly power it via relay? (that’s the core of the issue ... I’m not trying to “hack the immobilizer”; instead I am trying to enable/power the factory transponder antenna ON to look for a pill on remote start).

Is the passive antenna powered with constant 12V positive? And would it matter which side (which of the two wires) was powered (via relay)?

Last edited by clueless1; 09-10-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:38 AM   #28

I been needing a new password for my computer at work. "Cluelessthe****************************1" At least 15 letters and easy to remember.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I been needing a new password for my computer at work. "Cluelessthe****************************1" At least 15 letters and easy to remember.
WTF. Really?? Was that necessary?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #30
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
WTF. Really?? Was that necessary?
90% of the replies in this thread have not been necessary.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #31
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
90% of the replies in this thread have not been necessary.
Make that 95% . . . . . . .

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #32
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Make that 95% . . . . . . .

97% now.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #33
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Yes, that info may help. If it’s just a passive antenna does that = there’s no reason I can’t just directly power it via relay? (that’s the core of the issue ... I’m not trying to “hack the immobilizer”; instead I am trying to enable/power the factory transponder antenna ON to look for a pill on remote start).

Is the passive antenna powered with constant 12V positive? And would it matter which side (which of the two wires) was powered (via relay)?
as mentioned the antenna itself is passive, but it is connected to the immobilizer module. the immobilizer module is powered by the orange wire coming from the ignition switch.
here is a diagram of the immobilizer module.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #34

Easiest solution - buy a second key and have a dealer or indie program it for your car.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #35
inveniam viam aut faciam

I am not sure I should get involved in this, but I think I might know how a remote start could work. Basically, you would need another programmed transponder. That would be put in another reader coil in the remote start that would be relayed to the coil reading module instead of the original coil when the remote start was activated via its transmitter. So, unless the remote start transmitter was used, it would function normally. If the remote start was used, you would still need the mechanical key to unlock the column and drive the car. I would assume there are interlocks for the parking brake and some sort of neutral safety mechanism.

So, the only real danger of cars being stolen would be by having that extra transponder in the car that is used by the remote start. You would need to know it has the remote start and where it is, then remove the transponder and put it in a key that would work in the lock so you could use it as a normal key. If the remote start's transponder was glued in, it would be extremely difficult to do this, to the point I would say the risk would be negligible.

As for the remote start, it would need to energize the 86s terminal when switched over to the remote start transponder. That would make the coil reader module read the transponder and start the transponder authentication process. Once that is done, you energize the ignition and then starter.

All that said, I have never installed one of the devices that is mentioned, so I have no idea how the configuration needs to be set up to get it to work or if the device in question can do this, but I would bet it can. I personally wouldn't put one in my Boxster, but YMMV.

Last edited by Qmulus; 09-12-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Typo. I HATE typos.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #36
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
These are all different points of view and opinions. I can't agree with any, but we do have a stubborn one.

JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote