Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Tom Sawyer is a magical, time changing song.
Yeah! I don't know why it seemed to fit, but I drove it off the lot with Rush screaming. It was almost magical! it's off to a grand start!

wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #22

Meatloaf -- Bat Out Of Hell
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #23
Custom User Title Here

Garage
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
PERFECT!!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:07 AM   #25

Garage
What cunningr said
Old 03-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #26

I have learned about some new music in this thread, thanks!
In no particular order: Radiohead, 1970's Roots Reggae, Dub music from the same time period, The Clash, Grateful Dead, Early Queen <"Night at The Opera", The Orb, Pink Floyd, Arctic Monkeys, Miles Davis, Florence & The Machine, Hendrix, The Libertines, Little Feat (50 years strong!), Silversun Pickups....YMMV....
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if you are into jazz as well as more thoughtful electronic music, check out what is happening with modern jazz these days ...

gogo penguin
a.d.h.d.
badbadnotgood
christian scott

and if you really want to slow it down, check out the soundtrack work by jonny greenwood, cliff martinez, mica levi.

if you like rush (ie, 'prog') and jazz, check out the interface of the two - early fusion - atlantis by mccoy tyner, gateway by dave holland, and of course bright sized life. and the best modern prog i've heard recently is the album reflections of a floating world by elder.
Great stuff! Thanks!!!!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #28

This thread is interesting, but it's almost like asking, "What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?"
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
Great stuff! Thanks!!!!
alright, for a complete derail. if you are liking the christian scott et al, check out makaya mccraven for more of the same. for some real ambient noise, anything by tim hecker is good. for slow with vocals and a side of odd (ie, micheal buble after a night of cough syrup and tequila) try the album 'bleu jane' by julien sagot (sorry, gotta get my canadian content in). and if you like that then anything by damien jurado is good if a bit more contempary. and boards of canada hey; dayvan cowboy that video!!!

https://youtu.be/A2zKARkpDW4
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
I have learned about some new music in this thread, thanks!
In no particular order: Radiohead, 1970's Roots Reggae, Dub music from the same time period, The Clash, Grateful Dead, Early Queen <"Night at The Opera", The Orb, Pink Floyd, Arctic Monkeys, Miles Davis, Florence & The Machine, Hendrix, The Libertines, Little Feat (50 years strong!), Silversun Pickups....YMMV....
rob, of the black clothes and greying hair ilk, check out the album 'atomic subsonic' by dubmatix for a ranking canadian selektor. if you want bass that will reverberate so deep into space and time that your neighbours will hate you years before they move next door to you, check out the bug, specifically this thing:

https://youtu.be/X9BknFPyJbM
Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
We seem to have similar musical tastes..... I saw 'GoGo Penguin' at a small venue during the Jazz Fest last summer. Simply amazing. Another act in that genre is 'Fox Capture Plan' If you are really into Prog/Jazz/Fusion check out 'Ambient Jazz Ensemble' or 'Dean Watson'. For a harder edge and real virtuosity listen to anything by 'Tribal Tech' from the 90's through the 00's. And for a jazz/rock guitar send up pick up Lee Ritenour's 'Six String Theory' with Slash, Lee, Neal Schon, George Benson, Keb Mo and others. It is a superb album to drive to.
thanks. i spent some well earned friday night me time working my way through your selections. i heard a thing on cbc the other night that i have yet to explore; apparently prince's last guitarist is from toronto and just put out a solo album that is 'fusiony' and very influenced by ********************es brew; donna grantis i think? the few tracks they played on the radio sounded proper.

Last edited by The Radium King; 03-27-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: well, apparently pelican doesn't like miles davis ...
Old 03-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #32
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
This thread is interesting, but it's almost like asking, "What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?"
That's easy, Maple Walnut!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #33

Awesome Radium King, thank you! Good call.

Quote:
rob, of the black clothes and greying hair ilk, check out the album 'atomic subsonic' by dubmatix for a ranking canadian selektor. if you want bass that will reverberate so deep into space and time that your neighbours will hate you years before they move next door to you, check out the bug, specifically this thing:

https://youtu.be/X9BknFPyJbM
Old 03-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
apparently prince's last guitarist is from toronto and just put out a solo album that is 'fusiony' and very influenced by ********************es brew; donna grantis i think? the few tracks they played on the radio sounded proper.
Quite a surprising album by Donna Grantis, beautiful guitar work ....... some moody ambient jazz...... and then some searing guitar solo work with her dualling Mike McCready, Pearl Jams guitarist. She grew up in Mississauga around the corner from where I lived in the late '80's. Takes Jazz Fusion on a new path.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #35

A great thread......keeping my ears (and wallet) open....keep 'em coming...all genres...or is it all 1 genre?....some great new (to me, at least) finds.....
Old 03-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #36

Duh...Life is a Highway, Rascal Flatts, no contest. Second Place, Free Ride, Edgar Winter. Both with the flat six singing harmony at, oh, about 5,000 RPM.
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
just looking for patterns in the chaos.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #38

Garage
Tunes

Jeff Beck is always good, and lately for some reason I have been on a Collective Soul kick.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Jeff Beck is always good, and lately for some reason I have been on a Collective Soul kick.
Beck has been one of my guitar heroes since the '60's Check out his performance at Ronnie Scot's Live in 2007. Brilliant. Collective Soul is a very underrated band who deserve more recognition for the great music they put out in the late 90's early 00's. They are still touring, I saw them at a venue here in Winnipeg a couple of years ago.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #40

built in unit only plays CDs, not MP3, so......