Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Garage
Oil Stick Reading

When I check the oil level from the P car's oil stick, one side of the reading shows oil level just below the top notch, the other side shows oil level half-way between the top notch and the low notch. Which is the correct reading?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
A Porsche Guy

There should be no difference. Make sure your car is on a flat surface and your car is cold when you check it with the dipstick. It can take some time for all the oil to go back into the sump because it holds 9 quarts. Do not rely on the digital oil reader if it reads low. I have seen my car go down to one bar above the minimum line on long drives. It is/can be very inaccurate.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
There should be no difference. Make sure your car is on a flat surface and your car is cold when you check it with the dipstick. It can take some time for all the oil to go back into the sump because it holds 9 quarts. Do not rely on the digital oil reader if it reads low. I have seen my car go down to one bar above the minimum line on long drives. It is/can be very inaccurate.
At the current reading of the oil dipstick; it was sitting in the garage for a day, or overnight, flat, level surface, the digital display shows a notch or two low, but the dipstick oil level shows inconsistencies from one side to the next. Either way the oil level is not at the lowest notch where it would need oil, but in the middle on one side and turn over the dipstick, the level is just below the top notch on the other side.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 AM   #4

Garage
Do you wipe the oil off the dipstick, return it and then pull it out for a reading? If you don't wipe it off first you will get an inaccurate reading.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:09 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Do you wipe the oil off the dipstick, return it and then pull it out for a reading? If you don't wipe it off first you will get an inaccurate reading.
I do dry it and take a second or third reading; each time drying it.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

it sounds to me like the oil may be getting smeared in the process of taking it out/putting it in. These cars have pretty long dipsticks, so there's a lot of distance it has to travel. Your dipstick isn't bent at all, is it?
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
it sounds to me like the oil may be getting smeared in the process of taking it out/putting it in. These cars have pretty long dipsticks, so there's a lot of distance it has to travel. Your dipstick isn't bent at all, is it?
No, not bent.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

My guess is still that you're somehow getting some smearing on the way out. In which case, I would trust the higher reading.
But this is entirely speculation, I've never heard of someone having this issue before.
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #9

Garage
I would go with the lower reading!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
I would go with the lower reading!
Going by the lower reading may cause an overfill; whereas going by the higher reading has a less chance of overfilling; the bigger risk is an overfill.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #11

Question Reading Oil Dipstick question

I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (due to various electronic gremlins). I have had the car for only a short time and I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)? Any guidance or detailed instructions would greatly be appreciated.
bbmidmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmidmi View Post
I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (due to various electronic gremlins). I have had the car for only a short time and I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)? Any guidance or detailed instructions would greatly be appreciated.
Always sitting level
I always check mine before starting (cold)
But if you have driven it just let it set for 10-15 minutes before checking.
Pull the dipstick wipe it clean then fully reinsert it pull it back out and note the level.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote