Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
So look what somebody did!

Some guy knocks on my door selling and I send him away, then look outside and he is polishing my headlights...without approval. I flip out. He said he was with protek chemical and wouldn’t stop. It got to the point where I was cursing and telling him you never touch someone’s car, and pointed out how messed everything was. Now look.
He scratched the ever living crap out of the lights and the surrounding paint, and I can’t get the scratches out. There is some weird reaction that fogged the lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

I'd be calling the County Coroner on that guy. (or at least the police and ambulance) I hope you got his name and plan to file a claim with the company.

Reminds me of the time in New Orleans when some dude proceeded to "polish my shoes" while I was walking down the street. He ended up eating shoeleather.

Some people don't have respect for other people's property. SMDH
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I'd be calling the County Coroner on that guy. (or at least the police and ambulance) I hope you got his name and plan to file a claim with the company.

Reminds me of the time in New Orleans when some dude proceeded to "polish my shoes" while I was walking down the street. He ended up eating shoeleather.

Some people don't have respect for other people's property. SMDH
guy is gone, no company...a trunk slammer. I would love for him to get some feedback on this and never do something like this again.
I'm a nice guy, and feel for guys that are hustling and such. bad stuff happens and I don't overreact to it. Door dings and fender benders are unfortunate, but don't rule my life, ya know?
ill muddle through and pull the headlights, 3M and seal again. Hours...

BTW, same thing happened to us in Atlanta when we were down for the olympics; guy came up and started spraying cleaner on my buddies sneakers when we were having a beer. He went off the rails and I had to drag him away. Small world.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
guy is gone, no company...a trunk slammer. I would love for him to get some feedback on this and never do something like this again.
I'm a nice guy, and feel for guys that are hustling and such. bad stuff happens and I don't overreact to it. Door dings and fender benders are unfortunate, but don't rule my life, ya know?
ill muddle through and pull the headlights, 3M and seal again. Hours...

BTW, same thing happened to us in Atlanta when we were down for the olympics; guy came up and started spraying cleaner on my buddies sneakers when we were having a beer. He went off the rails and I had to drag him away. Small world.
Normally I'm very easy-going myself, but invading my space and property lights a fuse in me. Maybe it's because I take care not to impose on others and I expect the same. I get it that people need to make a living, but you just can't do that.

We'll have to believe Karma will get him.

Hope it polishes out easily for you.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would have called the cops. Litronics cost over $1000 to replace, so that guy probably committed a felony. Did you get a business card?

The fogginess of the headlights looks to be from the scratches, but it's hard to tell from the picture. You may be able to get it out with a machine buffer and compound/polish, I doubt you could get them out by hand. If you don't have a buffer I would try one of those drill headlight repair kits. I would then consider putting some film on the headlights since you will have taken a layer off to get the scratches out.

The paint can probably be repaired with a compound/polish as long as your nails don't "catch" when you run them over the scratches. Can't really see the paint damage in the picture though.

What kind of buffer was he using?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I am generally the nicest guy in the world, but I would have called the cops. That's vandalism.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Will there be cake?

Garage
He did this by hand, but was rubbing really hard, like broke a massive sweat in 30 seconds. He went magilla gorilla on it while I was saying stop, stop and pushing him away.
He wouldn’t stop, it was unbelievable.
They are scratches. I did the 3m kit and clear coat 2 years ago and they looked good. Now one looks wasted. He tore it up.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

Garage
That really sucks.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Call your insurance agent vandalism is covered under comprehensive.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Justifiable homicide right there...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Do you have any way of preventing access to your property? At least a "no solicitation" sign?
With 95 Lbs of 'Lilo' and a fence, I've never had that sort of problem.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
Will there be cake?

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Do you have any way of preventing access to your property? At least a "no solicitation" sign?
With 95 Lbs of 'Lilo' and a fence, I've never had that sort of problem.

Removed comments because I was rude.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 07-04-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
That's sad about your headlight. I understand that not everyone wants or can have a dog and a fence. Still if you are in a place where anyone can walk up to your car and start vandalizing it at your home, you may want to consider some sort of security measure.
Lilo is actually a big gentile American Staffordshire Terrier and Lab mix according to the local Humane Society we got her from. She had lived at the shelter for almost four years. The abused Dachshund that we adopted has a more dangerous temperament than she does, but her appearance keeps harmful strangers away.

That was a bad day for you. I hope you have a happier 4th of July.

Last edited by 78F350; 07-04-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Removed quote from removed post.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #14
Will there be cake?

Garage
Thank you...

Last edited by tonythetiger; 07-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:12 AM   #15
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

I suppose your temperament would be adequate warning if you could somehow have it on display in the yard.
Now that there's funny.... I don't care who y'are.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 07-04-2019 at 07:24 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #16
Will there be cake?

Garage

Sorry about my post.

And I have the whole thing on video, local and in the cloud from 2 angles
LOL

Last edited by tonythetiger; 07-04-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #17

Polishing is a trickey job. The process is the same, just the starting point different depending on scratch depth.

200 sanding paper (waterpaper) do all sanding with water.
400 etc
then a find cutting compound
finally a cotton cloth with heavy pressure.

With plastic, the cotton makes heat. Need anough heat to melt the top microscopic layer which then blends in the microscopic polishing scratches to a smooth surface. If you use an electric tool, the heat can get too high and you melt too thicker layer and you are worse off.

Try a corner first.
marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
Seal1968

No need to go as low as 200...yikes. Maybe if they lights were REALLY glazed over yellow.

Get some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, 3M compound and a polisher.

They don't appear deep in the plastic - you said he used a chemical, correct?

Anyway, go over it 3 times with the 2000 wet sandpaper...use a drop or two of soap in the water. (could be car wash / dish soap) Keep it WET.

Once rinsed, dry it off. It should look uniformly cloudy. If this has leveled it off, continue with the 3M and polisher a few times. Set the polisher to 1000-1500 rpms.

Buff any left over residue with a clean soft cloth.

I'll bet it looks like glass again.

After a clay bar treatment for the body, buff any swirls on the rest of your car.

Wax and enjoy!

:dance:

Last edited by Seal1968; 07-09-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #19

A Maguire kit is cheap 2 different grits polish and clear coat.It might be enough.I used one last week and mine were very foggy.Wont make them perfect .
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
A Maguire kit is cheap 2 different grits polish and clear coat.It might be enough.I used one last week and mine were very foggy.Wont make them perfect .
I used the 3m kit several years ago with great results, but it took hours. I will repeat the process and redo both headlights. I would rather drive it then sweat in my garage but...