Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
I have found 32oz gatorade bottles work well - tall enough, correct volume(almost 1000ml more than plenty room), wide base (aka hard to accidentally knock over spilling brake fluid on your clean garage floor) and all flavors perform equally well

Good luck
do you drink that nasty stuff?

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
do you drink that nasty stuff?
LOL - Nope but a ton of guys at the track do.

So when flushing trackside a supply is readily at hand. And when I get home from the track and while unloading I invariably find one or more half empty which somebody left in a corner of my trailer. Discard contents and put w/ my power-bleeder for next use.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #23

+1 for dry vs. wet.

Its a risk vs. reward equation with the reward, clean brake fluid, being the same either way.

I was flushing brakes a few years ago (wet) with my power bleeder. I connected the bleeder, pump it up and go around to passenger rear to start the process. All was fine at first, then the flow stopped...I get up to check the bleeder and the hose had cracked (~4 years old) at the bleeder inlet and was leaking wonderful brake fluid all down the bleeder and into the frunk. Luckily, an old towel had absorbed the fluid and I was able to clean up without any damage.

Only downside to using the bleeder dry is keeping a watchful eye on the MC reservoir level, but after you've had a hose crack, that's no big deal!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #24

I like to use the bleeder dry, unless when bleeding the clutch as (according to the shop manual..) you need to leave the bleeder screw open for 20 seconds..!! But you should replace the hydraulic fluid after a couple of years anyway

And I prefer to deal about having to remove the excess fluid from the bleeder bottle than stoping, adding more fluid, etc.,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:48 AM   #25
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Basically you have the gist...

However...

Pumping up bleeder is not like inflating an air mattress by mouth - LOL. It's maybe 15-20 pumps (I dunno something like 20-30 seconds) max. Toddler water wings for the pool hold more air and at higher pressure - HA! If you're winded from pumping a power bleeder then please stay out of the driver's seat on public roads as you've got serious health issues and are putting other drivers at unnecessary risk.

When using a power bleeder dry I doubt you'll need to add fluid more than once to the reservoir for bleeding (maybe a slight top off at end to get to correct level - but usually I'm bleeding excess off at driver side corner to bring down to correct level). Maybe one or two pumps to bring pressure back up between corners but usually the whole axle can be done when starting at 18psi.

Good luck
It's a ****************ing bug sprayer with a pressure guage. Winded? WTF are you talking about?

I did take a look at the reservoir and I see what you're talking about. It's much larger than the reservoir on my Edge or bim. Thus, what you describe (top off) makes sense.

Who pumps up an air mattress with their mouth? It's 2019.

Thank you. Have a nice day.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #26

d e l e t e d

Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #27
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
d e l e t e d

You didn't have to do that.

Best regards,

Francis

Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
Its a PITA to clean the powerbleeder.
I find is much easier to use it dry and not worry about having to clean the brake fluid from the bleeder

YMMV
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #29
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I was schooled.

For example... the reservoir on my 12 Edge is PUNY. The reservoir in the Box, in comparison, is HUGE.

Thus, I'll be going the dry route.

Thank you to all piping in on this matter.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 AM   #30

I've always converted my bikes to Belray Dot5 fully synthetic. It is not hygroscopic and thus never needs changing. As brakes and clutches are close to paint work, it's never a problem if you spill some on it.

Someone told me the US army changed to synthetic in some remote country due to environmental considerations and ended up saving millions of $ on maintenance.

You however have to completely clean the system before changing over.

Also reduces rusting issues.

marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote