Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

ABS wire replacement

ABS light and TC off are on. Was just checking everything I can think of and discovered that the ABS sensor plug behind the wheel is broken in half. The wires to the wheel are simply hanging there. Ordered the new piece (part # 996 612 95200) and I understand the connection near the wheel. But, it looks as if there are 3 wires that will have to be spliced in somewhere up in the fender. Will have to look for where. Cannot find a tutorial anywhere about that. Does anyone have some steps/advice/information about this? Thanks

ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It looks like the wires are intact and the plastic connector is all that is broken. If at all possible, the best solution would be to de-pin the wires from the broken connector and insert them into the new one. I don't think that will work in this case though with the molded plug.

I'll take a look at one when I get a chance and see if it is fairly easy to release the wires from it. Otherwise, do a good crimp connection in the trunk. On the right side the wires enter the trunk from under the coolant tank, then lead to the harness.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Yep, I looked at the connector and it's not one that you can de-pin. Just cut the old one off in the trunk (remove the carpet and padding) and leave plenty of room to splice the new wires on.
There's plenty of good Youtube videos about crimping and soldering if you want info about that.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

wiring

Crimping wires together is no big deal. My concern was where in the car (accessible?) would that be. I haven't looked yet. If it's in the trunk and I can easily reach/work on the wires, then no problem.

Part should be in by the weekend - hopefully - and I can get started.

ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote