Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #21

As luck would have it,..I buy the car for 9K, The good news,..Interior is very nice its clean no rips Etc,Exterior also nice a very dings (you notice if you look),Runs great ,I think the 2.7 Ltr after 3K RPM pulls fine test drove about a half hr before purchase Hot dogged it pretty hard,.no issues (on Sat).Go for a drive last night,Hot dogged it again ran great ,.got fuel got in the driveway about a 20 min drive and CHECK ENGINE Light is ON and still on,.gas cap secure, damn,. Ideas... Thanks Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
As luck would have it,..I buy the car for 9K, The good news,..Interior is very nice its clean no rips Etc,Exterior also nice a very dings (you notice if you look),Runs great ,I think the 2.7 Ltr after 3K RPM pulls fine test drove about a half hr before purchase Hot dogged it pretty hard,.no issues (on Sat).Go for a drive last night,Hot dogged it again ran great ,.got fuel got in the driveway about a 20 min drive and CHECK ENGINE Light is ON and still on,.gas cap secure, damn,. Ideas... Thanks Frank
We need to know what code(s) is prompting the CEL. Once you get a scanner on it, we can help more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #23

Cunningr,..I was told the PO fixed it up for a friend to purchase,then the friend backed out,I was shocked to find on a corner lot( PO just sold it to them ) which I have never and would never buy from,But, I got the invoice's from the salesperson,called people about it,..it all checked out So I purchased it,..it had 9800.00 in very recent receipts Oct, Nov 2018 plus new top with defrost feature on a glass window update,new brigstone tire's and even misc work done on it 6 months ago,.o2 sensor,new belt tentioner,rear brakes' just unbelievable,..I'am buying the PO,...several lunches for his Kindness !!,..BUT expect possible issue's with check engine lite,..79.525 miles,..Maybe,..Just 80 K service lite,.LOL Ive been lucky enough so far..So we shall see..Iam sure my streak is over !
Old 03-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #24

No automated "just time for service" light. Gotta know the codes to have any idea. Blinking or just solid? Blinking? Get flatbedded. Solid, ok but just to someone who can read the code, With any luck, a generic code reader will pick it up and then you can post here and people will help. But some systems only a special Porsche aware computer can read and those are usually at good Porsche specializing shops or Dealers. Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #25

So Far a solid light no blinking,.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Cunningr,..I was told the PO fixed it up for a friend to purchase,then the friend backed out,I was shocked to find on a corner lot( PO just sold it to them ) which I have never and would never buy from,But, I got the invoice's from the salesperson,called people about it,..it all checked out So I purchased it,..it had 9800.00 in very recent receipts Oct, Nov 2018 plus new top with defrost feature on a glass window update,new brigstone tire's and even misc work done on it 6 months ago,.o2 sensor,new belt tentioner,rear brakes' just unbelievable,..I'am buying the PO,...several lunches for his Kindness !!,..BUT expect possible issue's with check engine lite,..79.525 miles,..Maybe,..Just 80 K service lite,.LOL Ive been lucky enough so far..So we shall see..Iam sure my streak is over !
Enjoy, I love mine! I am just a leary shopper, my Dad sold used cars! Lol
Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #27

LOL,..Yea me to.. I wanted to buy 2 others before this car,..but they got sold after being on those lots for several months, I get interested and they sold them both within a day or so of my decision to buy,So this time with all the info its either buy it or wave good bye So I bought it,..!!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #28

results are kinda in on the PPI,..I had done today,..Solid check engine light,.is 02 sensors,.it just passed emissions a week prior, bad motor and tranny mounts or will be soon and I have a smokey oil smell or burnt oil smell,they said spark plug tubes are leaking on exhaust. ??
Old 03-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #29

Garage
O2 sensors and Spark Plug Tubes are easy and relatively cheap fixes. You should be doing a happy dance if those are the only significant findings ! :dance:
Enjoy the car and post a photo or two! Congrats!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
O2 sensors and Spark Plug Tubes are easy and relatively cheap fixes. You should be doing a happy dance if those are the only significant findings ! :dance:
Enjoy the car and post a photo or two! Congrats!
And both are common at the age of these cars. One little thing to keep in mind if you do the tubes yourself (plugs too while you’re there) is the old tubs can be brittle and crack/break. Just be a little careful removing. There are several threads on tool hacks to get it done. It’s quite easy, and make sure you do all of them + o-rings.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #31

message deleted

Last edited by azlvr; 03-10-2019 at 06:28 AM.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #32

General wisdom says do not buy a Boxster in Colorado, they're horribly overpriced in this state - like most car brands are (for some reason cars are just $1,000-5,000 more to buy here than elsewhere for the same miles and condition).

I bought mine in California and road tripped it back because it was about $3,000 cheaper, even counting the cost of flights, fuel, food, and a good shop to inspect the car. I was able to get a well-optioned 2000 Boxster S with full maintenance records and a 2005 3.4L Cayman S engine swap done in 2005 with 100,000/54,000 (chassis/engine) miles on it for $8,000. Heated sport seats, heated glass rear window, M030 suspension, Litronic headlights, sport classic wheels, and the full navigation package.
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #33

Here is one data point of anecdotal evidence about used car prices in Colorado. I sold my 2012 Acura TL on Craigslist here in NJ 30 minutes after I listed it. The buyer was a used car dealer. He told me the bulk of his main business was buying used cars here and shipping them west to resell them for more money, and that is what he would do with my car. My car was fairly clean but not perfect by any means and had 128.000 miles on it. I was looking to get on the lower end of KBB private sale and got the KBB trade-in price, and I was a happy camper selling my car in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
General wisdom says do not buy a Boxster in Colorado, they're horribly overpriced in this state - like most car brands are (for some reason cars are just $1,000-5,000 more to buy here than elsewhere for the same miles and condition).

I bought mine in California and road tripped it back because it was about $3,000 cheaper, even counting the cost of flights, fuel, food, and a good shop to inspect the car. I was able to get a well-optioned 2000 Boxster S with full maintenance records and a 2005 3.4L Cayman S engine swap done in 2005 with 100,000/54,000 (chassis/engine) miles on it for $8,000. Heated sport seats, heated glass rear window, M030 suspension, Litronic headlights, sport classic wheels, and the full navigation package.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #34

Yea,..that is a sweet buy for sure,..This car was a SoCal-AZ car from the start

and yes,.I do intend on doing the mounts ,tubes ,Etc myself. If I decided to do the IMS solution is that something I can do myself,.or is it smart to let the approved vendor shop install it,I may also look for a low mileage engine and then do it,..and let the original engine just run until something happens.80 K on current engine,..??