Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Garage
Litronic bulb suggestions please

I recently purchased a used set of litronics to replace my halogen headlights only to find that they have differing bulb colors. One being a white/slight blue, the other more of a white/pink color. I’d like to change out both to a 5000k bulb, but would rather not pay more than $100 or so for a pair. I’ve done some searching on this site and couldn’t find anything recent on suggestions for D2S xenon, 35 watt, 5000k bulbs. Has anyone had any experience with Bosch products (about $37 each on Amazon) or others?

Thanks
Joe

Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #2

I don’t have any direct experience with Bosch. I bought a Phillips D2S on Amazon about 8 months ago for my Mercedes C230 and it works fine. The same bulb is about $37 now which is significantly less than the price I paid.

Someone posted a link to some very inexpensive bulbs on an auction site. (It may have been Particlewave). I was considering those, but I didn’t want to drive around with one headlight out for a week while I waited for shipping. I ordered the Phillips on Amazon on a Saturday morning and it arrived before dinner.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #3

Recommendations for bulbs for Litronics
Here’s the link to a previous discussion. Particlewave’s posts on litronic headlights have been very helpful and if had time to wait for shipping I would have bought the less expensive bulbs he identified.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks KevinH,

I’ll give those a try. Can’t beat the price as long as they don’t do any damage to the headlight lens or assembly.

Joe
Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Particlewave gave me good advice when I restored a set of litronics that I bought inexpensively. (You can read about it here:Advice on Used Litronics) He hasn't given me any bad advice and I think he would share information about a defective product on the forum.

By the way - I decided to buy a pair of the $10 bulbs. I now have two cars that use D2S bulbs. While I normally don't like to stockpile parts, this seems to be product for which making an exception is justified. The bulbs in my Boxster were in the lights when I bought them over 5 years ago. Although I recently replaced one of the bulbs in my Mercedes the other is of unknown age and could be 12-14 years old. The Xenon bulbs do last a long time, but since I've already had one fail having a low-cost replacement handy may be good insurance. Besides, the price of the bulbs may increase when the tariffs kick in.