Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
North Idaho VSO

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to neumaiek
Unhappy AOS Frustration

Good morning!

2002 Boxter S with 90k miles has a really bad AOS that I am in the process of replacing. Big problem for me is releasing the clamp on the outside of the AOS. Yes, it is in a really bad place to get to but it seems as thought that "squeeze" clamp is just not willing to release. I am very very careful not to do anything that could break that fragile clamp. I am not even concerned at thi point about the clamp at the bottom of the bellows until this issue is solved.

I do understand that this repair is a huge pain but are there any really good approaches to it? I have spent a lot of time on YouTube and any internet resources figuring it out but yes, it is all the same. No one talks about the clamp issue.

Thank you for any time and attention to my challenge here.

Kurt

neumaiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #2

That squeeze clamp is a huge PITA. Once I got mine released and the AOS out, I removed that clamp and threw it as far as I could and replaced it with the screw type clamp. Makes future replacements tremendously easier.

Good luck with getting it released. Not much that can be relayed for help other than stick to it until you get it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Do you have good hose clamp pliers?
I think it is impossible without the cable-type Hose clamp for reaching up there. Best 15 bucks you'll spend
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

This isn't rocket science, I believe. I'm not understanding why anyone wouldn't just cut the bellows and pull it out. Then, get your hand in there and remove the clamp. Voila! Magic. An illusion?

I mean, a new one is going back in and with that handy blue-pull-clamp... done.

Might save some serious time. I know it did for me.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
This isn't rocket science, I believe. I'm not understanding why anyone wouldn't just cut the bellows and pull it out. Then, get your hand in there and remove the clamp. Voila! Magic. An illusion?

that is what I ended up doing
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Garage
How about that 6mm bolt attaching the AOS? It's proving a little tough as you can get a ratchet on it but not keep enough pressure to keep the socket firmly on the bolt with one hand. I got the lower one loose, but that was because I could get a wrench on it.

Update: got it with the help of a 6-point deep well and long handle ratchet. Now having fun with the upper vacuum "squeeze" clamp. That special clamp tool is great for the lower one!

Last edited by Newsguy; 04-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Newsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
North Idaho VSO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
that is what I ended up doing
I haven't arrived at the bottom of the AOS and the bellows clamp. I am severely stuck on the crankcase vent hose "squeeze" clamp on the outside of the housing. It seems like after al the miles that it isn't compressing properly. I can't imagine the work required if that clamp breaks and it all needs replacing.

Yep, I am saving the bellows part for last after the bolts are out to just yank it. I have the new clam provided with an attached clamp as part of the whole package from Pelican! The upper hose to throttle body was messed up too.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #8

Get the right tool for the squeeze clamp and it's a whole lot easier.
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
I just used a pair of big pliers, set it to clamp no further then what was need to squeeze the tabs and it popped right off for me.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:

This is what I do. Makes the job so easy and the new AOS comes with one.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumaiek View Post
I haven't arrived at the bottom of the AOS and the bellows clamp. I am severely stuck on the crankcase vent hose "squeeze" clamp on the outside of the housing. It seems like after al the miles that it isn't compressing properly. I can't imagine the work required if that clamp breaks and it all needs replacing.

Yep, I am saving the bellows part for last after the bolts are out to just yank it. I have the new clam provided with an attached clamp as part of the whole package from Pelican! The upper hose to throttle body was messed up too.

Thanks!
This makes the spring clamp removal/installation much easier:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Flexible-Wire-Fuel-Oil-Water-Hose-Clamp-Plier-Tool-with-Long-Reach/560657210?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=529&adid=22222222227110113236&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=233467549918&wl4=pla-385747018796&wl5=1014254&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354406&wl11=online&wl12=560657210&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw19DlBRCSARIsAOnfRei97w7OFi45ECUNIL_R 1bfg2_86VMMRJkLyIuI2mLXOc6NrVwUkA8YaAvYAEALw_wcB

As for the "squeeze" clamp you need to squeeze and wiggle with quite a bit of force/pull to get those loose.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

That's a fantastic price! But, why aren't you just cutting off the bellows? This tool is unecessary for that bellows...
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #13

That tool makes putting the bellows clamp back on soo much easier.
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
North Idaho VSO

Garage
Quote:
That's a fantastic price! But, why aren't you just cutting off the bellows? This tool is unecessary for that bellows...
The tool looks super! I do have the new clamp from Pelican Parts with the clamp already on for the install.

The problem is not with the bellows. It is the squeeze clamp on the right side of the AOS that will not budge. I can sort of get both hands involved accessing it from the top of the engine - but it will not move. With 90k on the car and the fragility of that type of clamp (definitely made to be serviced when the engine is out of the car) I just have to consider treating it with care. If there is a clamp for that, it would be super (if it can operate in the tight confines). It would be disastrous if that connection were damaged. Once that connection is addressed I can then do the two bolts and really don't care if the bellows is destroyed in getting the old AOS out as I have the new replacement.
2011 Range Rover Lux
Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #15

Garage
Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumaiek View Post
The tool looks super! I do have the new clamp from Pelican Parts with the clamp already on for the install.

The problem is not with the bellows. It is the squeeze clamp on the right side of the AOS that will not budge. I can sort of get both hands involved accessing it from the top of the engine - but it will not move. With 90k on the car and the fragility of that type of clamp (definitely made to be serviced when the engine is out of the car) I just have to consider treating it with care. If there is a clamp for that, it would be super (if it can operate in the tight confines). It would be disastrous if that connection were damaged. Once that connection is addressed I can then do the two bolts and really don't care if the bellows is destroyed in getting the old AOS out as I have the new replacement.
When I first removed my AOS from my 02 S, I had my son push the buttons while standing on the passenger side, and I was laying on top of the motor pushing with my thumbs from the driver side. Lay a blanket over the rear fender and motor so you don't scratch the paint. On another occasion, I did use a large screwdriver to give the edges a nudge while I pressed the button, when I was alone. Just don't put too much pressure with the screwdriver, just enough to get the oring seal to budge.
Its easy once that oring has been moved. Yes, I removed it twice, since I found I pinched the orange gasket going into the block on the first try. Pelican has the orange gasket. Only a few bucks.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You could sawzall it out if so inclined. No?
Old 04-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #17
Who's askin'?

Are you (OP) talking about the squeeze-tab ring/ clamp on the end of the short accordion hose, which then goes to the TB?
If so, yes, I agree.... sucks a$$. But a new hose is cheap. Break it off, be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Or just take the hose off of the throttle body side. Then unbolt the AOS and take it out with the hose still attached. Then you can work on the other end of the hose out of the car.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #19
North Idaho VSO

Garage
Smile

Success!! I cleaned the fitting with WD40 and banged on it a little to losen any crap that accumulated over the years. Then got a pliers on the squeeze clamp and managed my other hand to get on the tube and press and wiggle outward. After a bit it slowly disengaged. YAY! No damage.

I was actually contemplating having to replace the whole breather tube and after looking at the schematics on the parts sheets on ********************************************.com decided that the Boxster design would allow for a not to bad replacement of the breather hose as I could get to all of it. But luckily not the case.

Next the bolts and removal (I am expecting to just yank it and take out the bottom of the bellows and clamp like a Neanderthal). Hopefully the installation is as advertised. Then it is on to cleaning out the intake and throttle body.

Thank you all for the great ideas as they did all make a difference. One thing though.. that remote spring clamp tool goes for >$20 at WalMart and other places want $140+. Good thing I don't need it!
2011 Range Rover Lux
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #20
Need For Speed

Garage
Good to hear. Like I posted, I used a pair of pliers also.