Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #1

986 and 996 Led Drl Gen 2 Headlights

As some of you might've seen, I've upgraded the tail lights on my 1999 986 with the new 718 style tail lights. They completely transformed the rear end of my car. The only issue was I still had the ugly and dated egg headlights with the orange turn signals. I've recently put on the new Xtreme Motorcars Gen 2 headlights for the 986 and 996 and I can happily say my car looks 20 years newer now. The car just looks absolutely stunning and the build quality of the headlights are amazing. Everywhere I go I get stares and compliments as people think my car is brand new because they've never seen a car with these headlights before. I'm wondering why the headlights weren't the first mod I did to this car haha.****

These are projector headlights as well so the night time visibility is much more improved over the stock headlights. I'm able to see so much more than I used to.

I also made a video demonstrating the lights as well as a few pics so you guys could get a better look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFFTJGziSNo

Here is the link to them for those that are curious:****http://www.vendio.com/stores/www.xtrememotorcars.com/item/car-truck-parts-headlights/porsche-boxster-986-996-mk1-bl/lid=48918472

Last edited by MichaelV; 08-09-2019 at 02:45 PM.
MichaelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done sir. They do look nice. Price seems reasonable also. I will admit that I prefer the OEM. Long live the 'fried eggs'.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Well done sir. They do look nice. Price seems reasonable also. I will admit that I prefer the OEM. Long live the 'fried eggs'.
Thanks! To each his own, but the fried egg headlights didn't fit with the car anymore once I upgraded the tail lights lol. Plus the oem lights all seem to yellow up even if you get them refinished.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #4

I have seen these and have been thinking about getting a set. The thing is my car is white. So these lights make my car look like it has two black eyes. I too did the 718 tail lights, but also installed the Toth rear spoiler.

Question did you have regular headlights or Litronics before? If you had the Lits to do you think these are brighter?

My headlights are in great shape, but the thought of having to replace one Litronic assembly scares the crap out of me LOL.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Those. Look. Awesome.

Definately updates the car. Nice move. I'm sold.

So... now I start saving... and those headlights come first.

Cheers!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Those headlights would look dope on an old Honda Civic with a fart can exhaust.
I can't believe they're still getting people to buy them.

They will be yellowed, peeling and failing electronically in a year or less.
Sorry that you wasted so much money on them because they are junk.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

They look great! Those are very similar to the ones that came with my car. I still have the originals in case I want to install them, but I agree with Starter, they do update the car.
Attached Images

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

First, I applaud anyone willing to spend time, energy and effort (not to mention money) on trying to upgrade and treat these cars well. However, in the end I have to agree with Charles on this one. We seem to be losing the respect and admiration for what this car really is and has become which is a classic in every sense of the word. They are beautifully crafted cars in their own right and we seem to continue to try to turn them into something they were never meant to be by applying more and more makeup. At some point they look more like a street walker rather than the beautiful girl she really is. Again, I take nothing away from what you did and credit you for it. If it's right for you...well done and go for it.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

I've never liked the look of this type of headlight, on any car. Glad you're happy with the mod, though!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
While I think these headlights look better than the old style of the aftermarket lights, i'd still be worried about the quality. The older style had many issues of the LED's burning out with no way to replace them. I hope yours last a long time, but for $1000 i'll be sticking with these.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
I have seen these and have been thinking about getting a set. The thing is my car is white. So these lights make my car look like it has two black eyes. I too did the 718 tail lights, but also installed the Toth rear spoiler.

Question did you have regular headlights or Litronics before? If you had the Lits to do you think these are brighter?

My headlights are in great shape, but the thought of having to replace one Litronic assembly scares the crap out of me LOL.
They make a clear(chrome) version as well. But I think the black matches better with the tail lights. I've seen a white car with the black ones but i can't find the pic. Heres a pic of the white with chrome headlights. And here's the link to those

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-996-MK1-Chrome-LED-DRL-Projector-Headlights-set-or-pair-of-2/181086254028?hash=item2a2994f3cc:g:PJsAAOSwQIFbyQ3 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Those headlights would look dope on an old Honda Civic with a fart can exhaust.
I can't believe they're still getting people to buy them.

They will be yellowed, peeling and failing electronically in a year or less.
Sorry that you wasted so much money on them because they are junk.
These are the gen 2 version and they are updated to not have any of those issues anymore and they also have a warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
While I think these headlights look better than the old style of the aftermarket lights, i'd still be worried about the quality. The older style had many issues of the LED's burning out with no way to replace them. I hope yours last a long time, but for $1000 i'll be sticking with these.
As I said above these are the gen 2 version which have had all those issues corrected and they also come with a warranty so there should be no worry. I've had them on my car for a month now without an issue.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
They look great! Those are very similar to the ones that came with my car. I still have the originals in case I want to install them, but I agree with Starter, they do update the car.
That looks soooooo good. Nice and clean. Do you find they fit well? No gaps here and there? Are you running the 718 lights on the back?

And your wheels... the stock color. I'm missing mine now. I have two sets: gloss black and a semi-metallic grey/silver. I think I'm going to change a set back to the stock color.

PW likely is correct in that a year the lights will peter out, as he is quite knowledgeable about our headlights and tail lights. I'm looking forward to your critique in 12 months... how they've held up.

Now you just need a set of clear side markers.

Cheers!
Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
First, I applaud anyone willing to spend time, energy and effort (not to mention money) on trying to upgrade and treat these cars well. However, in the end I have to agree with Charles on this one. We seem to be losing the respect and admiration for what this car really is and has become which is a classic in every sense of the word. They are beautifully crafted cars in their own right and we seem to continue to try to turn them into something they were never meant to be by applying more and more makeup. At some point they look more like a street walker rather than the beautiful girl she really is. Again, I take nothing away from what you did and credit you for it. If it's right for you...well done and go for it.
Streetwalker???!!! Leave Farah Abraham and the Kardashians out of this.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #14

As said, kudos for sure. For that coin, I would rather just do a litronic upgrade. As Particleweave mentioned, most of those aftermarket LED lamps really are pretty bad quality wise. I just ditched my DEPO tail lights to go back to stock. The fit and finish was crap, they looked cheesy in the end, and when I pulled them (I didn’t install them) the housing was all broken and worthless. Threw them away. I’ve got relatively clear stock headlights with upgraded lamps and I just got my silver corners, which makes the amber work better IMO.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Got to agree 100%, one of the things I love about my gen 1 S is its age and originality. No one wants to see their granny in a miniskirt and high heels.

Embrace age and let your boxster embrace it too. If these cars ever do start to become collectable it will be the standard ones that people want.

Yes those headlights may be made well but made better that the OEM ones? nah

Its great your investing time and money in your car but do it in other ways

Last edited by YellowS2000; 05-16-2019 at 11:18 PM.
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #16

I have to agree that I prefer the OEM style, but that's not what this thread is about.
Kudos to OP for doing what he wants to - it's not my style but they do look nice and I'm sure the light output is improved over the halogens
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That looks soooooo good. Nice and clean. Do you find they fit well? No gaps here and there? Are you running the 718 lights on the back?

And your wheels... the stock color. I'm missing mine now. I have two sets: gloss black and a semi-metallic grey/silver. I think I'm going to change a set back to the stock color.

PW likely is correct in that a year the lights will peter out, as he is quite knowledgeable about our headlights and tail lights. I'm looking forward to your critique in 12 months... how they've held up.

Now you just need a set of clear side markers.

Cheers!
I don't know how old they are because they came with the car, but feel free to remind me in a year and I'll report back.

The fit is very nice. My only complaint is that they don't lock in place and you can wiggle them out. Unlike of the originals, where you have to use the tool to rotate the cam. It seems to me that the tabs where the cam locks into don't have lobes to lock the cam in place. If I get a change I'll post pics. I found a workaround to keep the cam from rotating and so far it's holding up well.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:51 AM   #18

Quote:
At some point they look more like a street walker rather than the beautiful girl she really is.
Even beautiful girls use different eye shadow than they did nearly 20 years ago.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #19

led headlights

MichaelV, I like the looks of them big time and if you like them thats all that matters.
MaddogsMotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
These are the gen 2 version and they are updated to not have any of those issues anymore and they also have a warranty.

As I said above these are the gen 2 version which have had all those issues corrected and they also come with a warranty so there should be no worry. I've had them on my car for a month now without an issue.
I understand your optimism, but your statement is false. The "new" version is simply an updated look. The materials and LEDs are the same and some have already failed.

The first generation also had a warranty, but it was nearly impossible to get anyone to honor it. I know that a certain member here had to wait almost 2 years to get a replacement from Xtreme and still had the same quality issues.

Best of luck, though.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote