Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #1

test driving 2002 Boxter tonight!

Hi, new guy here just starting with all this. I know nothing. I don't even work on cars. But I think I own a screw driver somewhere.

Anyway, test driving tonight.
Hints of 2002 problems I can watch out for feel wise?
Common future service?
Do the convertible roofs leak?
Any common issues 2002's have around 50,000 miles?

Is there a thread like this already?

Will most likely be an owning member soon.

wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

Garage
Sticky in this same area "Thinking of buying a Boxster? - MUST READ"

It's good to start cold. That lets you hear the start up noises (Chain rattle) and if the Secondary Air Pump operates correctly (Vacuum cleaner sound for about 90 seconds).

Driving - get on hwy to feel for excessive vibration and steering straight and try hard braking - should brake in a straight line

And of course there is always a PPI

60k miles is big service interval so at 50k how much has been done

If roof is original (Plastic window (2003 had glass)), there will be wearing at the folds lines. Mine is well worn but doesn't leak. A good roof shouldn't leak

As far as common issues, well there can be many and there can be none (Sounds like our President there) so a PPI really is your best bet identifying

Good luck

Last edited by kk2002s; 03-08-2019 at 07:13 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Sticky in this same area "Thinking of buying a Boxster? - MUST READ"

It's good to start cold. That lets you hear the start up noises (Chain rattle) and if the Secondary Air Pump operates correctly (Vacuum cleaner sound for about 90 seconds).

Driving - get on hwy to feel for excessive vibration and steering straight and try hard braking - should brake in a straight line

And of course there is always a PPI

60k miles is big service interval so at 50k how much has been done

Good luck
Thanks for the input, will read that thread. What is PPI?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

Garage
Pre-Purchase Inspection.
Typically taking the car to a reputable, brand knowledgeable mechanic to look for issues before buying
Old 03-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #5

drove it, enjoyed it a lot. gotta say it looks and feels like very new condition. I was already planning the inspection, but after driving it, and looking it over a while, I think I'll just get it and hope for the best. had a few owners, lots of maintenance done, all clean bill according to carfax.

I look forward to learning a TON here!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

if its a no pressure type purchase,.I would have it looked at,..However I lost out on 2 ( seemingly ) very nice cars waiting to get a PPI done,Leave a deposit and have it checked, But no one is perfect and your info may not reflect the true shape,..I just bought a 02 base,..for 9 K 80 K miles the receipts total damn near 10.500 worth of work in the last 3 months,..I too bought first,..and PPI 2nd,..and only due to talking with the shops and the PO. Once those cars grab you buy the ass,.there is no going back to a normal driver,I have always had to have had some type of sports car,..and now Iam back,..!!! LOL
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

I see a bunch of SERVICES on the carfax, some details, some no details.... is there anyway to see service detail from 3 different states, 3 different owners? I'm reading about replacing IMS< and serpintine... wondering if any of that stuff has already been done. silly to do it twice, silly to wait for things to break and cost twice as much. Thoughts?

10k then another 10k soon after, exceeds my fun money for a joy ride car at this time.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
I see a bunch of SERVICES on the carfax, some details, some no details.... is there anyway to see service detail from 3 different states, 3 different owners? I'm reading about replacing IMS< and serpintine... wondering if any of that stuff has already been done. silly to do it twice, silly to wait for things to break and cost twice as much. Thoughts?

10k then another 10k soon after, exceeds my fun money for a joy ride car at this time.
Overall, these are great cars. They aren’t perfect cars ( are there any?) but they really are great cars. The driving experience is sublime, and bang for the buck, can’t be beat. Having said that, they are not without their potential issues. Like ANY car that is 16-17yrs old there may be deferred maintenance that needs to be taken care of. The IMS thing is what it is. For some, it’s everything, for others, no big deal. It IS something to consider as a maintenance item and can be pricy, depending. A PPI is generally a must do, but, sometimes, taking a leap of faith can be rewarding. It simply boils down to your threshold of risk. If you feel it is worth the money to step in and go for it, I say do it. But, keep in mind, things can go sideways and potentially be expensive to fix. Welcome to the world of “The Badge”!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:50 AM   #9

I'm going to see how much detail the dealer can get for me on previous service. Just want to know what's already done and then I know would is coming - in scheduled maintenance. Like, if the IMS has already been replaced, then I know I PROBABLY won't have to do that at the next clutch swap out. etc etc

Guessing most nice cars like this keep a pretty accurate service record, or do I assume to much?
I know I would if it was mine.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #10

And thank you all for your time and input. MUCH appreciated! Seems like a great community!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #11

Bought it. Prepare for the onslaught of NEWB questions.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #12

Garage
Enjoy and have fun. I purchased an 04S last March with 29,7K miles. No service history but seemed in good shape took it in for the 30k service and did a few extras like the belt, plugs etc just so I would have a good baseline. Then a few months later got two codes on the tiptronic transmission and had the fluid changed. No problems since. Worried about the IMS initially but the cam deviations are rock solid so not that concerned any longer. I would recommend a durametric tool so you can pull data from the car or use it to monitor conditions and have fun.
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvd View Post
Enjoy and have fun. I purchased an 04S last March with 29,7K miles. No service history but seemed in good shape took it in for the 30k service and did a few extras like the belt, plugs etc just so I would have a good baseline. Then a few months later got two codes on the tiptronic transmission and had the fluid changed. No problems since. Worried about the IMS initially but the cam deviations are rock solid so not that concerned any longer. I would recommend a durametric tool so you can pull data from the car or use it to monitor conditions and have fun.
Thanks! I am pondering getting a tool, that standalone one that gets rave reviews and I forget the name
Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
Thanks! I am pondering getting a tool, that standalone one that gets rave reviews and I forget the name
OMG. So many good "tool" jokes just waiting...
Old 03-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #15

Garage
I'm a tool but I'm not for sale
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter986 View Post
omg. So many good "tool" jokes just waiting...

ha! :d