Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Boxster on a U-Haul car trailer?

I know some guys use these to take their cars to the track, and maybe some have used them for moving.

What do you all think about placement? In the past (as a construction worker in a previous life), I’ve loaded trailers with weight distributed 60/40, biased to the front.
U-Haul, due to trailer design with wheel stops fixed at the front, wants you to pull the car all the way to the front of the trailer, front (engine) first.

I’ve seen that Porsche drivers back the cars onto the trailer so the engine is in the front.
My thinking is that with the car already balanced about 40/60 front/rear and the far forward placement of the vehicle on the trailer, by loading the car front first the trailer would end up about 60/40 front rear, which would be better than having 75% of the weight on the tongue.

Thoughts?

BTW, making a 2000 mile trip in October. Car carrier and other trailer options are out due to budget, so it’s going on the trailer, one way or another.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #2

I picked mine up on a u-haul car trailer. Handled fine but did scrape going on ( plastic underside behind front tires. AND if you load it all the way to the wheel stops, be careful unloading. I pulled my front bumper 1/2 off because it slide on fine, but backing the bumper scraped and pulled loose. If I did it again I would take and put a piece of 3/4" plywood under the front wheels to have clearance when unloading. Or have a friend work the bumper while unloading. Other than that it trailered great behind a 2017 Tundra.
( scared myself a couple times, would look in the rearview mirror and yell at the Porsche to "get off my ***" thought he was tailgating
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #3

PW - I've done it twice. Both times I loaded front first, all the way forward. Didn't even feel anything behind me as I brought the cars home.
First time was Tulsa to OKC when I had a water pump fail me.
Second time was this - bringing my spec car project home from Jon (78F350), He's in Eastern Oklahoma, I'm in Southwest Oklahoma. Truck drove fine, Boxster and trailer towed fine.
Rick

Edit: looking through some pictures, I remember another time a few years ago when I U-Hauled home another fine example of a mid-engine, 2 seat Porsche. This one was sitting in a barn in the Texas panhandle.
Attached Images

Last edited by RedTele58; 09-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

Guy I sold my 01S trailered it home using Uhaul. It had to go on rear first b/c the front lip would not clear the traler front with the wheels in the right tie down place.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Still not sure whether front or rear facing would be better. Now I’m seeing 986 weight distribution numbers at 47/53, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

What do you all think about covering? It’s a 30 hour drive, so I also worry about the cloth flapping and rubbing the paint.
Would covering the car’s painted areas with paper before putting on the cover be overkill?

Sorry guys...I’m worried about her.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:40 AM   #6

In my picture above you can see I covered it. Nope. Not again. The wind effect will lift it up and flap the entire time you're going down the road. The picture above is before. By the time I got home all I had was a rag flapping in the breeze. I honestly wouldn't worry about a cover. It's just one more variable to deal with.

Also - if you use the same type of trailer I was using, the engine of the Boxster set right between the trailer axles. It was a very balanced ride.

Here's bringing my '02S back from Tulsa. It was only a couple hour trip, but it came home just like this.

Once you load it, you'll play hell getting the doors open. Better to drop the top and go out over the top.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
In my picture above you can see I covered it. Nope. Not again. The wind effect will lift it up and flap the entire time you're going down the road. The picture above is before. By the time I got home all I had was a rag flapping in the breeze. I honestly wouldn't worry about a cover. It's just one more variable to deal with.

Also - if you use the same type of trailer I was using, the engine of the Boxster set right between the trailer axles. It was a very balanced ride.

Here's bringing my '02S back from Tulsa. It was only a couple hour trip, but it came home just like this.

Once you load it, you'll play hell getting the doors open. Better to drop the top and go out over the top.
Yeah, I agree: covering seems like a bad idea to me. Without something to protect it, would quickly wreak havoc with the paint. [PW, what kind of "paper" you referring to, as far as protection? Anything not actually stuck to the paint is gonna flap in the breeze..]

I see the problem with getting the door open. One would have to have a lot of faith in the weather forecast to go top down! One possibility: Pull the car onto the trailer, put the top up, latch it, open the driver's side window, climb out, being careful not to scuff the door paint on the way out. The window can then be closed by the key in the door lock technique.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #8

I agree with Frodo on raising the top for your trip. The trip above was a short trip on a blue sky day. I was just lazy to raise the top knowing I'd have to get back inside the car in a couple o' hours.

But yeah, I think covering the car is just inviting trouble.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #9

Just a thought and it may not be a good one but check to see if locally you have some guys that do boat wraps for winter . It is usually white in color and comes on a roll . The material has nylon straps built in every few feet . They stretch it , tie it down then lightly hit it with a heat gun . I see cars on delivery trailers quite often with a similar setup . It would help protect the vehicle and I doubt it would hurt the paint . Now that I think about it throw a cheap cover on first then have the wrap done . Double protection . Good luck with the move .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #10

Didn't realize you could buy the material over the counter , here is one result from a search .

https://www.amazon.com/Winterizing-Proofing-Protecting-Protection-Winterize/dp/B076WMR3CD?tag=pontoon0a-20
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #11
Racer Boy

Just use painter's paint (masking paint) to cover the front of the car. It will take a while, but it doesn't have to be perfect. You'll have plenty of free time to do that while moving, after all!

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about rock chips or getting the car dirty too much. It won't be any worse than driving the car.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:

I left the top up and crawled out the driver's side with the window down. It wasn't until I was returning the empty trailer that I noticed the mudguards over the wheels fold down so that you can open the door. Not for the first time I felt like an idiot but fortunately no one saw me crawling in or out.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
I left the top up and crawled out the driver's side with the window down. It wasn't until I was returning the empty trailer that I noticed the mudguards over the wheels fold down so that you can open the door. Not for the first time I felt like an idiot but fortunately no one saw me crawling in or out.
OOPS!

That's good to know. I'd have been spending the rest of my life climbing out the top or through the window of every Porsche I drag home.

And I gave up worrying about feeling or looking like an idiot a long time ago, but yeah...

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #14

So PW - nosy minds need to know... I understand you've been finishing up some schooling the past few years in the few conversations we've had.

I'm guessing with a 30 hour drive it's connected to a new job? Where you going/what you doing, if I may ask? 30 hours from KC puts you on one end of the country or the other. Or pretty far north.

Rick
Old 09-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Still not sure whether front or rear facing would be better. Now I’m seeing 986 weight distribution numbers at 47/53, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

What do you all think about covering? It’s a 30 hour drive, so I also worry about the cloth flapping and rubbing the paint.
Would covering the car’s painted areas with paper before putting on the cover be overkill?

Sorry guys...I’m worried about her.
My boys in their mid-late 20's protect their cars by covering the front with blue painters tape. Seems to do well keeping bugs/small rocks from damaging the paint. the tape off easy when done and doesn't leave any residue.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #16

BTW, my brother did the tape thing back in the mid-70's driving his new Camaro down the ALCAN from Anchorage. Back then, there was a good 1500 miles of gravel road. Worked great but I can't remember what type of tape he used.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #17
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
No possibility of driving the car?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
BTW, my brother did the tape thing back in the mid-70's driving his new Camaro down the ALCAN from Anchorage. Back then, there was a good 1500 miles of gravel road. Worked great but I can't remember what type of tape he used.

I have made that ride before in August with no A/C, not fun!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
My boys in their mid-late 20's protect their cars by covering the front with blue painters tape. Seems to do well keeping bugs/small rocks from damaging the paint. the tape off easy when done and doesn't leave any residue.
Thanks. I think this is what I’ll end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
No possibility of driving the car?
Unfortunately, no. I’ll be driving the truck pulling the trailer and we have two other cars to move.

Last edited by particlewave; 09-29-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #20

Quote:
I

You do know the fenders fold down on a Uhaul trailer right?

I dragged my parts car home 1200 miles on a Uhaul trailer, towed it with a 2011 X5 50i. Pulled great 70-80 mph the whole way.

Cosmo Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote