Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #1

Just bought a 2002 Boxster S!!!

Great car. I love the performance speed and handling. Couple questions though:

1. The thing that the jack and all is placed into; where does that go?? I currently squished it in with the spare tire, but is that really where it is supposed to go?

2. If anyone has an owners manual in pdf format that would be awesome. I really don't want to spend 80 dollars for one.

3. Airbag light is on. According to some of the threads I figured out it needs some electric contact cleaner. So I dosed everything with it (seat belt buckle, under the seat etc), some guy reseted the airbag, with one of the generic tools not the PST or the durametric. But it did clear the airbag light however as soon as I put the seat belt on the airbag light came on again. What should I do?? Am I spraying the correct places? I'll try getting it cleared with a PST but I don't think it is gonna make a diff since the original tool used did clear it for a half second lol... oh well, all is still good it's just a lil red light

bronxballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #2

Hmmm, not sure about the jack question, but I can help you on the others...

Buy a real manual from Sunset in Oregon. It won't be $80... that's evidently the price that your local stealership quoted you, right? Absurd, isn't it? Sunset charges a fraction of what most dealerships charge.

The manual is an invaluable tool and you'll refer to it throughout your ownership experience. I paid $35 for mine and I am glad I have a real manual in hand... pdf versions for each model year can be very hard to find, and I do not believe they are legally created, so that's yet another good reason to buy a real one.

Forget the contact cleaning thing. You need to buy two new seatbelt receptacles, one for each side (from Sunset while you're calling about the manual) and replace them or have them replaced. They go out frequently in our cars and can't be cleaned because it's a thin film wire thingy inside the mechanism that breaks. I think they're about $20 each.

Replacing them isn't that hard. 4 bolts to remove the seat, disconnect the wiring harness and install the seatbelt receptacle and fish the wire into the seat and into the wiring harness... there's a blue plastic retaining pin in the harness that holds the seatbelt wiring plug in place that has to be removed, but that's about as complicated as it gets. Each seat will probably take you about 45 minutes tops if it's the first time you've pulled your seats to work on them.

It's also a great time to vacuum under the seats properly, so get busy!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #3

Not sure what you're asking about the jack, but on my 2002 S the jack sits in a molded foam gizmo that fits into the spare backside, and the toolkit above that, all secured when you screw the wheel in-
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys. I know on Renntech.com they had the manuals listed with a link but I guess the porsche guys sent them a threatening letter and they took off the links. So I know the manuals are out there! If anyone can help me out and provide the link or send me a copy of the pdf I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

bronxballer is offline   Reply With Quote