Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 05:32 AM   #1

Power steering leak

A few weeks ago while parking my car I developed a massive power steering fluid leak, appeared to dump out all at once. Yesterday, I replaced the pump and reservoir. Fired the car up, turned the steering wheel back and forth a few times. Same loud "growl" as before and the same massive power steering fluid dump. I looked under the car while it was running, turn the wheel and saw fluid spraying from somewhere. I looked down into the engine compartment and the top is dry Any thoughts of what failure is or where to look? Seven hours of time wasted changing out the pump. FRUSTRATED. Please help.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #2

Refill the steering system, add a small amount of UV dye for hydraulic fluid, run the system, check underneath the car with a UV light; the source of the leak will light up like it was Chistmas....
Old 09-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #3

Garage
Following JFP's advice is your best bet.
I had a mystery power steering leak/failure that turned out to be the high pressure line that had chaffed thru. The rubber grommet at one of the support brackets had popped out of the bracket and the line had been rubbing against the metal bracket instead of being supported by it. I spent an hour trying to find the leak as it was not readily visible even though the general area where the leak was located was obvious.
Snaking the original line out and getting the replacement back in took a couple more hours.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #4

Leak found

The power steering return line rubbed up against the exhaust manifold and burned a hole through it. Can the line be removed without taking out the pump again?
Old 09-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #5

I must admit I've been looking for a suitable power steering line shield that's on the market. Keep hearing stories about PS lines being cooked
Old 09-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
The power steering return line rubbed up against the exhaust manifold and burned a hole through it. Can the line be removed without taking out the pump again?
Flouese,
I was able to replace the metal portion of the high pressure line without removing the PS pump. It was necessary to remove the belt and loosen the AC compressor mounting bolts to lift the compressor up a bit and slide the line under it. As I said in my previous response snaking the line into place was a bit of a challenge as it goes around and under the AC compressor, but not difficult just challenging. As I recall I found some instructions somewhere, maybe on the Pelican site.

Just realized you're asking about the return line, ignore what I said above...!

Last edited by A8ked; 09-14-2021 at 09:00 AM. Reason: adding details
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
Flouese,
I was able to replace the metal portion of the high pressure line without removing the PS pump. It was necessary to remove the belt and loosen the AC compressor mounting bolts to lift the compressor up a bit and slide the line under it. As I said in my previous response snaking the line into place was a bit of a challenge as it goes around and under the AC compressor, but not difficult just challenging. As I recall I found some instructions somewhere, maybe on the Pelican site.

Just realized you're asking about the return line, ignore what I said above...!
Thanks. Going for it. I will loosen the AC compressor just to give me a little wiggle room.