Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

top engine cover access

I can easily get to it on my '98 (clear plastic rear window), but on my '07 the solid rear glass window interferes where i can't flip the top up forward and out of the way. The glass panel interferes with the headrest/roll bar thingy. Is there a trick? Thanks!

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Love to know if anyone knows the fix....I too find the glass window on my 987 makes engine access very challenging.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
It takes a bit of finagling, but I can fold mine to where the glass it pretty much folded against the roll bar. Just keep putting the roof down until you have enough slack to fold, then use the strap.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
It takes a bit of finagling, but I can fold mine to where the glass it pretty much folded against the roll bar. Just keep putting the roof down until you have enough slack to fold, then use the strap.
Yep, that's what I do - fold it up against the roll bar. The strap should be long enough to hook onto the bow.

Be sure to check the power steering fluid level when you're in there. Most people don't bother and it will probably be low.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

The best trick I copied for engine access is to remove the trunk lid and if necessary the deck lid cover.It is amazing how much easier it is from a comfortable angle. You can see things better also. The trunk lid is just 4 bolts.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I'm new to Boxsters, and was trying to change my air filter today, but had the same problem when trying to flip the roof/rear glass forward. It keeps hitting the headrest/rollbar.

Most of the guides say open the top until the front of the top is 4" - 10" away from the windshield. Sounds like you're saying that's not enough and I should keep raising it until the rear of the top can flip forward. Do I have that right?

If so, how much distance between the front of the top and the windshield is probably about right?
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I'm new to Boxsters, and was trying to change my air filter today, but had the same problem when trying to flip the roof/rear glass forward. It keeps hitting the headrest/rollbar.

Most of the guides say open the top until the front of the top is 4" - 10" away from the windshield. Sounds like you're saying that's not enough and I should keep raising it until the rear of the top can flip forward. Do I have that right?

If so, how much distance between the front of the top and the windshield is probably about right?
I generally put the top back until the front part is right above my head. This should allow you enough room/slack to fold the window to where it's not hitting into the roll bar.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I generally put the top back until the front part is right above my head. This should allow you enough room/slack to fold the window to where it's not hitting into the roll bar.
I played some trial & error with the top position and got it to the point where I can flip it forward, but it doesn't stay in place, like all of the videos show it does. Why is this not working for me?

Also, I have the Bose option and I think there's a speaker box right behind the headrests too, right? Does that have to be removed too?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Also, I have the Bose option and I think there's a speaker box right behind the headrests too, right? Does that have to be removed too?
In a 986 the speaker box/rear storage compartment sits on top of the engine access cover and you will need to remove it for engine access. I am not sure about the 987.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I played some trial & error with the top position and got it to the point where I can flip it forward, but it doesn't stay in place, like all of the videos show it does. Why is this not working for me?

Yes you must take the speaker box out. There is a little strap that is hook & looped under the edge of the rear of the top. Pull the strap lose and then pull it forward and hook it around the front of the top to keep it held up. That is what keeps the tops with a glass window from falling back down.

Pull it along the side side of the top like this picture and hook the strap handle at the front of the top.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-25-2019 at 02:24 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
There is a little strap that is hook & looped under the edge of the rear of the top. Pull the strap lose and then pull it forward and hook it around the front of the top to keep it held up. That is what keeps the tops with a glass window from falling back down.
OK, thank you KRAM. Too late now, but I'll give it another try tomorrow or Monday. With the strap holding it in place, it should make the rest of the job easy. (Famous last words)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #12

KRAM,

Finally got around to doing this. The strap makes the whole thing a lot easier. Also, the Owners Manual has excellent instructions for how to access the top of the engine. (Didn't know that info was in there)

Like most things, once you know how to do it, it's a piece of cake. Next time I change the air filter, the whole thing will take me 15 minutes.

Once again, thanks for your help.