Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Wet caliper bolts

I replaced the front pads and rotors on my 986. When I removed the caliper bolts on the right side of the car, they were wet and smelled of brake fluid.
Has anyone seen this?
The brakes were working fine and there is no evidence of any fluid leaks.
Thanks

BFlath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlath View Post
I replaced the front pads and rotors on my 986. When I removed the caliper bolts on the right side of the car, they were wet and smelled of brake fluid.
Has anyone seen this?
The brakes were working fine and there is no evidence of any fluid leaks.
Thanks
There's an obviously leak someplace, or was one, or someone was exceptionally sloppy in opening/closing the inboard bleeder valve recently. Any track days recently?

Regardless, I'd not drive until you figure out what, where etc. and remedy. Use brake cleaner to clean all thoroughly removing old fluid. Then do a simple pressure test on the system using a power bleeder to identify the leak point. Hopefully just a loose bleeder valve. Doubtful a caliper piston as you would've seen evidence of on old pads.

Pix would be helpful but with that much fluid present you need to exercise caution and not drive as void in your system is quite substantial...

Good luck
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll try to get some pictures.
I should have clarified that only the caliper bolt threads were wet. The head of the bolts and the entire caliper were dry. There is no evidence of leaking anywhere on the pads or caliper.
BFlath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

If it was only the threads, maybe it was from a spill in the past during brake bleeding or something? Or maybe it was some homegrown attempt at anti-seize by the previous owner?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

I've just redone all the brake lines on my RHD Boxster and found the worst bit of corrosion about 6" from where the line meets the flexi hose in the front right wheel arch. The line drops down and then up and behind the inner wing and then bends to take it across the car. It's difficult to see unless you look carefully. When I saw the corrosion, I rubbed it and brake fluid seeped out. The line broke very easily as I removed it. Have a look there as that may drop onto the caliper bolts if braking in a turn. Has your brake fluid level dropped?

Nobbie is offline   Reply With Quote