Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Garage
Engine tap at start up with oil light.

I searched the forum but couldn't find this topic. My wife and I stopped for dinner tonight after an hour's drive and when we returned to the car I had a concerning event happen.

I started my 04 S and had a loud tapping sound occur with the oil light illuminated. I turned off the engine immediately and then turned on the ignition to look at the oil level. (It was full.) I restarted the engine and it sounded normal. I drove home (2 miles) and the car performed normally with no tapping or warning lights.

I just changed the plugs 90 miles ago and the old plugs looked normal. The Boxster has 33,700 miles on it.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
2002 Boxster S

I was about to post the same question when I searched and saw this. I have 2002 Boxster S w/ 72 K. This happened last year, then some months ago. I stopped the car, Checked for an oil leak, checked the oil level and everything was good. Restarted and the car was fine. Happened again about 2 months later and went away after restart. A few nights ago it happened again but this time happened again within a few hours.

The Air/oil separator was changed about 4 years ago. Anyone have any idea what I need to look for? My next option would be to wait until it happens again and put the car in service mode and put a scanner on the car to see if anything comes up.

Last edited by john12312; 07-27-2021 at 11:08 AM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #3

I can't believe no one replied to the first post in 2019. Forget the scanner, what is it going to tell you? Get a mechanics stethoscope and locate the noise. If you are lucky, it might be an exhaust leak.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #4

Scope isn't going to tell you anything.

What oil are you putting in, how often are you changing it, what was the weather like outside? Ever replace the cam actuator pads?
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #5

What does the tapping sound like?

I've seen bad starters click like this. If that's the case the oil light will go on when this happens as the sensors expect to see pressure as the starter cranks but if there is no crank then there is no pressure.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2021, 07:03 AM   #6
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Scope isn't going to tell you anything.

What oil are you putting in, how often are you changing it, what was the weather like outside? Ever replace the cam actuator pads?
Mobil 1 10w-40 SYN, change every 5K or at start of fall, spring and summer weather only, I haven't changed those and I doubt the previous owner did as the car had 50K when I acquired it. If it needs to be done hopefully I can do it myself.

Last edited by john12312; 07-28-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #7
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
What does the tapping sound like?

I've seen bad starters click like this. If that's the case the oil light will go on when this happens as the sensors expect to see pressure as the starter cranks but if there is no crank then there is no pressure.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
It's not a loud tapping but definitely there and oil light goes on. I haven't kept the car running long enough to determine if the tapping accelerates when I depress the gas pedal.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:10 AM   #8
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMsurprise View Post
I can't believe no one replied to the first post in 2019. Forget the scanner, what is it going to tell you? Get a mechanics stethoscope and locate the noise. If you are lucky, it might be an exhaust leak.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Thanks. STL-986 agrees.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:23 AM   #9

Long before I would get out the stethoscope, I would be reaching for my oil pressure test kit that uses a tested mechanical gauge to tell me what the oil pressure is doing when the noise occurs.

It could be something as simple as the $20 oil pump piston and spring update kit that Porsche released some years back to address low oil pressure at idle on these cars; or it could be something more complicated that requires further investigation before the noise becomes constant..........
Old 07-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Long before I would get out the stethoscope, I would be reaching for my oil pressure test kit that uses a tested mechanical gauge to tell me what the oil pressure is doing when the noise occurs.

It could be something as simple as the $20 oil pump piston and spring update kit that Porsche released some years back to address low oil pressure at idle on these cars; or it could be something more complicated that requires further investigation before the noise becomes constant..........
Thanks. I'll pick up a test kit. Looks like they can be had for under $50. Do you recommend any particular brand? I'm sure there are plenty of vids on YouTube on how to test and where to connect.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #11

There are a ton of kits out there, I personally like the OTC kit which I have had for years.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12312 View Post
I was about to post the same question when I searched and saw this. I have 2002 Boxster S w/ 72 K. This happened last year, then some months ago. I stopped the car, Checked for an oil leak, checked the oil level and everything was good. Restarted and the car was fine. Happened again about 2 months later and went away after restart. A few nights ago it happened again but this time happened again within a few hours.

The Air/oil separator was changed about 4 years ago. Anyone have any idea what I need to look for? My next option would be to wait until it happens again and put the car in service mode and put a scanner on the car to see if anything comes up.

Thanks for searching before posting. You could have some clogged Lifters.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #13
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
There are a ton of kits out there, I personally like the OTC kit which I have had for years.

Thanks. As always, your counsel is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Thanks for searching before posting. You could have some clogged Lifters.
Thanks. Would you know if there's an oil additive that might alleviate the condition?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #15

I'll let JFP chime in with some insight, he always has good thoughts. But would look into what he does mention about the oil pump.

Your last oil change, how much did you put in? seeing any oil leaks on the engine itself underneath?

My first thought is a lifter issue. Depends on the noise cause it could also be the cam pads/chains, but that is usually persistent not just on startup. I would put something in like seafoam right before your next oil change. Such as drive it for 20-40 miles with seafoam and then change your oil & filter. Let the oil drain for an hour and then fill. If it helps then maybe do it 1 more time.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks. Would you know if there's an oil additive that might alleviate the condition?
If you are using a quality full synthetic oil, with high ZDDP and Moly additive content, nothing else is needed.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
I'll let JFP chime in with some insight, he always has good thoughts. But would look into what he does mention about the oil pump.

Your last oil change, how much did you put in? seeing any oil leaks on the engine itself underneath?

My first thought is a lifter issue. Depends on the noise cause it could also be the cam pads/chains, but that is usually persistent not just on startup. I would put something in like seafoam right before your next oil change. Such as drive it for 20-40 miles with seafoam and then change your oil & filter. Let the oil drain for an hour and then fill. If it helps then maybe do it 1 more time.
He needs to know the oiling system is functioning properly before looking elsewhere. It can be a lifter issue, these cars are prone to having lifter problems, but as for using the additive you mention, I am not even going to go there.................
Old 07-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #18
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
If you are using a quality full synthetic oil, with high ZDDP and Moly additive content, nothing else is needed.
Thanks. I saw that OTC on Amazon for about $67. I'll pick it up as it looks like I can use it on my other cars as well. This is connected to the oil pressure sensor under the hood, correct?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #19
2002 Boxster S

Quote:

I added 9.25 QTS MB 1 10w 40 Syn adding 9 then checking the levels I add the other quarter. The attached pic shows the spots I see underneath. I assumed it was old oil on the engine block with A/C condensation but I could be wrong. I've only seen a full oil drop once this year and the rest of the time this. The paper was new about 45 days ago.

Last edited by john12312; 07-28-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks. I saw that OTC on Amazon for about $67. I'll pick it up as it looks like I can use it on my other cars as well. This is connected to the oil pressure sensor under the hood, correct?
Yes, you remove the oil pressure sending unit and connect it there. The OTC unit comes with a complete set of adaptors to fit just about anything, and plan on using the lower pressure gauge.